Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this drill pump at Home Depot for $10.98, and it even came with the hoses for sucking that old oil out via the dipstick tube.

Auto part

I hooked it up to my electric drill and had my oil removed in a matter of a couple minutes. The directions specifically say it can be used for water and oil, just make sure your oil is warm from driving first.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I use something like this to get our most of oil out of my boat engine, drain plug is so close to the hull, can't even get a drain pan under there. But follow through by forming a pan out of aluminum foil to get the rest of it out. About 3/4 of a quart and this is where the really black dirty stuff pours out. Don't want this crap left in my engine.

I don't seem to have a problem drain out all the oil from my Cruze using a drain pan. Not looking for an easy method, looking for a GOOD method.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Although the vacuum pump from the dipstick hole is tempting from the the cleanliness standpoint, as Nick noted, you can't get a full drainout and the heavy stuff that falls out of suspension remains.

The oil pickup is about a eigth inch off the pan floor so you really want to avoid any potental buildup near it.
If it was to pick it up, it promptly heads to the oil filter and starts to restrict it.
Over time, depending on what it is vacuuming into the filter, if it gets too restricted it lifts off a by pass seat and then sends unfiltered oil throughout the engine.

Bad ju ju.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
you can't get a full drainout and the heavy stuff that falls out of suspension remains.

Rob
That's reason I would personally never use the pump-out method. Unless it's the middle of winter, I don't think it's a big deal draining from the plug. My oil drain pan is shallow enough to slide underneath without having to jack it up so there isn't even a time savings for me.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, since the last time I posted already changed my oil and filter. Had 17% oil life remaining, was just getting a dark tan color, but planning on a long trip, so this is done and over with.

Know there is a Delco filter in there plus Mobile One with the green dexos label on it and logged all the data. Oil filter cap and drain plug properly torqued and not a drop of oil spilled anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will most likely still get a conventional oil change when it needs to be done in the middle of winter during inclement weather. Not interested in standing outside with 20 below wind chills to save a few bucks.

I am confident that changing my oil every 5000 miles with full synthetic should keep any sludge to a bare minimum, especially when I am averaging an oil change about every 6 weeks. Severe duty. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I tried this method many years ago (late '80s) with a drill powered pump from Sears that was something like $10. The pump broke internally on the second use and I went out and spent $20 on a pair of steel ramps. I still use the ramps to change oil and they will likely outlast me. I also agree that draining oil from the drain plug is the best practice. Hint: you don't see any professionals using the pump via the dipstick tube method.

·
10,711 Posts
Ha, since the last time I posted already changed my oil and filter. Had 17% oil life remaining, was just getting a dark tan color, but planning on a long trip, so this is done and over with.

Know there is a Delco filter in there plus Mobile One with the green dexos label on it and logged all the data. Oil filter cap and drain plug properly torqued and not a drop of oil spilled anywhere.
Mobil 1 regular flavor or extended and is this 17% on a 2012?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Changed my Cruze oil and filter yesterday, was less than a twenty minute job with a coffee break in the middle doing it the right way.

Got me to thinking about my old 72 Ford motorhome. To change the filter in that thing had to drop the PS pump first that required removing the V-belt first. Had a engine cover in the cabin, no way to reach it from that side, only access was from a small hood in the front reaching way down between the engine and the radiator. Then had to use a lever to get the correct belt tension, like a three hour job.

Ha, after reading this post, really not looking for an easier way to change the oil on the Cruze. Did clean the inside of the oil filter housing, didn't spill a drop of oil, and used torque wrenches. Couldn't ask for an easier car to change oil on. But did get some oil on my fingers from removing the drain plug.

88 Supra is not so easy, drain plug is simple, but they are using a spin on oil filter jammed under the exhaust and turbo. And the only way to get it out is to turn it upsidedown when its full of oil. Cleaning up the mess is time consuming, and does have an under engine cover like the Cruze, that has to be cleaned up also.

Got me to thinking if any car should have an under engine recall, its this Supra and certainly not the Cruze. No oil changing place would clean up that mess, idiots can't even properly tighten the oil filter properly. Had to buy an extra oil filter wrench and cut most of the handle off of it just to get up there. But have the satisfaction the job is done right followed by a long shower for me.

Pumping out the engine oil from the dipstick would not solve this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
All this discussion leads me to point out that nowhere in this thread did I mention that a topside oil change is better or faster (even though it may actually be faster ;)).

I only said that this drill pump alternative is cheap (compared to some of the other topside oil change extraction devices out there).

I do think it bears mentioning that this method may be preferable to someone such as a person living in an apartment with limited storage space for ramps and such, someone who does not have a garage, a paved driveway, or off street parking.

Safety wise, I wouldn't want to be under a car on ramps that's parked on a public street and have some yahoo texting on their phone come along and sideswipe my car. Not to mention that trying to get a car up on ramps might end up being a whole bunch of fail in icy, snowy, wintery conditions outside if you are lacking the above mentioned garage, paved driveway, etc.

So yeah, in the above mentioned scenarios, now that I think about it, a topside oil change just might be better! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Back in the late '70s, before I built a garage, I used to change my oil in the street in front of my house. Wasn't much fun, but not so messy the one time I forgot to replace the drain plug in the oil pan. The new oil just ran into the stones. I used to time oil changes around the weather and seasons. Wasn't using synthetics then and changed oil a lot more often. Also didn't have to worry about distracted drivers back then either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts