Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thoroughly disappointed in the feel of some gear changes, throttle response, and believe the clutch is hurting from the mounts. I bought the TTR upper engine mount and knew I had to replace trans mount. If you look at your front trans mount, look at how much space is there. That mount has a load of movement and you can easily manipulate it any way you want. The rear looks like a typical stock rubber mount.

So, I have talked to Aaron from TTR to see if they were possibly in the works for making the mounts. They weren't, and we talked about it more. Right now, I have given him measurements and will be sending the mounts to him to make the poly inserts. This is where we need to see how many people would be interested in a group buy. I would be the guinea pig and test with those mounts alone, and with TTR upper engine mount also, and provide feedback on how vehicle responds.

Price for the set (front and rear) will be $59.99 with 10 people needed for the price. If you are interested, please post up. *****NOTICE! This is for manual transmission. I believe front mount is the same for auto and manual, but rear mount bushing might be different size. We would need an auto rear mount, or at least measurements, to verify compatibility.

People In:

1: Ian_12
2: Skilz10179
3: limited360
4: dthomp2366
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I was asking Aaron about mount inserts a year ago but he didn't seem interested at all. Assuming these are under $50 like most inserts are you can count me in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Should be near same/same as what he charges for other inserts, but that is what I figure. I will contact him again and see if he can generalize a price. I am just about ready to send the mounts to him as I had my fun past day testing out the upper engine mount.

EDIT: He said $59.99 for the set (front and rear inserts), but would need 10 people to buy in for the price. So going to need more people to make it happen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a question. Do either of you have an automatic? Need to verify bushing size of rear mount to see if they are the same. I know they have different part numbers, but unsure if the metal body is different but bushing is the same.

Okay, well I just noticed limited doesn't as I posted that. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey everyone. I saw this and I think the same thing. I know this may sound cheap, but, it's very effective. I used this on some mounts for my old race car. It gives the proper amount of firmness when added to a stock mount. It restores and improves old tired mounts.
3M
You support the engine and remove one mount at a time. Fill in the mount completely and use a piece of cardboard or disposable putty knife to pack it in and smooth it out. You must work quickly, and DON"T GET ANY ON ANYTHING YOU LIKE, because it don't come out. Voila, instant urethane motor mounts. And it works.....
I will be doing this shortly, because I agree about the lag time......

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I most definitely would be interested but havent learned how to copy and paste from my Droid yet.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone. I saw this and I think the same thing. I know this may sound cheap, but, it's very effective. I used this on some mounts for my old race car. It gives the proper amount of firmness when added to a stock mount. It restores and improves old tired mounts.
3M
You support the engine and remove one mount at a time. Fill in the mount completely and use a piece of cardboard or disposable putty knife to pack it in and smooth it out. You must work quickly, and DON"T GET ANY ON ANYTHING YOU LIKE, because it don't come out. Voila, instant urethane motor mounts. And it works.....
I will be doing this shortly, because I agree about the lag time......

Window weld isn't as effective as custom made mounts, and tend not to last as long. Window weld is quite soft too, though more rigid then stock rubber. There are other ways to properly make poly mounts, but to do two mounts, it is nearly same cost as buying inserts like this. Plus you have to cut away as much rubber as possible (but leave enough to hold the center insert) or build a rig to keep it centered, then have to wait several days for it to dry.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Subscribed for more info. Sell me to it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I can't sell much more then what is typically known of what poly mounts do. You will get better throttle response, more power will be sent to wheels, and shifts will feel much better.

I can't say what exactly these trans mounts would do for anyone on this specific vehicle until I get them. All I can say is, the front mount is extremely compliant (more then any stock mount I have seen). I would not even consider this okay for a stock vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Can't wait for your review. Price is good if they can deliver what you just said without bad side effects. I wasn't too pleased with the rattle the engine mounts produced from boats video so I passed on those.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well they would produce vibrations, but that could be negated two ways. One, install just one mount which would help a few areas and retain most smoothness. Second, the mounts could be made of a lower durometer polyurethane (this is not in my hands, but I may be able to say something).

I am currently running an upper engine mount from TTR and I can see why several people don't like it. It doesn't bother me, and makes me laugh quite often. But if these mounts can go through, then I would test with stock upper mount to see how it responds and TTR mount. I may even test single trans mount as some might not want to remove rear mount.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be down. The only thing that scares me are the vibrations seen from the TTR motor mount. If the effects are similar, it would be a major let down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I do not know what the durometer would be. I have been a bit busy, so haven't messaged him. I will check to see if he has a set durometer or if I could specify to try and blend stiffness and some compliance for smoothness. Again, these mounts should provide less vibrations overall when keeping stock upper engine mount, but I can't be for sure until I test them. I have yet to send out my mounts as my daily driver has had some issues.

So I will get on this as soon as I can. Since many are asking about vibrations, I will check to see if I can have him make the ones for me to test before getting 10 people to buy in.

Edit:He will need the 10 people to buy in to commit to making the mold. If you haven't looked at your mounts before, let me show you what they are like.

FRONT

REAR

Notice how much space there is in the front mount. These gaps and little amount of rubber strung to middle put a lot of compliance in the system (plus the fact its rubber). The rear mount looks like your normal stock rubber mount, so it could be upgraded but I don't see it as the major source. SO, if you replace just the front mount, you should be able to get car to shift far better but retain smoothness. Replacing both mounts, you will get vibrations, but should not be near the amount of the upper mount. Remember, the upper mount is directly mounted to the frame sending vibrations directly to cabin. The trans mounts are on the sub frame which the sub frame mounts to the body through rubber/aluminum bushings. This would reduce the amount of vibrations felt. Plus imagine the TTR upper mount against what these trans mounts would be. The TTR upper mount has a square bushing that is fairly thin, so the durometer is high. The trans mounts would be stock round size and should be a lower durometer.

You have your options. If you are tired of the sloppiness in your drivetrain, then jump in so we can get this rolling!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts