Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to pull off the dealer lot next week with my brand new 2019 Cruze RS and I want to go directly to Valvoline and get Full Synthetic put in.

Anybody have any reasons why this is NOT the best idea?

I feel like it's a good plan.

·
Registered
577 Posts
do it, nothing wrong other than wasting money....break it in first and dump that oil after a few thousand miles then switch to whatever oil you want.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I go 500 miles before changing. No need to do it immediately.

Let the motor get rinsed of the dirt and dust and metal debris first. From the manufacturing process.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,537 Posts
Engine "break-in" is already done somewhat when the engines are assembled. The manual tells you to run it easy for the first 500 miles or so - vary engine speeds, avoid full throttle launches, and avoid redline.

You may choose to dump the factory fill anywhere from 500-3000 miles (I went for 3k on mine; others did differently), but I can't think of a reason to do it immediately. It's already full synthetic 0W-20.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine "break-in" is already done somewhat when the engines are assembled. The manual tells you to run it easy for the first 500 miles or so - vary engine speeds, avoid full throttle launches, and avoid redline.

You may choose to dump the factory fill anywhere from 500-3000 miles (I went for 3k on mine; others did differently), but I can't think of a reason to do it immediately. It's already full synthetic 0W-20.
Not that I don't believe you but can you provide proof they put full synthetic in upon assembly completion?

I scoured the interwebs for a bit and couldn't find proof.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is your take on the factory Full Synthetic that comes with the Car? Is it really bad, I only ask because that is all I've ever used?
In my mind I imagine the factory using lower quality synthetic oil...

Not all Full synthetic's are made equal

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Oil's aren't created equal in general.

I don't know what the dealers use. But when I did my first free change. My mileage dropped from 34 on original oil to 28 with dealer oil.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The car is factory filled with Dexos1gen2 oil. Which is full synthetic.

I wouldn't switch it out at a Valvoline shop.

I also don't know what particularly looks good about it. It's typical zinc/phosphorus levels and it has a fairly high(bad) evaporation rate of 12%, and it's not dirt cheap. Amazon Basics, Walmart Supertech High Mileage both have better evap numbers, test pretty well, and are cheaper.

Moving up to select Castrol and Pennzoil oils widely available everywhere and inexpensively, then after that you come up to "microbrew" and foreign oils like Schaeffer, Ravenol, LiquiMoly, and others

And of course Amsoil is arguably the best of the best if you can stomach the price and most likely e-tailer only purchasing.

I wouldn't recommend anyone dump the factory fill that early for a middling at best oil, especially since Valvoline shops are going to put on the wrong spec filter. Garaunteed.

/$.02

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I wouldn't recommend anyone dump the factory fill that early for a middling at best oil, especially since Valvoline shops are going to put on the wrong spec filter. Guaranteed.

/$.02
Unfortunately, Team One Chevrolet put the wrong spec filter in mine and I didn't think to double check it. Fortunately I put less than 2500 miles on it before it hit the one year mark and I drained it. (PF64, not UPF64R)

BTW, I just noticed RockAuto is listing a PF663 for the LE2.
What's up with that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is factory filled with Dexos1gen2 oil. Which is full synthetic.

I wouldn't switch it out at a Valvoline shop.

I also don't know what particularly looks good about it. It's typical zinc/phosphorus levels and it has a fairly high(bad) evaporation rate of 12%, and it's not dirt cheap. Amazon Basics, Walmart Supertech High Mileage both have better evap numbers, test pretty well, and are cheaper.

Moving up to select Castrol and Pennzoil oils widely available everywhere and inexpensively, then after that you come up to "microbrew" and foreign oils like Schaeffer, Ravenol, LiquiMoly, and others

And of course Amsoil is arguably the best of the best if you can stomach the price and most likely e-tailer only purchasing.

I wouldn't recommend anyone dump the factory fill that early for a middling at best oil, especially since Valvoline shops are going to put on the wrong spec filter. Garaunteed.

/$.02
Can you elaborate on why Valvoline is so bad? How do you know they always put on the wrong filters?

It seems that everyone has different opinions but in the Lansing MI area Valvoline is one of the few I would trust...

All these ghetto quick lubes or others I don't trust worth a darn.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wouldn't recommend anyone dump the factory fill that early for a middling at best oil, especially since Valvoline shops are going to put on the wrong spec filter. Guaranteed.

/$.02
Unfortunately, Team One Chevrolet put the wrong spec filter in mine and I didn't think to double check it. Fortunately I put less than 2500 miles on it before it hit the one year mark and I drained it. (PF64, not UPF64R)

BTW, I just noticed RockAuto is listing a PF663 for the LE2.
What's up with that?
Everybody makes mistakes, and sh!t happens sometimes, but right now no one but ACD makes a true UPF64R alternative, so going anywhere but a dealer or ACDelco shop just garauntees the wrong filter will be installed, as opposed to just there may be a chance it will at a dealer....LOL
PF663 is a Chinese made filter that is somehow magically a PF48 and PF64 cross reference.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Can you elaborate on why Valvoline is so bad? How do you know they always put on the wrong filters?

It seems that everyone has different opinions but in the Lansing MI area Valvoline is one of the few I would trust...

All these ghetto quick lubes or others I don't trust worth a darn.
I never said they were "so bad".
I said they were garaunteed to out on the wrong filter, because the UPF64R is the filter your car uses. And they don't make a proper UPF64R replacement. Neither does anyone else... So unless you get the oil changed at a dealer, or a shop that uses ACDelco filters, you're garaunteed to get the wrong one. They are most likely going to put on a VO-88 which a PF48 cross reference. MAYBE they'll put on a VO-200, which is supposed to be a PF64 cross reference. There's allegedly a Valvoline filter which is just a reboxed UPF64R with a white paint job, but I haven't seen one yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts