Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - i've been having front end clunking ever since I changed out my front struts & sway bar links to the metal ones. Only really noticeable at low speeds 15-20mph and below. I'd say it is pretty temperature sensitive, 30 degrees knocks like crazy 31 degrees won't hear it all day 32 degrees every little bump knocks. Really embarrassing pulling into work with my souped up Cruze only to hear this god awful clunking noise in the front! Lmao

I've been through 2 different brands of quick struts, the first pair were suspect because the top mount kept spinning when tightening the top plate on.
The pair I have on now - the nut tightened down a lot better, still turns if I turn it with oh i'd say medium force. Can you say headache? :RantExplode:

Now I used the MOOG metal links as a replacement, thought these were the initial issue, went to the dealership and bought a pair of OEM plastic ones and put them on. Still same clunking noise. :RantExplode::RantExplode:

So this was maybe 20k miles ago, and i've been dealing with this front end clunk (mostly passenger side) for 20k miles and it's finally got the best of me. I can't listen to it anymore !!!!!!!!!!
Couple weeks ago I was messing around in the engine compartment and I narrowed down exactly what's happening. I put my hand down on the sway bar on the passenger side, right after it bolts down to the body/frame and it curves up to the end link and gave it a push down. *KNOCK KNOCK* The outside of the sway bar before it connects to the end link I could push down about 2" and hear the same annoying noise i've been hearing for 20k. SO what the heck? I couldn't really get a good look at the link itself on what's happening to the link when I do that, because the noise goes away if I turn the wheel at all, jack it up, exc. Like it's pulling the joint out of the end link or something. But these are new end links??

What in the heck is going on? on 3rd pair of struts, 3rd set of end links, i've always made sure that the nuts were tight / end links were on straight on both ends, i'm at a loss. I got my current struts from ebay (acdelco) with the spring and mount already attached. The only thing is that it was listed for the MANUAL cruze, and I have an automatic. But I do not know if there is a difference in strut design between the auto and manual (The sway bar link points look the same?). If anyone knows, PLEASE let me know! I want to go get another set of the metal links to throw on, but IDK. Could I have been really unlucky with faulty end links? When I changed them out, I only jacked up one side at a time. Could the tension in the sway bar be out of wack or something? Like should I have raised both tires and changed them out like that? IDK

Help the people in Michigan stop hearing my clunking Cruze :(
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,936 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Positive that they are in correctly. Bottom stud facing in toward engine (PITA to screw on/off) And top stud facing outward. Tightened down good, actually went in and tried tightening them even more. They are in there good. :( With the car jacked up I tried pulling back and forth on the end link with a good amount of force and no movement at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seen in his post he mentioned that you have to lift both sides of the car......making me think. I just jacked up one side at a time, but I just used a 2nd jack under the knuckle to raise it up a bit to get them to line up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are not alone, my 2014 2.0L TD has has the same problem after I had the struts replaced. The struts have been changed out twice already and the sway bar links were replaced with MOOG when the struts were first replaced as the steel sway bars links installed were sloppy, the second strut change out the sway bar bushings were replaced with new MOOG bushings. But the sound comes back after a day driving it at any speed going over uneven pavement, pavement separation lines. The only thing let is the control arm bushings but I feel nothing in the floor like you would for when the control arm bushings are worn and the sound seems to come from the top.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You are not alone, my 2014 2.0L TD has has the same problem after I had the struts replaced. The struts have been changed out twice already and the sway bar links were replaced with MOOG when the struts were first replaced as the steel sway bars links installed were sloppy, the second strut change out the sway bar bushings were replaced with new MOOG bushings. But the sound comes back after a day driving it at any speed going over uneven pavement, pavement separation lines. The only thing let is the control arm bushings but I feel nothing in the floor like you would for when the control arm bushings are worn and the sound seems to come from the top.
Were the upper strut mounts replaced with the struts?

Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes they both were replaced with a complete quick strut assembly. So new struts, springs and top bearing mounts twice.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Do any of the quick struts come with the retaining washer that is on top of the strut tower? If not this may be a source of noise. That washer has some rubber or something like it bonded to the bottom side of it.

I looked at a 12 eco with a knocking noise with the assumption of bad end links. After looking further into it, the rubber was worn down on this washer allowing the whole strut to move up and down in the strut tower.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes they both were replaced with a complete quick strut assembly. So new struts, springs and top bearing mounts twice.
I haven't done struts on either of my Cruzes (yet), so I don't have any hands-on with their struts. But, if you still have a problem after you check out mechguy78's ideas, and, having already eliminated the rest of the suspension, then I'd start looking for something loose under the hood or underneath the car (such as the plastic panels there). Grab onto everything under the hood and give it a shake. Look for plastic pieces, such as the fender liners, and make sure they are fastened down correctly. Look for items that could be bouncing against the fender liners, which can act like a drum when something bangs against them. So it only takes a small, loose item to make an audible clunking sound.

If you can't find anything loose under the hood, then I would get underneath and start looking around. I have a very large set of channel locks I use to grab various pieces, such as tie rod ends, and wiggle them around to see if there's play there that could be clunking.

In short, if you're hearing a clunk, there's gotta be something loose somewhere that you should be able to find.

One last thought, have you checked the motor mounts? Could the engine/transmission be moving around some when you hit a bump? (Altho I'd expect you to feel that when you shift into gear.)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
I well give that a try as there is a ton of plastic under the car plus all the added deadener they put in the vehicle being a diesel to quiet the passenger compartment from the engine bay. Yes your right normally when a engine or transmission mount goes you hear it when going into or out of gear so I also had a friend help me with that as that was a thought too. Just you don't hear nothing going into gear and the motor has no excessive movement when going into gear or being put into park. I have literally been watching the gray hairs pop out for the last 4 months since this sound started.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,572 Posts
Any update?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts