Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some time to research before I buy new fuel efficient car,insurance like the Cruze styling nice little sedan. I wonder why it does not make any top ten fuel efficient car categories, at least from the way I searched google.ca

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
I have some time to research before I buy new fuel efficient car,insurance like the Cruze styling nice little sedan. I wonder why it does not make any top ten fuel efficient car categories, at least from the way I searched google.ca
Maybe its not one of the top 10 fuel efficient cars? It is quite economical and does very well, styling is sharp and insurance rates for the CRUZE are generally reasonable! Come on over

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Part of the reason it doesn't make the top 10 in fuel economy is because it's not as efficient on paper. In real world driving many of us outperform the cars in the top 10. My ECO MT is rated 33 MPG combined but I'm above 42 MPG combined over nearly 89,000 miles. We just had a report from a Gen2 Premier owner getting 5 MPG over the highway rating on his recent road trip.

GM, as a general rule, is very conservative when it comes to testing for fuel economy. This means that while their cars "meet" the competition's ratings the reality is they normally outperform the competition, which makes for happier customers.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The reason its not in the top 10 for MPG? Hybrid cars. The all new 2016+ cruze(not the limited) matches the top car in the compact car category for MPG(Honda Civic). If you want to spend an extra 3-5 thousand dollars to get better MPG in a hybrid go for it, but for non-hybrid cars you will be hard pressed to find many that get better MPG. Since a hybrid cost more up front, your actually spending more to claim that MPG number anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know.i have round trip 200 kilometers that I ride share every other day 80%would be considered highway driving. Right now in my current car with 60 litre fill I'm only getting 550 kilometers per tank or less

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
What speeds on the highway? With the automatic transmission cruze it doesn't like speeds above 70mph(112kph), that's the point the MPG starts to tank. I drove about 80% highway with most of my driving in the 45-70mph range, both my sonic and cruze(same engine and transmission) I average 35-36mpg with the automatic.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
So with 36 mpg what was your total miles

Cruze has a 15.6 gallon tank with a 2.5 gallon reserve when the low fuel warning goes off. Based on that If you ran to the low fuel warning that's about 475 miles per tank(765 Kilometers) average for me. I've had many tanks over 500 miles and once even over 600 miles. That tank capacity is sorely missed with my new Sonic, it only has a 12.2 gallon tank and struggles to get 400 miles to a fill up even though I do get slightly better MPG.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow if I could get 700 kilometers per tank, honestly I wonder if it would even be worth it for diesel ...700 would honestly make me buy one,so I wonder if us gallon tank is same as what's up here in Canada.
Like I mentioned 60 litre tank now and low fuel goes off around 500 kilometers mark

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
And I would be in the 80-120 kmh range for driving
120 Kph is on the high end for fuel efficiency. Keep your RPMs at or below 2000 for the most efficient drive.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
My experience is in accordance with what others have said, that the Cruze is capable of exceeding its factory fuel economy ratings. Some individual cars won't, and some drivers won't, but generally they're capable of it. My 2013 manual transmission Cruze LT, in 100% stock tune with factory tires, has been known to get 39-40 MPG on 450 mile trips, when it's only rated for 38 highway - and I don't go to great lengths to "hypermile". When my wife drives the car it averages about 3 MPG less (evidence to the difference driving technique can make) but I could always get 36-38 out of it before I was silly enough to buy a set of non-LRR Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires which immediately,comprehensively dropped fuel economy 2.5 MPG.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Wow if I could get 700 kilometers per tank, honestly I wonder if it would even be worth it for diesel ...700 would honestly make me buy one,so I wonder if us gallon tank is same as what's up here in Canada.
Like I mentioned 60 litre tank now and low fuel goes off around 500 kilometers mark
We just had one CTD driver top 1000 miles on a tank. Take a look at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/23017-hypercruzer-badges.html to get a feel for the Cruze can do on the open road if you hold your speeds down just a little. The Gen1 Cruze has repeatedly shown that it's a long range highway car. The Gen2 is anticipated to be similar based on knowing how GM rates their cars and how the EPA testing works. Near the end of that thread you'll actually see the real world distance results for several members.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will there actually be a 2017 ctd?and if the whisper Motor does make its way on the market
Will it match the tdi h.p. and tourque? And the bigger question will they keep it longer than 2 year's

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Will there actually be a 2017 ctd?and if the whisper Motor does make its way on the market
Will it match the tdi h.p. and tourque? And the bigger question will they keep it longer than 2 year's
Yes. Calendar 2017.

Most TDIs will be removed from the market. So it will exceed whatever VW has left.

Yes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts