Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Front break Squeak?

310 17
i followed the front brake change a few months ago but been having squeakage when the breaks are cold but goes away after using them(warmed up). lately its been getting really load after car sits. so im not sure what do here as ive tried break quiet spray. the only thing i didnt do is put lube on but i dont know if thatll help. im almost wanting to change that pads to something else but im not sure anymore. btw i did go for the same brakes/rotors that the thread was showing
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,231 Posts
It could be a few issues. But since the noise goes away and you have just replaced them, I'm leaning towards the choice of parts. If you used metallic pads, or uncoated rotors that might be the cause. Exactly what part numbers did you use?

Also, FYI, a brake job done properly with quality pads needs zero lube to be silent.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they were a dual kit from rockauto:
CENTRIC 10515220 [Brake Pad] Posi-Quiet; Ceramic; Includes Hardware

CENTRIC 12062130 [Rotor] Semi-Coated

· Registered
1,231 Posts
With those parts there shouldn't be any noise.

In my experience the #1 item over looked on a brake job is making sure the caliper pin is free to move. Beyond that, I'd look for something that isn't seated flat.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill have to look at it monday or something dont have garage access. then yeah ill look at those plus maybe rotors? idk im just guessing

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
curious on one more thing cause ive seen this on videos but when i bought this stuff i was told to get brake cleaner cause of the oil as what i thought to do was clean both rotor and bads but what ive heard afterwards is not to use it on the pads themselves?

· Registered
1,231 Posts
All new rotors are coated with oil to prevent rust during shipping. This oil can interfere with brake pad bedding and only allow dangerously low friction levels. Yes, most people will use brake cleaner to remove this oil, but so will a dozen other things. Like soapy water.

Using brake cleaner on the pads is not recommended, but "shouldn't" damage them either.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Hood Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

Can't get the rotor off atleast not without messing it up but atleast I uploaded pictures. It did snow yesterday just fyi

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No cause even when it's dry they squeak till warmed up. I installed everything back in October it was still somewhat warm

· Registered
Vauxhall Meriva B 1.4t 120bhp model
80 Posts
As has already been mentioned are your slider pins sliding freely and coated with ceramic grease? Brake piston definitely moving freely?
How tight are the pads in the anti rattle shims should be a nice sliding fit sometimes have to take a file to the lugs. We put a small amount of ceramic grease on these also. Mother in laws Mazda was giving a squeak and the bottom sliders each side were seized in.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I just put grease/lube on sliders, shims, and the backs of the pads. I did check the sliders they did move alright.

Reactions: Baldrico1

· Registered
1,231 Posts
OK, I think I see your issue on picture #2. The left pad is burning in that one section because it is probably not releasing after the brakes are used.

Make double sure there is space in the hardware shims so the pad can move. If there is rust between the caliper and hardware it can pinch the pad inplace. Rust takes up more space than the metal it came from.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They should be able to move now with the lube in the shims as they did have some spots where the pads sit but if this doesn't get it working I'll have to have to get them figured out. I usually know what I'm doing until I get stuck like I am now

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Well. I'm very confident that one pad tab isn't moving like it should inside the hardware. You need to remove that hardware, and scrub the seating area of the caliper with a wire brush.

Lubing the hardware will NOT last, you might go one day without noise then you're back were you started.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think you might be on to something with that as it bracket was a bit messy but i did what i could till i saw some shine and also i did notice the slider with the boot on it wasnt really moving freely but i think i got it now just fine. I'd be 'almost' willing to just get newer caliper brackets but idk on that part.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Gesture Finger Plant Gas Terrestrial plant

I forgot to get an after picture but yeah I cleaned where the hardware sits and lubed where it's sits as well. Drove around no squeak so far as mostly it was just backing up out of the driveway.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
i think you might be on to something
:ROFLMAO: I'm glad to have decades of brake job experience that actually gets listened to.

I have seen literally a hundred times were some newbie thinks caking lube on everything is the answer. The truth is lube gets people out of the door, but not much further.

The caliper pins need to be lubed. And you can put a thin layer between the hardware and the caliper to help prevent rust. Put it anywhere else is a bad idea.

Anyway, going by your picture you should be OK. Taking some sand paper to it, or a sand blaster might not be a bad idea. You could also paint them if you really want to stop the rust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts