Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what is causing the noise from my 2014 cruze when traveling at high speed. The other thing that is puzzling is its intermittent, so like today the noise started as soon as I hit 75 for 3 min and stop. All seems normal as for the engine idle, breaking, etc.. any help would be greatly appreciated. The noise is a hollow, Wissler sound from the driver side.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Based on your description this is not a mechanical event......I agree that it likely is wind whistle since you indicate speed and angle of attack, relative to wind direction, can change or eliminate the sound.

Has the sound always been there?......I am assuming you are the original owner.
Has any body work (headlamp housings, front fenders, front doors, front facia, or mirrors) been performed?

Any component misfitting from above can set off a whistle (known as wind ruffle in this industry).

The Cruze body is not (when components attached as designed) prone to any real wind noises with exception to some owners finding the door seals not sealing as designed and some wind noise around the mirrors (the mirror thing is kind of the way it is on most body designs).

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
For a quick check, ensure all the wind-strips are in good condition and seated properly. This includes the one at the back of the engine bay just in front of the cowling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you..yes original owner with no modification since purchase. Noise is very recent the vehicle has 84,000 miles with no other issues since purchase. Oil Changes, transmission fluid change, & battery replaced. Thanks again

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thank you..will have dealer check this at next oil change.
You can actually check this yourself in about five to ten minutes and without violating any condo/HOA rules (If they ask just say you're clearing leaves from the car). Make sure the engine is cool to the touch as you'll be reaching over it.

Open all doors and ensure anything that is rubber around the windows and door frames is pliable and soft as well as secured to the car.
Next open the hood and prop it up. At the rear of the engine compartment just in front of the wiper arms there is a rubber seal. Make sure it's also pliable, soft, and not cracked. Also, if it's in multiple pieces make sure the pieces are fitted together with the tabs going inside the adjoining rubber strip end.

If you have any rubber strips that are hard or cracked they need to be replaced as the first step in diagnosing wind noise.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
And check the front air dam (that plastic bit under the front bumper). It may have gotten cracked from hitting a tire stop in a parking lot.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 7 of 7 Posts