Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I can’t imagine changing manufacturers oil out to go any other brand, I just do t worry about stuff like that. I change oil a bit before the on board computer suggests it and I have never had an engine problem, ok I had a 1981 Buick Riviera with a Diesel engine blow up, those engines sucked, so I don’t equate that to what oil I used.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I can’t imagine changing manufacturers oil out to go any other brand, I just do t worry about stuff like that. I change oil a bit before the on board computer suggests it and I have never had an engine problem, ok I had a 1981 Buick Riviera with a Diesel engine blow up, those engines sucked, so I don’t equate that to what oil I used.
I'm a firm believer in the value of an early (500-1000miles) first oil and filter change. Gets any excessive manufacturing debris/break-in materials/assembly lube out of engine early. It used to be common place. And is still recommended on the Vette.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought my 2014 2LT Cruze (with 6 speed mt) new. Since the first oil change I've used Mobil 1. I change it every 3500 miles or 6 months, which every comes first. I only drive approximately 7K a year. Oil life is usually between 40-50%. I also check often to see how the oil looks. Dirty oil is the enemy of all engines. I use the factory oil filter also. Switched from 5W30 to 0W30 two years ago. Have noticed better start up in the winter (northern Ohio) & slightly better MPG in the cold weather. At 38K I've had NO problems with the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
I change it every 3500 miles or 6 months, which every comes first. I only drive approximately 7K a year.
Why?

Given you only drive 7k miles per year, you can easily just change your oil once a year and be good. Changing synthetic every 3500 miles is far beyond overkill. Even changing conventional at that interval is overkill.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I change it every 3500 miles or 6 months, which every comes first. I only drive approximately 7K a year.
Why?

Given you only drive 7k miles per year, you can easily just change your oil once a year and be good. Changing synthetic every 3500 miles is far beyond overkill. Even changing conventional at that interval is overkill.
I agree for the most part, especially on a Gen1, but it's very easy to imagine a scenario where with that mileage I'd want to change my oil twice a year too...Especially with the cold involved.

7000 miles is less than 10 miles one way to work, 5 days a week, with same amount driving on the weekends. That's a while mess of short trips. I would be changing my oil too.
My LFX Impala triggers the DIC to change oil at about 4000miles with my wife driving. She uses remote start alot, and only works 9 miles away from home.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,498 Posts
The car dealers & quick lubes still recommend 3 to 4K. I keep my vehicles 10 or more years so I'm playing it safe.
Course they do, more money/business for them.

In reality, any cheap off-the-shelf synthetic oil can be used for 6000-7500 mi (or 1 year, whichever comes first) changes in a modern small turbo engine.

Both of my Cruzes do a whole ton of short <5 mile trips, and the oil analysis comes back fine.

Here's the Gen 1 running Pennzoil Platinum, $22 for 5 qts at Walmart. 7300 mi, 8 months on the change.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Course they do, more money/business for them.

In reality, any cheap off-the-shelf synthetic oil can be used for 6000-7500 mi (or 1 year, whichever comes first) changes in a modern small turbo engine.

Both of my Cruzes do a whole ton of short <5 mile trips, and the oil analysis comes back fine.

Here's the Gen 1 running Pennzoil Platinum, $22 for 5 qts at Walmart. 7300 mi, 8 months on the change.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
11 Participants
MP81
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing