Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my 2014 LS 1.4L Auto Chevrolet Cruze last year when my brother-in-law pasted away in December.
I had been driving it since August (10k) when he took ill.
It now has 24K and new tires.

My other vehicle is a 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ X (75k) with big tires, high lift, low gears & strong winch.
See signature. I do not try to compare the Cruze in any way.

I am searching forum for some insight to the service code PO0420. Don’t want to have to spend too much for repairs.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Since the car is a 2014 with less than 36k miles no matter what is wrong it is covered under warranty regardless of current ownership.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the car is a 2014 with less than 36k miles no matter what is wrong it is covered under warranty regardless of current ownership.
Rob
Thank you. Making appointment with local Chevrolet dealer, (won't let me do link) Colussy Chevrolet Bridgeville, PA

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Welcome and keep us posted. It's most likely a sensor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear you inherited your cruze under those circumstances. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome! Your dealer is only about 40 minutes from my area. Best of luck with your repairs, I've heard good things about Colussy.

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
PO 0420 is generally related to O2 sensors, but the first question is how does the engine run? Could be a defective spark plug or even water in the gas causing a misfire. But like others said, should be covered under warranty.

Thinking more important to get an extended warranty on our bodies, lots of stuff going around, most of my family members are ill, stomach and other kinds of flu.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PO 0420 is generally related to O2 sensors, but the first question is how does the engine run?
No change to performance or fuel millage.

Thinking more important to get an extended warranty on our bodies, lots of stuff going around, most of my family members are ill, stomach and other kinds of flu.
Keep that up there but, send the winter to PGH already.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
No change to performance or fuel millage.

Keep that up there but, send the winter to PGH already.
Looking to play with the Jeep eh?

I wont be broken hearted if winter stays away this year.......or the next, or the next, and so on.......I rather enjoyed washing the car outside on Christmas day.

Rob

BTW......dealer will likely find a O2 sensor has failed....usually related to the heating element....that's why driveability is unaffected......both are giving information but one is delayed.

Annnnnd, if you like the car, you might want to consider putting a GM (only) extended warranty on it.
You have until the base warranty expires (3/36) so you do have time to shop around for best prices.

Rob (again)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
42 bucks for the upstream, 22 bucks for the downstream.

When they first came out with oxygen sensors, averaged around 30 bucks, but didn't have heaters, didn't last very long, lucky to get around 30K miles. Worthless until they hit around 350*F that shifts the computer from open loop to closed loop mode. EPA got the weird idea of adding Heater to it. Only added a couple of hundred BTU's of heat to it, already being hit about 1,300-1,500*F heat from the engine exhaust, so only cut the delay by a few seconds.

But every little bit helps, right? But adding the heating element, average price of these more than doubled.

This is the connector view, Pins 1 and 2 should show around a couple of ohms of resistance, if much greater, heater element is burnt out.

Catalytic converter is also worthless until it heats up, wanted us to add an electric heater to this as well. We couldn't come up with an alternator large enough to supply the power demands to heat this thing up, so suggested we just spray gas in the cat, but the DOT wouldn't hear about this.

So the EPA went to the oil companies to come up with what they call winter gas. But is also has some very negative side effects. On taking the same long winter trip, using anywhere more from 20-25% more fuel, this has to have some negative effects on the atmosphere, sure is on our pocket books.

What we really need is an EPA with some brains, they can't solve problems, just fine and ship our industries overseas. You would think they would wise up since we are no longer talking about local conditions, but now, finally, global.

Can't argue nor even discuss issues with the EPA.

If you can read that PO 0420 code, can reset it to see if it comes back. Can also be a glitch.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Sorry about how you ended up getting your Cruze , but we are glad you found us. Welcome to the forum !

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Never got along very well with my two ex brother-in-laws, both ex-marines and far better a breaking things then taking care of them. Kept me busy trying to make my ma-in-law happy repairing this stuff. One received a beautiful old piano player from his grandmother that was begging for restoration. He took an ax to it.

Do have a wonderful brother-in-law now, but 4,000 miles away, so rarely get to see him. Do have three great brother-in-laws that married my three sisters, but they are getting old, I elected to quit growing old when I turned 39. But if anything happens to them, shouldn't my sisters get their cars?

Know its a stupid question, but does have me wondering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about how you ended up getting your Cruze , but we are glad you found us. Welcome to the forum !
Thank you, he will be missed.

But if anything happens to them, shouldn't my sisters get their cars? Know its a stupid question, but does have me wondering.
He is my wifes brother and was 65 he never married. As he got older/sicker I did a lot of stuff to ease his suffering. Feel better now?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
P0420

BTW......dealer will likely find a O2 sensor has failed....usually related to the heating element....that's why driveability is unaffected......both are giving information but one is delayed.
Nope.

Rob
Again nope.

They claim that the Oil Filter Cap was not on tight, thus insufficient vacuum, $29.85.
Last time that dummy (me) thinks he is saving money DIY.

Of course I'll need to wait a day or two to see if it reoccurs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts