Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always chaged the oil early in any new vehicle ive owned. This is my first new car, and ive been told to go between 3500- 4000 mile or 40% on the meter. But my parents bought a new Trax last year and our local dealer wouldnt honor the first free change unless it was below 25% or above a certain mileage. Is that true? I dont want to wait until what seems like 7-8k to do the first oil change. Ill do it myself, at 4k if they wont. I plan on switching to amsoil anyways, since most of the dexos 2 GM oil i can find on the web is anywhere from $15- $20 a quart. I can get a comparable Amsoil for around $12 retail, but ive got a friend who will give me a deal on a case.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
I've always run our CTD down to 0%, or ~7500 miles. Changing at 3500-4000 miles is far too early.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I agree with MP81, run it until 0% or 7500 miles then switch to Amsoil, Then depending on the version of Amsoil you can go longer with filter changes in between. I know yours is a diesel, but I run the Amsoil SS and Wix filters at 15K intervals with a filter change and a bit of oil added at 7500 mile intervals. Nice and easy and I use the first trip meter to track.

Reactions: MP81

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
Pretty sure the updated Dexos 2 spec is full-synthetic, as well.

I'd run my free oil changes out before switching, honestly. And then continuously forget to buy oil and have the dealer keep doing them (when they only charge $40 for a dexos2 CTD-specific oil change, it's hard not to have them do it - most dealers it's about double)

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,167 Posts
There is a thought pattern on changing the oil out immediately on a new car. Then about 2000 the next time. I would run out my free ones at about 5000 (assuming 3 free) and then switch to Amsoil.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had my first free change done at 30-something percent around 5k-6k miles. I'd have to dig out the paperwork...

Currently sitting at 10% and 12k miles and scheduled to get the second free oil change tomorrow.

Debating about doing oil changes myself going forward. I have a dealer-supplied lifetime powertrain warranty that says work must be done by an ASE mechanic, which I'm not, so...

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
There is a thought pattern on changing the oil out immediately on a new car. Then about 2000 the next time. I would run out my free ones at about 5000 (assuming 3 free) and then switch to Amsoil.
So this gets back to the original question...will the dealership do a free oil change per customer request REGARDLESS of mileage or will the customer be required to wait until a certain "Percentage" of oil life remaining?

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you want the oil change and they won't do it early check another dlr or call customer service. Typically they will honor it early.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would not use amsoil in the diesel cruze. AFAIK, it doesn't meet the spec. Amsoil will state things like "use where dexos2 is required" or "engineered for use in cars where dexos2 is required". They don't say "meets dexos2 spec". Feel free to correct me if I am wrong and please don't "shoot the messenger"! :)

For oil choice - I am looking at pennzoil platinum - it is a synthetic derived from natural gas. I have seen reports that it is sold at walmart at decent price.

I am also going to do first oil change at about 5k miles. I will just pay for it out of pocket if they have issue with it.

jeff

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
I would not use amsoil in the diesel cruze. AFAIK, it doesn't meet the spec. Amsoil will state things like "use where dexos2 is required" or "engineered for use in cars where dexos2 is required". They don't say "meets dexos2 spec". Feel free to correct me if I am wrong and please don't "shoot the messenger"! :)

For oil choice - I am looking at pennzoil platinum - it is a synthetic derived from natural gas. I have seen reports that it is sold at walmart at decent price.

I am also going to do first oil change at about 5k miles. I will just pay for it out of pocket if they have issue with it.

jeff
You're absolutely right, it doesn't meet the spec: it exceeds it.

Dexos 1/2 are just blood sucking oil taxes that occasionally place idiotic limitations on oil additive levels for regulatory emissions reasons. Note, I am not referring to emissions equipment compatibility here, I'm referring to some moron legislator in California who knows nothing about oil formulation saying "you can't have more than X of this additive in the oil because it will kill all the birds." Most of the time, we are talking entirely insignificant differences where such regulations occur.

As a result, for this platform and others, I just bypass the oil taxes and look at the more respected industry specifications. I'll break this down for everyone.

There are generally two types of european oils: full SAPS and mid/low SAPS. The full-SAPS formulas are for older European vehicles or those without sensitive emissions control equipment. The mid/low SAPS oils are those with strict emissions control equipment. Almost all European formula oils fall under one of those categories.

Full-SAPS Formulas
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
BMW LL-01
MB 229.5
VW 502.00, 505.00
Porsche A40

Mid/Low-SAPS Formulas
ACEA C3
BMW LL-04
MB 229.51
VW 504.00, 507.00
Porsche C30

As it pertains to European formula oils, these are all basically the same. Across the board, an oil that meets MB 229.51 will also meet the BMW, VW, and Porsche specifications for mid/low-SAPS formulas. Across the board, an oil that meets MB 229.5 will also meet BMW, VW, and Porsche specifications for Full-SAPS formulas.

There are very few exceptions to those statements. MB has a pretty good approval process for this kind of thing, and they literally don't let you list their spec on your product label or webpage unless your oil gets sent to them for testing and approval, so they're usually a great reference point. Same for VW.

If I am looking for a full-SAPS oil, ANY full synthetic oil that meets MB 229.5 will provide me excellent results.
If I am looking for a full-SAPS oil, ANY full synthetic oil that meets MB 229.51 will provide me excellent results.

AMSOIL is not the only company that refuses to pay the oil tax for having a label on their bottle. Motul also comes to mind, and also makes fantastic lubricants. There is nothing about the dexos2 specification that presents higher performance requirements than do the BMW, MB, Porsche, and VW approvals.

Furthermore, it is worth noting that these are minimum performance requirements. It means that the oil must be "at least this good," because companies out there like Shell, Valvoline, and Mobil 1 are obsessed with keeping price as low as possible, and these specifications ensure that the oil performs to at least a certain quality specification. Companies like AMSOIL and Motul don't play these games. They try to produce the best oil that money can buy for a given application and service interval, and are generally known for going well beyond the requirements of OEM specifications.

They are able to do this, and keep costs low, because they don't pay royalties and exorbitant certification fees to stick a "dexos2" label on their bottle. Don't forget, the dexos2 specification could be certified with a semi-synthetic group 2/3 blended product. To suggest that a full synthetic group 4 PAO, or even a group 3, would not perform much better would be absurd. If anything, dexos2 is has a lower performance requirement than the European specs listed above.

My advice, in closing, is this: use the best oil you can get your hands on. The manufacturer is not the least bit concerned with your vehicle's reliability once the warranty expires, but you most likely are.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

jeff
what does the owners manual say?

the gen1 diesel says dexos2 OR acea c3 oil...ive only used the acea c3 oil, which along the way has become dexos2 compliant

does the gen2 manual allow an alternative?

·
Registered
302 Posts
For the free oil change question, my dealer told me that I could have the oil changes done whenever I wanted. They said if I wanted them to, they could put the car on the hoist and do 4 oil changes on the spot to use the free oil changes. Obviously didn't get them to do that lol....but puts in perspective how flexible they were with when they could be done.

·
Registered
212 Posts

the gen1 diesel says dexos2 OR acea c3 oil...ive only used the acea c3 oil, which along the way has become dexos2 compliant

The manual only lists dexos2.

The original post stated that he could get amsoil for $12 per quart. The amsoil does not state that it meets the dexos2 specification. And contrary to the previous post, it is not possible for the amsoil to exceed the dexos2 spec if it doesn't meet it...

Pennzoil Platinum Plus Euro L is a full synthetic oil refined from natural gas that does state that it meets the dexos2 specification.

Amazon has 6 pack of Pennzoil Euro L for $8.32 quart net. I have amazon prime for free shipping - which is available for this product.

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550042833-6PK-Platinum-Synthetic-Lubricant/dp/B00ZEK6Z64

Walmart appears to have Pennzoil dexos2 oil on the shelf for ~$10.

To me - the Pennzoil is a *very* good synthetic oil and is "top tier" - even if it did cost more - I would still use it over the other alternatives. I will change at 5-6k mile intervals and my turbo will live a long and happy life...

Jeff

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My problem is no one around me has any dexos 2 oil anywhere. I know Walmart has it at other locations but not the one in my hometown. I can get Amsoil from two different places, one in town and from a friend who will cut me a deal. Amsoil does say that their oil is good for use in vehicles where dexos2 is specificed. I agree that the reason they dont have it listed on GMs website is they refuse to pay the extra money to do so.
Guess im going to run the 2 free oil changes out close to the end then change it at my own interval after the fact.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
My problem is no one around me has any dexos 2 oil anywhere. I know Walmart has it at other locations but not the one in my hometown. I can get Amsoil from two different places, one in town and from a friend who will cut me a deal. Amsoil does say that their oil is good for use in vehicles where dexos2 is specificed. I agree that the reason they dont have it listed on GMs website is they refuse to pay the extra money to do so.
Guess im going to run the 2 free oil changes out close to the end then change it at my own interval after the fact.
https://www.amazon.com/Total-184953...qid=1501800950&sr=8-1&keywords=total+ineo+mc3

its dexos2 and a common oil used for these cars

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts

That not what my owners manual says, just googled and looked online. It says as follows, use dexos 2, when dexos 2 isn't available, you may substitute acea c3. If you google 2014 or 2015 Chevrolet Cruze owners manual, it's on page 272 of 417.

I don't question that amsoil is good oil, but I personally prefer a company that has dexos 2 on the bottle. I hear plenty of stories on here and elsewhere where a dealer could give me grief for not using dexos 2. I keep receipts and use the correct stuff. Its a personal choice. Not worth debating this issue, everyone may use whatever they see best for their car.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
That not what my owners manual says, just googled and looked online. It says as follows, use dexos 2, when dexos 2 isn't available, you may substitute acea c3. If you google 2014 or 2015 Chevrolet Cruze owners manual, it's on page 272 of 417.

I don't question that amsoil is good oil, but I personally prefer a company that has dexos 2 on the bottle. I hear plenty of stories on here and elsewhere where a dealer could give me grief for not using dexos 2. I keep receipts and use the correct stuff. Its a personal choice. Not worth debating this issue, everyone may use whatever they see best for their car.
if i dont have dexos2, then its not available.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.