Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched around for this and didn't find anything helpful. At highway speeds, I've recently been hearing a rattling or mild thumping noise from the front end. Seems worst when driving into the wind. Looked underneath for loose plastics and any missing rivets and couldn't find anything.

Only thing I found was the air box is somewhat loose after removing that piece suggested here. But that was done nearly a year ago. This noise is consistent and only recently developed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Tom

2014 Cruze LTZ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't notice any noise at lower speeds, only highway. Not sure how I could "get the noise to happen at low speeds"?

·
Registered
37 Posts
how fast do you drive through a mall parking lot?

when you say front end, do you mean suspension, control arms, ball joints front end? or just the whole front end of the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Do you feel it in the steering wheel at all? In my old car, that was a sign that the tie rod end bushings needed to be replaced. But 2014 is way too young for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just about got to be something loose underneath. Only hear it above 60 mph, usually close to 70. But this morning I drove 60 and heard nothing, but later on 60 into the wind and it started rattling again.

I don't feel it in the steering wheel, either. Sounded this morning more in the front drivers side.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd go around the outside and rattle the aerodynamic elements of the car. That air dam under the front bumper, the panels behind that, the wheelwell covers, stuff like that. I'd think anything mechanical would show up at 60 (if not long before that), so I think this is some variation of a "flapping in the wind" thing.

The road test for this theory is to see if it's affected by the traffic around you. Does it change when you "draft" someone or get into their wake.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it does change when behind someone. I did go around it looking for anything loose and was under it last weekend during an oil change. Couldn't see anything obvious. I posted here thinking maybe someone else had seen this or was a common issue.

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Was also going to say, wind noise, have access to a wind tunnel? Something is flapping around, do you have dealer installed mud flaps? They sure can flap around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a issue like you described. My hood when closed had a small amount of play. The rattle or thump would change when the air pressure on the hood changed like going from behind a large truck to beside it or in front. Grab the hood at the front if there is a lip and see if you have any play & adjust. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Proper way to close the hood on these things is to hold it about a foot above the closed position and drop it.

But if you can close it by using the fingers of both hands below that ridge so you don't dent it, its too loose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You sure that it's wind/aero related and not the brake line vibration issue that happens around ~2K rpm? It'd sound like it's coming from the dash if it was that.

Also you could check the rubber strip that that meets the hood edge at the bottom of the windshield is in position correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have chevy Cruze 2014. And I’m having same issue at high speed. I took the car to dealership and they charged me but couldn’t find where the noise is coming from. Did anyone find solutions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts