Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, mostly for the Eco drivers - Has anybody achieved near 100,000 miles on their original Goodyear Fuel Max tires? I'm on my original set and passing 87,000 miles. I'll see if I can get to 100,000 miles. I still have pretty decent tread (#boringdriver).

Also, in anticipation of impending tire replacement, since I've had such good luck with the Fuel Max tires, I'm looking at the Tire Rack for replacements. Does anybody know why three "different" Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires are shown for 215/55R 17 94V UTQG: 580 A A? Prices are $119.20, $111.68, and $106.20. I can't tell if there is a difference in these tires.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
There are actually three different FuelMax tires. One version is H rated and was the OEM tire for the 2011 ECO MT. The other two are V rated but with different tread depths.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
The difference is the tread-depth. Ours is the 9/32" one - 19lbs. The 10/32" model is 23 lbs.

All three are V-rated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's awesome how many miles you have on your original fuel max tires. Mine came with the Firestone FR710 and I just had to replace them last month. No way they were making it through this winter with the treads left at 48,000 miles. Hopefully my V rated set gets just as many miles as your original goodyears!

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I can't seem to get more than 35,000 miles on any brand tires on my cruze, though I do live in an area with about 10-30 corners per mile.

·
2,254 Posts
We have the Assurance Fuel Max on our '15 Tahoe, awesome set of tires. 30k on the thing already and the tires look barely used. Get 24-25 MPG with the sucker too.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Im currently on my 4th set. I have averged exactly 84,500 miles per set. My previous set of eco fuel max tires were replaced after 94k miles. They have a tread of 9/32 and have a 65k mile warranty....needless to say I get my moneys worth everytime. I pay on average about $120 per tire out the door after lifetime install and tax at discount tire.

These tires still had about 2/32 remaining and im sure I could have achieved 100k miles if it wasnt for the inside shoulder wear which caused some of the steel belts to appear on the tire after so many miles. So that is something to keep in mind. You should have your tire inspected for any exposed steel belts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm at 80,000 miles on my fuel max tires. Defiantly getting another set when I have to but I'm sure it won't make it to 100k.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Im currently on my 4th set. I have averged exactly 84,500 miles per set. My previous set of eco fuel max tires were replaced after 94k miles. They have a tread of 9/32 and have a 65k mile warranty....needless to say I get my moneys worth everytime. I pay on average about $120 per tire out the door after lifetime install and tax at discount tire.

These tires still had about 2/32 remaining and im sure I could have achieved 100k miles if it wasnt for the inside shoulder wear which caused some of the steel belts to appear on the tire after so many miles. So that is something to keep in mind. You should have your tire inspected for any exposed steel belts.
Do you run yours FuelMax Assurance year round?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Also, what PSI does everyone with the Fuel Max run at? I have mine at 32psi right now which gives a nice ride, but the labeling on the tire says you can pump it up to 52 or 54 I think. Seems high

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Yes I use the fuel max tires all year. They have always kept me on the road even on the harsh winter mountain highways near Sun Valley, Idaho. I drive from 3k to 5.5k ft elevation everyday and I know your familiar with elevation being from Colorado. Im very satisfied with the Goodyear FuelMax tires.

I considered purchasing a new set of Goodyear winter tires for the winter months starting this year....in fact I was checking prices earlier this morning.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
During the summer months I keep the psi at the manufacturer reccommended 35. During winter I increase the psi to 37 to help compinsate for the vast reduction in temperature I experience during my drive from 3 to 5.5k ft elevation.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thanks. I'm torn between sticking with my Perellis or going back to the FuelMax Assurance next spring when I replace my tires.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
Also, what PSI does everyone with the Fuel Max run at? I have mine at 32psi right now which gives a nice ride, but the labeling on the tire says you can pump it up to 52 or 54 I think. Seems high
I bumped them up to 46 psi a couple hundred miles before I threw the winter tires back on last Friday.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If I remember correctly the sidewall PSI is 51 cold. The door placard on the ECO MT is 35 PSI. Run your tires anywhere between these two numbers (cold). Look for the sweet spot for yourself trading off comfort and performance. Safety is pretty much a given as long as you don't under or overinflate your tires. Higher pressure equates to less sidewall flex => stiffer ride, more predictable cornering, and less heat buildup in the tire. I discovered that if I started my FuelMax tires at 45 PSI cold or 50 PSI cold they maxed out about 54 PSI hot.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I just replaced mine a few months ago at 76,000 miles with General RT43's. The OE's still had between 4/32" - 5/32" with no problems so I'm sure 100,000 miles was definitely doable. FWIW, I always kept them inflated to 40-42 psi whereas I'm running the Generals between 35-37 psi.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bumped them up to 46 psi a couple hundred miles before I threw the winter tires back on last Friday.
If I remember correctly the sidewall PSI is 51 cold. The door placard on the ECO MT is 35 PSI. Run your tires anywhere between these two numbers (cold). Look for the sweet spot for yourself trading off comfort and performance. Safety is pretty much a given as long as you don't under or overinflate your tires. Higher pressure equates to less sidewall flex => stiffer ride, more predictable cornering, and less heat buildup in the tire. I discovered that if I started my FuelMax tires at 45 PSI cold or 50 PSI cold they maxed out about 54 PSI hot.
Cool thank you. Guess Ill start at 35 and work my way up from there. Im afraid that if I kept mine at 45-50 cold, it would literally shake the car apart from the terrible roads here ha

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Text Font Line Number Screenshot

max sidewall pressure is 51 PSI. Mine is at 50.... I was looking for a reason why the extra 4 pounds. turns out the heaver tire has a tread that is and inch wider....

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Thanks. I'm torn between sticking with my Perellis or going back to the FuelMax Assurance next spring when I replace my tires.
No complaints with my fuel max tires on the diesel or the eco during the winter months here. I wish the tires lasted longer for me but I drive a little more aggressively I guess lol.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm struggling with the same question. Currently I have the Firestone FR710's, don't understand why everyone bad mouths them, I've had great service from these tires. 54k on them now and still have about 5/32 tread left. Only reason I'm changing brands is I want a little better fuel economy and these are horrible in the snow. I had made up my mind to go with the Fuel Max but have since discovered the Perellis P-7's. These tires have better ratings, greatly enhanced traction and are ECO rated at a 14% friction reduction. Looks like a better tire to me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts