Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that their computer's mpg does not sync with what happens at the pump? What I'm getting at the pump is about 10% less than what the computer shows. Disappointing. Is there any way to recalibrate the computer?

The 42 mpg shown by the computer is knocked down to 38. Bummer. Still have not re-gapped my plugs though...

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
There are multiple threads on this topic.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that their computer's mpg does not sync with what happens at the pump? What I'm getting at the pump is about 10% less than what the computer shows. Disappointing. Is there any way to recalibrate the computer?

The 42 mpg shown by the computer is knocked down to 38. Bummer. Still have not re-gapped my plugs though...
...here is one--of many--prior postings on this subject: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/925-fool-economy-vs-fuel-economy.html

·
Registered
904 Posts
And with my Cruze nearing 10,000 miles the pump reading at first click is often within .10 of a gallon compared to the DIC.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Been a long ungoing debate as to whether gasoline should be sold by weight instead of volume, volume changes like crazy with temperature. Recall on my old Buick when I had my own above fuel tank at home when I could. Fill it up cold in the morning, drove 30 miles to work, in the mid afternoon, the gas would be overflowing from the tank.

Just saying the fuel in your tank expands and compresses as well so will take more in the morning than in the mid afternoon, particularly if you live in Wisconsin where the temperature varies 30-40*F each day. Yesterday morning, filled up and took a 120 mile trip, but decided to top it off again when I got home. Only took 0.9 gallons, really doubt if I am getting 133 mpg. Fuel used said 1.8 gallons.

Can say one good thing about the Cruze, gas gauge is far more accurate than anything GM made before. Use to drive all day and the gas gauge would read over full. But once it hit that full mark would drop quicker than a brick from the top of the Empire State Building.

On other vehicles with a fuel monitoring system, computed from the dwell the injectors were opened, but based on a non-sensed fuel regulator that could vary +/- 10%, if high, gas used was proportionly higher. But was also unadjustable, just had to find one that regulated at the middle. Or just say the heck with it.

See this regulator is mounted inside the fuel tank for the Cruze, that is good, less one more fuel line to rust out. But not good if it goes bad, have to drop the tank to replace it.

See they are also using a thick film fuel sender, friend has one in his 2001 Buick, best price we can find is 140 bucks for that two buck POS. Could repair anyone made from nichrome, but nothing to repair on these, nothing there to start with. He was using ethanol, ate that metallic plating to nothing. Another reason not to use ethanol.

Sometimes I feel the whole world is against us, but hope the few are enjoying our billions of dollars we have to waste to get to work or school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts