Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question? We're resetting the DIC at every fillup logging all DIC information each time. Our concern about this is that the ECM and TCM adaptive technology may be adversely affected by frequent resets. Maybe we should go several thousand miles or more between resets? Odometer today shows 2800 miles. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...DIC displays are informational "outputs" from the computers.

...the computers only "change" in response to changes coming in from the many sensors throughout the vehicle.

...resetting the DIC is like pressing CTL-ALT-DEL on your PC computer, the screen clears, but the Microsoft operating system is STILL there making mistakes in the background just as it did before, but now you get to start over again with "new" mistakes (sarcastic joke humor intentional).

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
resetting the DIC is like pressing CTL-ALT-DEL on your PC computer, the screen clears, but the Microsoft operating system is STILL there making mistakes in the background just as it did before, but now you get to start over again with "new" mistakes (sarcastic joke humor intentional).
Does the DIC ever BSOD?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Does the DIC ever BSOD?
...well, the DIC display is already BLUE for NA cars (ha,ha)...is that by chance or what?

P.S. -- BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death, a Microsoft operating system "feature"

·
Registered
27 Posts
...DIC displays are informational "outputs" from the computers.

...the computers only "change" in response to changes coming in from the many sensors throughout the vehicle.

...resetting the DIC is like pressing CTL-ALT-DEL on your PC computer, the screen clears, but the Microsoft operating system is STILL there making mistakes in the background just as it did before, but now you get to start over again with "new" mistakes (sarcastic joke humor intentional).
I chuckled :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
'Cuda, thanks for responding about the DIC Resets. The Service guy at my Dealership suggested I not reset the DIC frequently b/c ECM and TCM issues. Huh? Sort of scratched my head over that one so i posted. Besides, not resetting DIC messes up my log.

Is the wife's Cruze back together yet? Those SW hills can be tough on Cruze's, eh?

Glad someone got some laughs out of this thread ... BSOD :) :)

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
Literally laughed out loud.

I just went and looked all over my Cruze. It does not have a ctrl, alt, or delete. Should I be worried?
You obviously have an iCruze which is a mac product, try command-option-shift-escape

@erie, it is NOT affected at all by how many times your reset it. As stated above, once your reset it, it starts at scratch collecting data.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I just went and looked all over my Cruze. It does not have a ctrl, alt, or delete. Should I be worried?
Just be sure you are Service Pack 1 or later and have auto update turned on. :D

Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Literally laughed out loud.

You obviously have an iCruze which is a mac product, try command-option-shift-escape

@erie, it is NOT affected at all by how many times your reset it. As stated above, once your reset it, it starts at scratch collecting data.
Booked the car in at the dealership to have it checked out. Apparently they want me to pack it up in a box and I will lose it for 6-8 weeks. Should have bought an iCruze... they never break :(

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
You obviously have an iCruze which is a mac product, try command-option-shift-escape.
...just don't hold your head too close to either the ECM, BCM or TCM or communication linkage will be lost and your hair will fall out (wink,wink).

·
Registered
235 Posts
'Cuda, thanks for responding about the DIC Resets. The Service guy at my Dealership suggested I not reset the DIC frequently b/c ECM and TCM issues. Huh?
Yeah, I think that service guy was a little off.

Resetting the displays is just the digital equivalent of the resetting the trip odometer on older cars. It sets what the display shows you to 0, but it doesn't change anything else. The iPhone app and the OnStar emails pretty much verify this.

The only DIC display you don't wanna reset all the time is the Oil Life Indicator. Only reset that when you change your oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts