Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am approaching 1500 miles on my 2014 2.0TD and am averaging 32.3mpg despite driving like a grandma. I am a salesman in Chicago where constant traffic has limited my average mph at fuel up to between 22.5-25mph despite daily 40 mile one way drives. Also, I run my tires at 42 psi cold. Can I expect my fuel economy to improve as the engine breaks in at similar usage? Will a tune help and are there other tips for improvement?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
You can expect fuel economy to increase as the engine breaks in, but don't expect a drastic change. At 22.5-25 MPH average speed, you are relatively doing 85%-95% city driving. The Cruze diesel is rated at 27 MPG in all city driving, so you are actually getting a few MPG better than the estimate.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
If you're getting 32+mpg in almost all city driving, you're right in the ballpark in my experience. On the tank I ran during the first 20 days of this month, I drove 75% in-town miles, mixed with an occasional 10-mile highway cruise between towns, and my average hovered right around 33 mpg with 30 mph average speeds. That tank is a bit rare for me, but it's summer so I'm not doing my one hour each way commute to teach my college courses. My CTD just passed 40,000 miles and 21 months.

If you watch your instant economy, you're probably seeing 40-50 mpg while you're out on the highway (once you're warmed up), and then around 27-30 driving around the city. But then, if Chicago driving is still like it was when I spent time there frequently 9-10 years ago, you're spending a ton of time getting 0 mpg while you sit in traffic or idle along at 3-5mph. Average that out, and your 32.3 is actually pretty good considering the circumstances.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for comparison sake my 2013 Ford Fiesta SE Auto 29/39 which I traded in averaged 35mpg on the same route. I'm not complaining as so far I love the car which is a nice step up and no more having to worry about the dreaded twin clutch automatic transmission that gave me fits.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Your Fiesta is also rated for +2 more MPG in the city. Fiesta = 35 MPG, Cruze Diesel = 32-33 MPG (-2 City MPG =>Your Average MPG -2). So you are basically right where you should expect to be if you calculate the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've done worse than that in heavy city driving. Welcome to the forum, and be sure to check out the diesel section!

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Your Fiesta is also rated for +2 more MPG in the city. Fiesta = 35 MPG, Cruze Diesel = 32-33 MPG (-2 City MPG =>Your Average MPG -2). So you are basically right where you should expect to be if you calculate the difference.
Actually the CTD is rated 27/46/33 (City/Highway/Combined).

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Actually the CTD is rated 27/46/33 (City/Highway/Combined).
The OP is doing nearly 95% (or more) city driving and stated he was getting around 32-33 MPG. I am aware of the CTD EPA estimates. I used the city estimate stated by the OP of the Fiesta (29 MPG) compared with the city estimate of the CTD (27 MPG) to get the -2 MPG figure he is getting with his CTD in all city driving vs his old Fiesta (35 - 2 = 33 MPG) to show the MPG he is experiencing is the expected result.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Here is a comparison of your 13 fiesta vs the 14 cruze diesel. Both claim a 33mpg combined average, so in theory one should average about the same MPG with either. However this gets a bit muddy if your not 50/50 city/hwy, the fiesta gets 2mpg better in the city where the cruze diesel gets 7mpg better on the hwy.

Your mostly city route doesn't take advantage of the cruze diesels real MPG capability..... long hwy drives.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Over 8,000 miles my 2014 CTD has averaged 33.6 mpg driving 50% city/50% highway. My city mileage is as low as 22 mpg. That is disappointing but I easily get 48 mpg on long trips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts