Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Simply put, I have a 2013 Honda Fit that does the job well but its too twitchy for long road trips and I need a car with longer legs and is alot more comfortable. I was looking in the TDI's and new Diesels, but being in the trucking industry, I feel the issues with DPF's and DEF will just trickle down to the cars that are using these new emissions systems. So I went ahead and did some research and didn't want to spend more than $14k and the Cruze Eco came out on top. I test drove a certified pre owned 2012 Cruze Eco MT and really liked it and did some numbers, got a pre approval from my credit union and had the dealership print out a PO and now I'm just waiting for the check to clear. Lots of knowledgeable info here and the lay out is almost the same as the Titantalk forums so I'm no stranger. Until then :)

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Simply put, I have a 2013 Honda Fit that does the job well but its too twitchy for long road trips and I need a car with longer legs and is alot more comfortable.
Welcome! I've owned a few small cars and below 2800lbs they get blown around allot more on the highway. The cruze weight makes it drive and ride like a much larger car, in fact its one of the best highway cars I've owned.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
My only suggestions are an after-market cold air intake and definitely highest rated octane you can buy. Those 2 items gave me the best mpg gains vs. cost, and the mpg gains on high octane fuel overcame the 20 cents/gallon price difference. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Cruze ... cuz I miss mine !

But could you possibly enlighten others as well as myself as to the problems you fear will trickle down on the diesel versions? Because I am contemplating a 2016 Cruze Diesel when they become available for ordering "my way" OR a '16 Eco 6MT.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hey guys,

Simply put, I have a 2013 Honda Fit that does the job well but its too twitchy for long road trips and I need a car with longer legs and is alot more comfortable. I was looking in the TDI's and new Diesels, but being in the trucking industry, I feel the issues with DPF's and DEF will just trickle down to the cars that are using these new emissions systems. So I went ahead and did some research and didn't want to spend more than $14k and the Cruze Eco came out on top. I test drove a certified pre owned 2012 Cruze Eco MT and really liked it and did some numbers, got a pre approval from my credit union and had the dealership print out a PO and now I'm just waiting for the check to clear. Lots of knowledgeable info here and the lay out is almost the same as the Titantalk forums so I'm no stranger. Until then :)
Must admire one that does his homework before buying!! Just because others say something is good one must find out if it's good for you also. Nice choice!!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Import guys? Use to be treated like trash or at least anyone else. Now that the USA went global, these guys are treated like kings.

Just another observation how things in this country changed over the last 40 or so years. At first they were considered as traitors. More recently, had to get down on your knees and kiss their butts to get the best price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only suggestions are an after-market cold air intake and definitely highest rated octane you can buy. Those 2 items gave me the best mpg gains vs. cost, and the mpg gains on high octane fuel overcame the 20 cents/gallon price difference. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Cruze ... cuz I miss mine !

But could you possibly enlighten others as well as myself as to the problems you fear will trickle down on the diesel versions? Because I am contemplating a 2016 Cruze Diesel when they become available for ordering "my way" OR a '16 Eco 6MT.
Simply put..."more moving parts." Emission systems for diesels are still fairly new and are prone to failure. I can buy a $300,000 Freightliner Cascadia with 0 miles and then it will be in the shop with a DEF pump issue at 10,000 miles, its a known issue industry wide. Anything post 2009 TDI is considered the most reliable and most simple diesels to own and maintain (especially for a german car...ESPECIALLY for a VW).

I would explain more but I'm getting ready for work and will give you a better explanation lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a small, twitchy, tall hatchback (Pontiac Vibe) that's similar to the OPs Fit, great city car but tiresome to scary on the highway. I bought my 2014 CTD for long trips and its the best distance car for the money that I've owned. It cruises effortlessly at 80 mph with the comfort of a larger car. Its so economical on long trips that my work mileage reimbursement (57 cents/mile) covers my fuel, insurance, and car payment. Disappointing city economy and 1 emission repair are my only complaints.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Welcome. I have a 2012 ECO MT and it's an absolute rock on the highway. I've driven it across the great plains four times now (twice in each direction) and it doesn't bounce around at speed. I did have to stop for lunch and sit away from the steering wheel after dealing with 50 MPH cross winds for hours though. Constantly steering into the wind does get tiring but gusts don't move it around much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, sorry for such a late reply. Finally got to pick up the Cruze this morning and even then, I went straight to work. Dealership was in Long Beach Ca and my job is out in San Bernardino.....a good 70 mile stretch that has good demographics to test the mpg ability of this car. I'm VERY impressed how effortless....ly? this thing gets over 40 mpg! I literally just set the cruise at 70 and even sometimes 75 and it still got over 40+ mpg! My Honda Fit to achieve 40 mpg I had to go 65.....and be easy with the throttle....pretty much hypermile....ing? lol Sorry the pic is dark, I'm shy when taking pics but was able to get a shot when no one was around. But I love the look of the car and I feel it has ALOT more to offer at such a low price compared to its competition. Ignore the avg 58 mph...I was sitting in the car when I got to work trying to figure out how to pair my phone (The list was full). 44 mpg without even trying? I don't know If I want to get the tune anymore lo
l Car Vehicle Auto part Odometer
Motor vehicle Vehicle Transport Car Mode of transport

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome. I have a 2012 ECO MT and it's an absolute rock on the highway. I've driven it across the great plains four times now (twice in each direction) and it doesn't bounce around at speed. I did have to stop for lunch and sit away from the steering wheel after dealing with 50 MPH cross winds for hours though. Constantly steering into the wind does get tiring but gusts don't move it around much.
The only time I experienced a dust storm was on my motorcycle just getting outside of Blythe, Ca. Our bikes were at 10-15* to the right just to go straight. Lets just say we pulled over after to shake the dust off.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Import guys? Use to be treated like trash or at least anyone else. Now that the USA went global, these guys are treated like kings.

Just another observation how things in this country changed over the last 40 or so years. At first they were considered as traitors. More recently, had to get down on your knees and kiss their butts to get the best price.
Import fan boys make me angry. Glad this guy came to our domestic side :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.