Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for Fuelly so that I can place a badge here in my signature.

Before I added my first "fill up" I was wondering if I could use my total odometer and total gallons used (since that is tracked on my DIC) as my first fill up in order to display my overall mileage from the beginning. Or is there another way to establish mileage/fuel usage to date without doing it as the fill up option?

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't use that data, even though I suspect it won't be totally accurate. It would give you a good starting place though. I don't know of another way to record it, but it has been a little while since I set up a new vehicle.

My Excursion hasn't had accurate recording for most of its life, but I've tried to go back and recreate records as much as possible. I've added in the fill ups that I do know, but it doesn't use them in calculation unless there's another one right by it to factor in.

Now that I think about it, when I was inputting a lot of that, I had to choose that it wasn't a full fill up for the first one or that I missed one, so that way it wouldn't calculate it in. Otherwise my lifetime average would be terribly inaccurate with roughly 40k of untracked miles. But since you have a gallons number throw it in there like a normal fill up and it should give you an accurate calculation.

I'd put in the notes section that this is your starting mileage and the info so far from the DIC.

Just curious, how many untracked miles are we talking about here?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
You guys like puzzles , here is one fer ya , what two things Go upper case left ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I couldn't get the numbers to work out in Fuelly trying to start from the beginning. I filled up today, and will start tracking it from my current odometer reading. I figured it was worth a shot.

14786 miles using 422.9 gallons (per DIC) = 34.96 MPG
With no mods, and using only 85 octane, I'm not complaining!!

Just switched to 93 octane and waiting to see if I get a MPG boost after several tanks of the good stuff. The car seems to respond better, I'm hoping that the numbers will be better as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,288 Posts
I couldn't get the numbers to work out in Fuelly trying to start from the beginning. I filled up today, and will start tracking it from my current odometer reading. I figured it was worth a shot.

14786 miles using 422.9 gallons (per DIC) = 34.96 MPG
With no mods, and using only 85 octane, I'm not complaining!!

Just switched to 93 octane and waiting to see if I get a MPG boost after several tanks of the good stuff. The car seems to respond better, I'm hoping that the numbers will be better as well.
Dave you and I are in the same boat: I have an 2012 Eco with no mods either. I find when I use 93 I look @ 35 MPG and @ 33- 34 with 87/89 Most all my driving is City. I am not sure what my Fuelly starting mileage was(If I entered one). I somehow can't justify the cost diff for the MPG difference but the power difference makes up for it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave you and I are in the same boat: I have an 2012 Eco with no mods either. I find when I use 93 I look @ 35 MPG and @ 33- 34 with 87/89 Most all my driving is City. I am not sure what my Fuelly starting mileage was(If I entered one). I somehow can't justify the cost diff for the MPG difference but the power difference makes up for it!
Have you gapped your spark plugs? I did mine this evening and the factory gaps were all over the place. Between this, using 93 octane, and inflating my tires a bit more, I plan to hit the high 30s maybe low 40s in the MPGs

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't wait to get another fill-up under my belt so that I can see what Fuelly is calculating my MPG at. I've only ran 85 octane in my Cruze, and now I'm starting Fuelly at the same time I started running 93 in her.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO, I would just put in the 1st fill up you are recording, and then check the box that says I missed a fuel-up, as the DIC Gas used is not accurate. This is what I did anyway, I started recording at 14,110 miles (the miles on the car when I bought it)
That's exactly what I ended up having to do. I wasn't aware that the DIC was inaccurate in the Gas Used part. With that being the case, is it safe to assume that all other functions other than mileage are inaccurate as well?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
That's exactly what I ended up having to do. I wasn't aware that the DIC was inaccurate in the Gas Used part. With that being the case, is it safe to assume that all other functions other than mileage are inaccurate as well?
Pretty much, as it is not a true measurement, but more of a calculation on the computer's part. Now, the DIC should not be WAY off, but it is off some. For example, in my car, I have fueled up when the DIC says I used 8.x gallons, but I put in 10gallons (at 1st click). This does seem to be off by more then I would expect, but it is close enough that I'm not super worried about it, as I just use the DIC numbers (all except Odo, like you mentioned) as a rough estimate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.