Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I've been searching the web for answers on this but can't find anything. I came back from a Lyft inspection and got turned away because my front left turn signal is always on. The blinker works properly when the parking light or headlights are off, but stays solid when either are on.
The blinker signal doesn't go faster as if a bulb was out, it's the normal frequency. All other blinkers work normally, the front left signal is just continuously on bright whether I use the blinker or not. The front right signal is on continuously as well but much dimmer (they are some sort of running/parking lights I assume). When the right side signal is on, it blinks properly. I've swapped both front bulbs and turned the bulbs around in their sockets, didn't change a thing (both bulbs work). The front left socket is browning from the heat of the bulb being on so bright continuously.
All fuses seem to work though I'm having trouble finding which one is for the turn signals.
I just got the car, it's a 2013 Chevy Cruze LT with 29,000 miles.
Not too sure where to go from here, I figured I'd ask you guys before bringing it in the shop!
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anything change depending on the headlight switch setting, i.e. off, parking lights, headlights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha, can't believe I didn't check for this. The turn signal does work properly when the headlights and parking lights are off. If either the headlights or parking lights are on, the turn signal stays on solid bright.

Does anything change depending on the headlight switch setting, i.e. off, parking lights, headlights?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
What you've done seems to eliminate a bulb problem and could narrow it down to electrical. The bulb itself has 2 filaments. One for the lower voltage for the parking light, and a second filament for the higher voltage that runs the turn signal. There's a wire for each going into the headlight assembly. Examine the wiring and see if you can find evidence of the previous owner tampering with the electrical. See if any wires have been cut, crossed or are damaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked and can't really find anything obvious. The wires seem fine at least around the socket itself. The socket is getting a nice roast but all the metal contacts inside seem fine. Maybe I should just buy a new socket and replace it to see if it fixes the issue?
FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

What you've done seems to eliminate a bulb problem and could narrow it down to electrical. The bulb itself has 2 filaments. One for the lower voltage for the parking light, and a second filament for the higher voltage that runs the turn signal. There's a wire for each going into the headlight assembly. Examine the wiring and see if you can find evidence of the previous owner tampering with the electrical. See if any wires have been cut, crossed or are damaged.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I suppose it's possible that the parking and turn signal wires are shorting together. (As opposed to being swapped.) You can try replacing the socket, but I'm not taking bets on it fixing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I learned some new stuff today as I had a little bit of time to play with it. It seems that something is wired wrong. The socket itself is composed of two pieces, one holds the bulb, the other holds the socket. I swapped the one that holds the bulb and the problem is still there on the left side. What I noticed is that the turn signal activates the bright filament on the right side (the side that works) and the parking light activates the dim filament. When I put everything back together, I noticed that the left side blinker doesn't remain on anymore, it does blink (both with the headlights/parking lights on or off) but it's the dim filament that blinks. The bright one doesn't turn on anymore!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yeah, that's the problem. The parking light is going to the bright filament, while the blinker is going to the dim filament. The question is - why? It strikes me as unlikely it left the factory that way. That's why the suggestion to look for any signs that the wiring had been messed with.

Although, I suppose a simple fix is to cut off the socket and put a new one on - with the leads reversed.

With the old-style bulbs with the baynet mount, it was possible to put it in backwards. (I've done it.) But I think in this case the "outer" pair of leads is one filament while the "inner" pair is the other. The bulb can be plugged in either way and it still connects the same way.

You've already swapped bulbs, so it can't be something weird with the bulb itself.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 8 of 8 Posts