Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Alright y'all, I know I know. Why would I do such a thing? I'll explain below. Ultimately I hope to get some kind of simple help DIY help here. If not, I'm ready to dish out some money to fix this issue.

My 2016 Cruze overheated on my way to see family. My coolant was boiling, so I proceeded to twist the cap off slowly to relieve some pressure and to pour in more coolant. Unfortunately, I twisted the cap too far and it blasted off and I lost sight of (it was dark already and I turned my face in fear of getting a face full of scalding water). I looked on the ground, and around the engine and could not locate it. I put in more coolant and tried to make my way to the closest Autozone/OReilly's for more coolant and a replacement coolant resovior cap. The first store I made it to did not have a replacement cap, so the employees sent me another location that was about to close in 15 minutes. On my way to the 2nd location, I hit a bunch of red lights. The car started beeping, and the steam coming out from under my hood, and the temperature gague indicated that my engine was about to blast straight out of the bay.

As I parked, I noticed that my gear would not shift into park. So without thinking about it, I forced it forward and shut the engine off. I have SO much regret because of this moment here. As I popped the hood with my new coolant cap in hand, I noticed my old coolant cap wedged in the gear-shifting mechanism. I went in the car and tried to unjam it by shifting it into Neutral. The shifter would not budge. I managed to unjam it, but now my car won't turn on. The shifter still does not budge.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do?! Any help is much appreciated

So far I have:
- Tried disconnecting the battery to see if some kind of reset will jog the system into turning my car on again. No dice.

P.S. Also, I think the overheating is connected to some PCV valve issues (It currently shakes when the engine is idle). I've aleady had the dealership replace the PCV valve before, and I recognize the shaking as a precursor to the "whistling" sound I heard the first time.

Premium Member
As I popped the hood with my new coolant cap in hand, I noticed my old coolant cap wedged in the gear-shifting mechanism.
Soo it magically teleported into the cabin?

You replace the entire mechanism. 13595922. Don't be so hasty next time. Consider therapy
馃檮.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Soo it magically teleported into the cabin?

You replace the entire mechanism. 13595922. Don't be so hasty next time. Consider therapy
馃檮.
Hey dude, thanks for the response. I don鈥檛 think anyone suggested it 鈥渕agically teleported鈥 there. The cap flew off and became lodged in the mechanism underneath during my drive to the car parts shop. Idk where you got that from.

I rushed into the store because my temperature gauge was up all the way and they were about to close. I needed the cap for the remaining 15 miles otherwise i would continue to lose coolant. I wasn鈥檛 thinking clearly. I鈥檓 looking for a solution to my car situation.

All your colorful commentary aside, if you鈥檙e being serious about replacing the entire mechanism then thank you :)

Premium Member
Hey dude, thanks for the response. I don鈥檛 think anyone suggested it 鈥渕agically teleported鈥 there. The cap flew off and became lodged in the mechanism underneath during my drive to the car parts shop. Idk where you got that from.

I rushed into the store because my temperature gauge was up all the way and they were about to close. I needed the cap for the remaining 15 miles otherwise i would continue to lose coolant. I wasn鈥檛 thinking clearly. I鈥檓 looking for a solution to my car situation.

All your colorful commentary aside, if you鈥檙e being serious about replacing the entire mechanism then thank you :)
I guess I am confused. You lost the coolant cap and it got in the gear shifting mechanism... Which is in the cabin. But the coolant cap is definitely not in the cabin :eek:.

The shift cable could also be bad but that's insanely unlikely. You likely just destroyed the park-lock mechanism.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Premium Member
He

Here is a similar situation I found on here: https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/shifter-got-stuck.4617/
Ah I see. I鈥檓 not really sure what to call that part. I thought the cap somehow slipped past the flexible seal around the shift handle.

Regardless it does the same thing. Same part. Too much force for the shifter. If you want you can just pull it apart and verify before you order. Once you disconnect the shift assembly you should be able to manually shift it with a pliers or something.

Premium Member
I'm not sure where the gearshift switch is. If it's under the hood, it might have gotten messed up by the cap and/or forcing things. If the car doesn't know it's in park/neutral, it won't start. Likewise, the messed up linkage may be causing problems with the shift lock (you can't shift unless your foot is on the foot brake). I'm pretty sure that's
an electrical lock. Bottom line, I think your problem is all in the linkage. Either under the hood, or back in the console.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts