Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
I've been using Top Tier Gasoline since it was introduced in the mid-2000s.

In that time I've never needed an injection cleaning.

In fact when my Tahoe was receiving its 100,000 mile service at the dealership the technician could not believe how clean the throttle body and intake manifold were. So much so that he called another technician over to show him.

You can read more about Top Tier Gasoline here:

Top Tier Gasoline

·
10,712 Posts
Shell in some places is as cheap or cheaper unless you have more fuel perks at the local grocery store. I am a FRN member but don't eat out enough at those point earning places to justify more than the 3 cents they already give anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Reactions: Merc6

·
10,712 Posts
Yes. It's a program through Shell where you earn fuel perks for eating in certain restaurants, as well as shopping in person and at online stores. You register your cards and when you pay with those cars they send a balance of points to the FRN card. They also have something if you registered master cards but it's been a while since I signed into the site online or on my phone app. The station that honors this usually ask if you have a FRN card before it asks you you to swipe debit/credit. I haven't found a place that gives points for buying stuff in the actual Shell gas station yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I used MapCo gas when I first got my MT6 Eco.. Since then, I've moved to (cough) Home Depot Fuel center.

Now, the funny thing is.. Mapco, Delta, Delta Express and a few BP's around here, all use the same gas.... However, their high end, is only 91.. and costs 20 cents more than what I'm paying at Home Depot.

Home Depot gas is good, and I've seen a increase in MPG using it... Of course its 93 octane.. But, because I go in, and put cash on a fuel card, I get it at a discounted price. Top Tier fuel? Most likely not.. But, I do notice my car runs better with it.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Yes, my Cruze runs noticeably better on certain brands of gas. It's not liking the Hess premium in the tank right now. There was a Gulf station it ran really well on, but I don't pass by that one anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Yes, my Cruze runs noticeably better on certain brands of gas. It's not liking the Hess premium in the tank right now. There was a Gulf station it ran really well on, but I don't pass by that one anymore.
I have noticed the same thing, even a few non top tier brands I've tried my car ran a bit nicer. My car runs great on BP and Cenex gas, though when given the choice I try to stay with top tier. Problem is to say my car runs great on all Mobil or BP gas would be untrue, there is major differences in my area from one station to the next.

So far I have found Mobil, BP, Shell, Cenex all don't carry the same octane premium when comparing stations of the same brand. 90% of the stations of these brands here are 91 octane no ethanol, however if you start to look around you will find a few with 93 10% ethanol for premium. There is a noticeable difference on how the car runs on these two fuels, the 93 octane is way smoother than the 91 octane.

MPG difference? we will see after these next 3-6tanks of gas. Gonna run three tanks 93 octane 10% ethanol Mobil, and another 3 91 octane no ethanol Mobil. From everything I have seen in the past I get better MPG with the 91, but my car runs better on the 93.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unocal or Cheveron here in So. Cal. They seem to be the most consistent. I use unocal for diesel.

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
Accept for Shell, there are no TOP TIER gas stations in Cincinnati. I guess I will be pushing my car. We have Sunoco, Speedway, BP(Big Penis) Thornton's Sam's and Kroger.

To answer:What's an FRN?. This is a Shell reward network. Only problem you cannot use both your Kroger plus card and FRN at eh same time and Kroger offers 10c off a gallon where FRN is 3c.

·
10,712 Posts
Accept for Shell, there are no TOP TIER gas stations in Cincinnati. I guess I will be pushing my car. We have Sunoco, Speedway, BP(Big Penis) Thornton's Sam's and Kroger.

To answer:What's an FRN?. This is a Shell reward network. Only problem you cannot use both your Kroger plus card and FRN at eh same time and Kroger offers 10c off a gallon where FRN is 3c.
Lol I was wondering where those random stores were. Major restaurants and online shopping is how we can earn them pints up north. Get-Go is as close as we get and it's 0.10¢ every $50 spent unless you buy items for sale that week circular that are double points. If you eat subway all the time buy $50 in subway and get points that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have noticed the same thing, even a few non top tier brands I've tried my car ran a bit nicer. My car runs great on BP and Cenex gas, though when given the choice I try to stay with top tier. Problem is to say my car runs great on all Mobil or BP gas would be untrue, there is major differences in my area from one station to the next.

So far I have found Mobil, BP, Shell, Cenex all don't carry the same octane premium when comparing stations of the same brand. 90% of the stations of these brands here are 91 octane no ethanol, however if you start to look around you will find a few with 93 10% ethanol for premium. There is a noticeable difference on how the car runs on these two fuels, the 93 octane is way smoother than the 91 octane.

MPG difference? we will see after these next 3-6tanks of gas. Gonna run three tanks 93 octane 10% ethanol Mobil, and another 3 91 octane no ethanol Mobil. From everything I have seen in the past I get better MPG with the 91, but my car runs better on the 93.
BP is now Top Tier.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Sunoco is the only brand I've ever had problems with, but that was before the Top Tier program started.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Same here but the funny thing is that it runs better on the "CHEAP" brands. My Cruze doesn't like Shell or BP, I wonder if the higher level of additives effect the way it runs. For now I'm stuck on Speedway 93, I'll run some fuel injector cleaner through her every few months...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts