Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I can't figure this one out. Went to check my oil the other week at work and it was barely on the stick. Now I drive about 500 miles a week so I try to check it every few days, especially since I just got it a couple weeks before that. Pulled it the shop a concluded the front main had gone out ,sprayed it down with break clean and ran it. No leak, revved it up a while, still no leak. Figured must not be that bad, drove home , checked it and it was covered in oil. Ok parked it for the time being , planned on getting a seal the next morning. That night I did some research to see if I needed any special tools, and came across this forum and the PVC problems. Figured my oil leak was because of the intake check valve going out. So I ordered Xtreams​ version 2 fix kit. Took the intake off that weekend while waiting on the package and went ahead and replaced the front main while I had time (and before it started to rain for 40 days and nights lol). Monday my kit came and I installed it on the intake at work. The following Sunday it stopped raining long enough while I was home to put it back together. Took it for a test drive and front main is still leaking. Thought well the seal a put in slide right in without having to beat it with a socket so maybe it was a bad one from the factory. Went Monday evening and got another front seal . Put that one on with some copper silicone around the outside because that just slipped in, and greased the rubber really good. I had checked the corrugated hose and it was ok but I ordered a new one just in case. Put that on this evening and took another test drive......Still front main leak!! And yes I've checked it good. Took off inner fender and after only driving a mile down the road it was only oil around the harmonic balancer and no where else.

I read the entire 17 page PVC thread and still not sure if I'm missing something. I'm guessing I am getting too much crank case pressure under boost causing the oil to push out. I have a valve cover ordered and should be here Friday. Not sure what else it could be.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
From my experience being on the forum for several years your on the right track.

I'm not sure that the new valve cover will help anything. If that rupture disk in the valve cover isn't allowing air in the engine then I think that's good. I could be wrong. Your sure that the crankshaft isn't nicking the seal when it's installed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm thinking it's not the valve cover either but I'm getting down to " it can't be anything else" ... The only way the main seal can get cut is by the harmonic balancer itself. That's what goes through the seal , and I'm not buying it cut the oem , the first seal and the last one I put on. It just slips in way too easy.

Oh and I should mention that the intake check valve was still in the intake when I did the "fix" , it may of not been sealing 100% but it was still intact until I pooped it out and sealed it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the valve cover didn't help anything. Got crank seal #3 and will be installing it as soon as it cools down. I must say this one is pissing me off. ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
What seal are you using? I put the National 224200 and it went in perfectly, didn't need sealant or anything around the outside. Mine was leaking but just making things sludgy, no ground drips before. Seems to be sealed now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have been using the 224200. Goes in smooth don't see anything wrong with it at all. Can only get it to Leak when I drive it down the road, I guess when it builds boost, and it pours out! Like I can't drive it because it's leaking so bad. Thought it was crank case pressure that was pushing the oil out, so yesterday evening I popped the dipstick out and just tied a shop towel around it to catch any oil and drove it down the road. Still pouring oil out. Now I'm thinking it might be the harmonic balancer. Never seen one all of a sudden cause a seal to leak then immediately make every other one I put in it to leak but I don't know else. If pooping out the dipstick doesn't eliminate any pressure I don't know what else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes I have been using the 224200. Goes in smooth don't see anything wrong with it at all. Can only get it to Leak when I drive it down the road, I guess when it builds boost, and it pours out! Like I can't drive it because it's leaking so bad. Thought it was crank case pressure that was pushing the oil out, so yesterday evening I popped the dipstick out and just tied a shop towel around it to catch any oil and drove it down the road. Still pouring oil out. Now I'm thinking it might be the harmonic balancer. Never seen one all of a sudden cause a seal to leak then immediately make every other one I put in it to leak but I don't know else. If pooping out the dipstick doesn't eliminate any pressure I don't know what else.
Sounds to me like you're getting too much crankcase pressure caused by either a leaky head gasket or worn piston rings. I could easily be wrong (and for your sake I hope I am), but I've seen this problem before on other vehicles. If you eliminate everything else that could be pushing the oil out, including the PCV system, then it's usually a bad head gasket or worn compression rings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds to me like you're getting too much crankcase pressure caused by either a leaky head gasket or worn piston rings. I could easily be wrong (and for your sake I hope I am), but I've seen this problem before on other vehicles. If you eliminate everything else that could be pushing the oil out, including the PCV system, then it's usually a bad head gasket or worn compression rings.
Yeah I'm hoping that isn't the problem either. I don't think it's a head gasket because it's no other symptoms of that at all, but I've seen stranger things. I was going to do a compression test this evening if it doesn't rain ( not looking very promising at the moment) and go from there. I'm about tempted to buy another harmonic balancer to eliminate that (even though I highly doubt that is it) and change the oil just to see how the filter looks , maybe it will shed some light on the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think I'd try to connect a pressure gauge to the dipstick hole and take a drive. That should tell if you if the problem is internal pressure or a bad seal. Check with XtremeRevolution on what the normal pressure should be as I know he's doing a pressure test to check for problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'd try to connect a pressure gauge to the dipstick hole and take a drive. That should tell if you if the problem is internal pressure or a bad seal. Check with XtremeRevolution on what the normal pressure should be as I know he's doing a pressure test to check for problems.
d

I figured by leaving the dipstick out ,driving it down the road and it still leaking it would of eliminated too much crank case pressure but I may be wrong. I started to do a compression test Sunday evening and first 2 cylinders showed 150 and 105 , on my 3rd cylinder my gauge hose blew ( was an old snap-on set that had definitely seen it's better days) so now I'm waiting on a new set to arrive and redo the test to see if my cylinder pressure is really that far off or my pressure gauge was just going out. If it really is 150 and 105 then I guess I'll be looking for another engine ?
Just made the first payment last week and I've had it setting in my driveway with the hood up longer than I've been able to drive it

·
Registered
75 Posts
d

If it really is 150 and 105 then I guess I'll be looking for another engine ?
I would be willing to bet that you've found the problem. It's probably either a bad valve, blown head gasket, or a worn or damaged piston ring. When the piston tries to compress that cylinder, that cylinder won't seal, so the gases leak out past the piston into the crank case, where the overpressure pushes out the oil. That's why you're getting such a low reading on that cylinder with a compression test. I could be wrong, but I've seen that scenario play out more than once.

Just made the first payment last week and I've had it setting in my driveway with the hood up longer than I've been able to drive it
Maximum suckage!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[/QUOTE]
I would be willing to bet that you've found the problem. It's probably either a bad valve, blown head gasket, or a worn or damaged piston ring. When the piston tries to compress that cylinder, that cylinder won't seal, so the gases leak out past the piston into the crank case, where the overpressure pushes out the oil. That's why you're getting such a low reading on that cylinder with a compression test. I could be wrong, but I've seen that scenario play out more than once. [/QUOTE]

New compression test just arrived about to recheck it. But if I get the same results I guess I'll be looking for another engine

Maximum suckage!
Yeah ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Test results are in and I am not the fa...... Wait wrong test.. #1 -165 #2-120 #3-120 #4-150..... Great , welp looks like I'll be shopping for a replacement. So can anyone tell me what I can and can't get ?
Mine is a 2011 automatic.I had read​ that I can put a 2013-16 in a 2011 ,just had to swap the intake, exhaust and sensors, but also saw where someone said that you can't because it's an automatic. Can someone clarify that for me? I've seen more and better prices on eBay for 2013-16 engines than the 2011s
And thanks in advance

·
Registered
75 Posts
New compression test just arrived about to recheck it. But if I get the same results I guess I'll be looking for another engine
Even if the engine fails, I wouldn't throw it out just yet. It may be something as simple as a head gasket or, a little worse, a burned valve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great , welp looks like I'll be shopping for a replacement.
OUCH! Man, I'm so sorry, I know that hurts. Seriously though, you should investigate a little further and see what made it fail. Might just save you a ton of money in the long run. Then again, it may be just added work. You won't know until you find the problem. With 2 cylinders side-by-side like that being low, it could well be a head gasket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great , welp looks like I'll be shopping for a replacement.
OUCH! Man, I'm so sorry, I know that hurts. Seriously though, you should investigate a little further and see what made it fail. Might just save you a ton of money in the long run. Then again, it may be just added work. You won't know until you find the problem. With 2 cylinders side-by-side like that being low, it could well be a head gasket.
Thanks for the condolences ?

Yeah my first thought was just rebuilding it, and I may still , but after reading another thread I was reading that you need a special cam locking tool that is about $200 in addition to everything else. Looks like most people are just swapping out engines instead. It's only a little more $ and probably a little quicker , plus having a bunch of spare parts. I'll be going through my options in the next few days.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll be going through my options in the next few days.
Yanking the engine out and just replacing it would definitely be easier unless it's a head gasket or a burnt valve, although I suspect swapping an engine in a Cruze isn't all that easy. There's no room in that engine bay to work. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck with it. That sux that you're paying for a car you can't use yet.

·
Administrator
15,754 Posts
Thanks for the condolences ?

Yeah my first thought was just rebuilding it, and I may still , but after reading another thread I was reading that you need a special cam locking tool that is about $200 in addition to everything else. Looks like most people are just swapping out engines instead. It's only a little more $ and probably a little quicker , plus having a bunch of spare parts. I'll be going through my options in the next few days.
The tool can be obtained for $65 from Amazon now. The $200+ tool was from Kent Moore. Fortunately, aftermarket options have been made available since that was released. I replaced valve springs a few weeks ago and used that tool, which worked perfectly. I'll be working on a tutorial in the coming weeks on how to use it and how to replace valve springs.

https://amzn.to/2JjwzYj

1 - 20 of 46 Posts