Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 1.8L with close to 70,000 on it. Well maintained oil is changed on time, and no codes are being thrown. I drive both interstate and city, I usually have a consistent foot, pretty flat ground. I recently went from 24mpg to 16mpg and it keeps getting worse. Is this a common issue, or what could it be? Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is not a common issue. Has the vehicle been serviced recently? The last time I had an issue like this, it was because I didn't seat the air filter properly and it was causing a blockage, but that threw a DTC code or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not a common issue. Has the vehicle been serviced recently? The last time I had an issue like this, it was because I didn't seat the air filter properly and it was causing a blockage, but that threw a DTC code or something.
Yes it has been through service 9,000 miles ago in may, and the filter is clean

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
I will guess based on past experience with other computer cars.
A thermostat, stuck open, will cause increased fuel consumption. The computer sees low coolant temp and enriches the mixture as it would during a normal warmup. Since it never reaches temperature, the fuel mixture remains rich.

I should not say stuck open, btw.....a failing thermostat is designed to default open.

Like I said, a guess since you have no info.

Rob

·
Registered
82 Posts
When you say "normal non synthetic" do you mean conventional? The gen 1 and 2 cruzes both require dexos and I don't recall seeing any conventional oils meeting that requirement.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
When you say "normal non synthetic" do you mean conventional? The gen 1 and 2 cruzes both require dexos and I don't recall seeing any conventional oils meeting that requirement.
The GM branded stuff was semi-synthetic, but even they've gone to full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Tire pressures all check ok?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts