Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I need your advice here. I have a 2012 manual eco. Now I want to get a full size rim and tire and put it into my trunk when I take a long trip. Then what is the most economic way to do that? Junk yard? ebay? My tire number is 215/55 17. I have read the thread:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/161-interior-tutorials/9312-how-install-gm-specd-spare-tire-eco-mt-trunk.html

and I did not find much information

One more question, is it safe to leave a full size rim with tire in the trunk without any constrain?
Thanks.
Dan

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
The full size tire will lift the trunk floor by about an inch and a half to two inches. The Spare tire I put in in the referenced thread is the actual spare tire found in the LS, LT, and LTZ.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went with a junkyard Cruze spare for my Eco. It's a compact, but as already noted a full-size spare is too deep for the opening.

I also did a more budget-oriented method and used the original spareless trunk floor. It required a little trimming, but I ended up only having to buy the spare tire and a jack.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I went with a junkyard Cruze spare for my Eco. It's a compact, but as already noted a full-size spare is too deep for the opening.

I also did a more budget-oriented method and used the original spareless trunk floor. It required a little trimming, but I ended up only having to buy the spare tire and a jack.
There is a cover available for the manual Eco's hole if you want to pretty it up.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Actually if you had the flat trunk floor they place foam blocks over the compact spare area to fill in the gap the smaller rim makes. Also the front edge of the trunk is a raised 2-3in lip(the trunk floor is lower than the rear seat area), so if one was inclined could easily modify the flat trunk floor to completely cover a fullsize spare. You would loose 2-3inches depth from the entire trunk this way however.

I opted for the fullsize spare to stick up the 1-2inches it does with the modified eco trunk floor, its actually quite handy in the trunk at keeping cargo where I place it. I can fit a 24 pack(cube) of soda in either rear corner of the trunk, put on 200+ miles of driving like a maniac and the cargo has never moved.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Actually if you had the flat trunk floor they place foam blocks over the compact spare area to fill in the gap the smaller rim makes. Also the front edge of the trunk is a raised 2-3in lip(the trunk floor is lower than the rear seat area), so if one was inclined could easily modify the flat trunk floor to completely cover a fullsize spare. You would loose 2-3inches depth from the entire trunk this way however.

I opted for the fullsize spare to stick up the 1-2inches it does with the modified eco trunk floor, its actually quite handy in the trunk at keeping cargo where I place it. I can fit a 24 pack(cube) of soda in either rear corner of the trunk, put on 200+ miles of driving like a maniac and the cargo has never moved.
That 's the ticket along with a good running engine ..less carbon build up from driving like a maniac ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts