Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Front Emblem Discolored: Best Way to Remedy?

15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dimmuel 
#1 ·
In a 14 Cruze LT RS which has been trouble free, the front Chevy Bowtie is discoloring beneath the yellow plastic. Looks like black mold beneath.

I've searched, and have come up with the following options:

1. Remove the yellow reflector, clean the plastic chrome, and replace the reflector with a billet aluminum replacement. BUT, I can't find a black or chrome billet replacement. Where do they sell these?

2. Remove the whole chrome and yellow reflector bowtie, and replace with a new one. This is a GM part, and can easily be gotten. However, can I get behind the front bumper cover without removing it? I know how to handle the two sided tape part.

3. Or, don't worry be happy and cover with some kind of vinyl applique that you trim to fit.

What say you Cruze experts?

#2 ·
Replace the bowtie with a new one. I had to replace mine a couple of years ago. Cost around $20 or so. You do not have to get behind the bumper cover to remove it. The emblem is held on with double sided tape only. You can take a heat gun and slowly warm it to help it release easier. Then clean with a good wax/silicone remover, or alcohol, and apply new emblem.

#3 ·
If the chrome is fine, just vinyl/plasti-dip the gold portion of the bowtie.

Reactions: CruzzieQ
#4 ·
I recommend body color vinyl. I tried to get mine off cleanly and ended up destroying it and not getting it off. Like Winks said above, if you get it off, they are or can be cheap. I had bought one for $8 and some change. So again, get vinyl and rid the car of that ugly amber.

Black sheets

Black precut

etc

Or go to Lowes where they always seem to be closing out Plastidip as MP81 suggests

#5 ·
Folks, thanks very much for your prompt and excellent responses. I'll start with the vinyl overlays -- always wanted to see how I like them anyway. Then, if necessary I'll progress to plasti-dip, and if ever I need to, I can change out the whole emblem. Much appreciated.

#6 ·
In a 14 Cruze LT RS which has been trouble free, the front Chevy Bowtie is discoloring beneath the yellow plastic. Looks like black mold beneath.

1. Remove the yellow reflector, clean the plastic chrome, and replace the reflector with a billet aluminum replacement. BUT, I can't find a black or chrome billet replacement. Where do they sell these?

2. Remove the whole chrome and yellow reflector bowtie, and replace with a new one. This is a GM part, and can easily be gotten. However, can I get behind the front bumper cover without removing it? I know how to handle the two sided tape part.

3. Or, don't worry be happy and cover with some kind of vinyl applique that you trim to fit.

I bought bulk dark grey carbon fiber vinyl applique and put it on myself in about 15 min with a razorblade knife and a heat gun. I did the front and the rear. So far it looks much better than the gold/yellow on my silver ECO. We will see how it holds up to a Wyoming winter.

#7 ·

Covered mine with black vinyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.