1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yup. Far to many compact cars. Why would people buy a compact car when you cans get an small suv for around the same price.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The focus (not sure about the newest gen) always had bad quality issues but it was hit or miss. You either got a bad one or you got one that was basically perfect.

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
As long as gas prices stay down the market for smaller and fuel efficient cars will be limited.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yessir. Trucks are flying off the lots here where I live because gas is $0.40 cheaper a litre than this time a year ago.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yup. Buy what you can afford, not what looks like a good deal right now. These same people normally can't afford the upkeep for these expensive vehicle they're buying either. They'll be the ones with $60k trucks and complaining about a $1k set of tires for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feel like I must be the only person in America hoping fuel prices go back up. Otherwise it seems we're returning to be bad old days of SUVs (or large CUVs) in every driveway and that general consumer spending will be at the mercy of fuel prices. Okay, rant over.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
As I said my son will be driving soon and asked what he thought about the focus and he said is it's OK. Previously when asked what kind of car he would like, he pointed out a sporty looking Mercedes. Maybe he is starting to get a little more realistic esp since he knows most of it will be on him and I will only pay for so much. Either that or most his friends at school "have Focus" or maybe they are "Cavalier"?

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
I feel like I must be the only person in America hoping fuel prices go back up. Otherwise it seems we're returning to be bad old days of SUVs (or large CUVs) in every driveway and that general consumer spending will be at the mercy of fuel prices. Okay, rant over.
I agree. The price of oil has gone too low. Huge volatility in oil prices causes problems throughout the economy.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
When I have kids, they will work for their first car 100% themselves. Everyone I know who had help doesn't appreciate anything.

That's Old school !

Here is New school , every 1 in my family grew up rough , well educated in the parochial school system for the first 8 grades . then onward to high school in the public school system .. when entering as a freshman I was so well prepared I advanced 2 years ahead of the classs .. by the 4 th year my studies were of secondary education in nature ..

Today Parents that are well off give they 're children every possible advantage to accel in life because we want them to become successful and prosper .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Would buy a Ford C-Max in an instant if we could get the same kind they are selling in Italy. Minivan style doors, full seven passenger carrying capability, six speed manual transmission, a diesel capable of 55 mpg, and not much larger than our Cruze.

But for the POS they are selling here, screw you, ha found many older C-Max owners that feel the same way.

And screw GM marketing as well, that can take that AT and smudge screen out and shove it up their butts. And instead of removing the weather strip from the front and rear windows, should have given side protection, add sills, flare out the fenders so splash shields are not needed, and made fog lamps stock.

Must think the buying public is stupid. Oh go back to a 75 cent key while adding locks to the passenger side and trunk.

·
Registered
379 Posts
gas prices are low and people fail to remember that it wasn't that long ago that we were near $4.00 a gallon.

They go out and buy a larger car or a pickup. Then gas prices will ride their sine wave back up and they will be shaking their collective fists at the president just like they did with Bush in 2008 and Obama in 2012.

In 2008, most of the US was above $4.00 a gallon. You could buy a used Escalade or a used Prius at Carmax for about $25,000. One had virtually zero depreciation, the other was half its original price.

We'll get there again. It'll suck for awhile. Compacts will be more desireable.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
That's Old school !

Here is New school , every 1 in my family grew up rough , well educated in the parochial school system for the first 8 grades . then onward to high school in the public school system .. when entering as a freshman I was so well prepared I advanced 2 years ahead of the classs .. by the 4 th year my studies were of secondary education in nature ..

Today Parents that are well off give they 're children every possible advantage to accel in life because we want them to become successful and prosper .
I agree when it comes to education, and part of that education is having the kids work to buy a car, so they will have a sense of value for it. When something costs you nothing then it is less likely to be looked after properly. Ask anybody who runs a fleet of company cars if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's Old school !

I've observed that first hand.

Go to a Little League game. You'll see kids with $350 thermo-composite bats, $50 batting gloves, $100 cleats, $200 glove....

That bat alone is more than all of my kid's equipment combined....and he has Sever's disease (not really a disease. growth plate in the heels inflamation)so he has to wear $79 cleats or he can hardly walk at the end of a game

I can't say that I have seen it work. The kid with the $99 bat usually hits better than the kid with the $350 bat.:laugh:

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not with my kids or grandkids, my kids are teaching my grandkids how to fend for themselves. Go by that old axiom give fish, feed them for a day, teach them how to fish, feed them for life. Spent hours with my kids with their homework, clear through college.

Best thing you can give your kids is your time. Having great time with my 16 month old grandson, teaching him to put a round peg in a round hole. 6 year old know how to spell and read already, and can count to 10,000. Working on basic math now, teachers tell them to look up multiplication results when they should know these by rote.

Getting back to the Ford Focus, test drove one, so did my wife, those front seats redefined the meaning of uncomfortable, salesman said this was for our safety. How can you drive safely if these seats are killing your back and neck?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Getting back to the Ford Focus, test drove one, so did my wife, those front seats redefined the meaning of uncomfortable, salesman said this was for our safety. How can you drive safely if these seats are killing your back and neck?
I didn't have a problem with the seats. The passenger side dash intrudes a lot into the passenger legroom (so do our Cruzes but not as bad...must be a safety design of some sort). You have to have the seat all the way back which squashes the passenger rear legroom.

99% of the Foci are automatic. I absolutely hate the Powershift DCT. I can occasionally confuse a Volkswagen DSG, usually when approaching a stoplight that turns green before I come to a complete stop. The Ford Powershift was confused all of the time. It was virtually always in the wrong gear, rough shifts, weird off idle and an occasional grind. Maybe I just have a bad driving style for DCTs.

I kinda' liked the 5-speed Focus, but it wasn't really a good value. I could get a plain base sedan (with the ugliest plastic hubcaps ever) and no cruise control for about $1000 more than my Eco with cruise control and forged polished alloy wheels. I am also not too sure about direct injection on the Focus. Doesn't seem to have the problems that Mazda, Hyundai/Kia, and BMW have had with their D/I engines. Maybe I just haven't seen the multiple TSBs that the earlier D/I engines had.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts