Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour today. Dropped below 40mpg on my long term average. Moving forward 10 ft at a time will do that

I am convinced that all traffic jams are caused by automatic transmissions. Nobody with a manual would drive like that on purpose. Creep forward and about as soon as I get the clutch out all the way, the car in front is on the brakes again. If I open up the gap so I can accordian and leave the clutch out, 5 cars try to jam into the gap.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My 2012 cruze automatic also hates to be driven this way, slow roll stop and go is a jerky crap fest. Most traffic jams are usually caused by car accidents, road construction or time of day(rush hour).
Try driving a tractor trailer in traffic I get this every time I'm in traffic. This is why a long time ago I gave up on manuals in any cars I buy.

This what I would love to do in traffic sometimes :brave: I also know how much trouble I would be in if I did this. I use to haul gas too :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiylZS3ZaT4

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I wish the feds would push local governments to time their lights better instead of pushing car manufacturers for higher MPG. Stop and go will kill MPG regardless of the technology under the hood.

Light timing can cause some problems but nothing short of removing the lights or cars from the road will solve the problem. Also remember all hybrid and electric cars get their best MPG in the city.

For the same price as my cruze one can buy a penalty car(a prius C), it gets 51MPG in the city much better than my 1LT auto at 26mpg!!!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
I got stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour today. Dropped below 40mpg on my long term average. Moving forward 10 ft at a time will do that

I am convinced that all traffic jams are caused by automatic transmissions. Nobody with a manual would drive like that on purpose. Creep forward and about as soon as I get the clutch out all the way, the car in front is on the brakes again. If I open up the gap so I can accordian and leave the clutch out, 5 cars try to jam into the gap.
Welcome to the 21st century . you did invite the rest of this country to your state now did.nt ya .. well they arived .........

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts

Welcome to DC.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everybody waits until the last second to get into the lane that they need to be in to continue. So it's one big cluster**** across 6 lanes. Then somebody will contact someone else's bumper at 3 mph causing a little bit of plastic to be deformed and nasty paint scratch. These cars CANNOT be moved because this is a serious accident requiring the Fire Department to respond. The Fire Department must close 5 out of 6 lanes when they arrive just in case the car with the scratch explodes from the impact. This causes a chain reaction of cars slamming on their brakes further back until someone else isn't paying attention and plows their sngle occupied 8 passenger SUV into a group of stopped cars. Now we do need the FD to respond and they can't because they are working the scratched bumper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Used my AC yesterday since it was 85F outside, a route I take daily and typically get 39mpg on the DIC only gets 29MPG with the AC on. Talk about fuel economy killers!
I avoided using my A/C on Thursday and instead opened the windows (which also decreases fuel economy). However, I've discovered a big disadvantage of cabin air filters (the Cruze is the first car I've owned that has one). Without a cabin air filter, there's typically enough air flow from the vents into the passenger cabin while the car is in motion to get at least a little fresh air. However, with a cabin air filter there is so little air flow that I end up either having to run the fan or open the windows.

- Joe

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I've found after years of observation ....at the front of a traffic jam is usually some idiot on a cell phone, or otherwise not focused on the matter at hand which should be driving. And there is usually always others like them compounding the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I've found after years of observation ....at the front of a traffic jam is usually some idiot on a cell phone, or otherwise not focused on the matter at hand which should be driving. And there is usually always others like them compounding the problem.
Yesterday, I was at the head of the line at a traffic light. The light turned green and I left in a normal fashion. I watched the car behind me sit until all of the traffic in the adjoining lane had gone through the intersection and people in my lane were starting to pull out to go around the blockage. Yes, the lady was on her cell appendage.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Light timing can cause some problems but nothing short of removing the lights or cars from the road will solve the problem. Also remember all hybrid and electric cars get their best MPG in the city.
Maybe in WI it works better, but there's too many times where I'm sitting at a red light with no cross traffic. Or I get a green light at one light only to have the next light turn red on me. I'm not asking for perfection, but I'm saying there is room for improvement.

I have no idea why a Prius has better MPG in the city. There must be something that's causing a loss at highway speeds. Maybe their high efficiency has aerodynamic losses show up sooner. But stop/start is always worse MPG than steady at the same speed. Conventional brakes wastes energy. Even regenerative brakes aren't 100% efficient.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have no idea why a Prius has better MPG in the city. There must be something that's causing a loss at highway speeds. Maybe their high efficiency has aerodynamic losses show up sooner. But stop/start is always worse MPG than steady at the same speed. Conventional brakes wastes energy. Even regenerative brakes aren't 100% efficient.
electric motor...

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Maybe in WI it works better, but there's too many times where I'm sitting at a red light with no cross traffic. Or I get a green light at one light only to have the next light turn red on me. I'm not asking for perfection, but I'm saying there is room for improvement.

Around here, it depends on the road and the city. There are downtown streets that are timed at the speed limit of 30 mph. If the traffic is light, you can cruise the length of the downtown without stopping. Another road (state highway) that has lights is timed to 50 mph, the speed limit. Some of the 'burbs are deliberately set so you have to stop at every light.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Was one of the first people to drive on the brand new Edens Expressway starting from about Lake Forest into downtown Chicago, wow, six lanes three one direction with over and underpasses. Was built over old highway 41 one of the first four lane roads in this country built back in the 30's between Milwaukee and Chicago. Even in 1956 was all through farmland.

Lot has changed since then, with millions of homes built on either side of it over the last 60 years, but still three lanes. Could this be the problem?

Was called I-94, but later I-90 was built out toward O'Hare that use to be an empty field, going south, also was three lanes that joined in Chicago merging with the Edens into four lanes heading south. Converging six lanes into four lanes, could this also be part of the problem with traffic jams? Ha, use to take 30 minutes to hit downtown Chicago from 40 miles north now more like 4-5 hours, even worse in the snowy icy winter months.

So decided to move north, but getting just as bad up here. I-39 was built right through the center of Wausau, three lanes one way. Okay either far north or south of Wausau, but everyone living in Wausau is also using I-39? Can hit creeping traffic even five miles north of it. And the same with practically any other major, even minor city in the US.

Our highways just haven't kept up with the population growth. Not only this, but they are falling apart.

I-90 and I-94 converge in Tomah and stay this way clear south of Madison. Four lanes converge into two. In the right lane are semis bumper to bumper as far as the eye can see. They did add a 3rd lane near Madison, but besides all these trucks have all that Madison traffic as well. The population in this country has more than tripled since the interstates were first built. Gas tax went from a nickel a gallon to over 50 cents, so where is all this money going to? Certainly not for highway expansion.

This is the problem.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
By far the biggest economy killer is having to take a crap badly
Ha, one advantage to having a motorhome, just walk back first door on your right.

Not to make my prior post sound too negative, its heaven here compared to other countries. Talk about really nasty roads and way overpriced toll roads. In regards to restrooms, every gas station here has one, wife had to go on a recent long trip, hit my points of interest, there is one four miles ahead, can you make it? Won't find these in other countries like Latin America of even in Italy. Don't they have to go? Rare to find a filling station that even has a rest room, and if you do, better have two euros in your pocket.

Venezuela was one of the worse countries, have no idea what they are using for pavement, but if it rains, like driving on glare ice, then landslides blocking that one and only road, can be blocked for eight hours in only a 15KM trip.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts