Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What happens if you shut it down with the dipstick pulled (or the oil cap removed)? It sounds like something under pressure leaking down. Was the A/C on at the time?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not tried to troubleshoot it. I know it only does it after the wifes hour drive home. From cold with some short trips. It did not do it, Only have a long drive. I have about 3k miles of extended warranty left so I'm dropping it off Monday, but was curious if anybody had experienced it or had a guess.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
2 guesses:

1) HPFP system (regulator?)
2) A/C system (was it running?)

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
Do the intake valves make their squeaky-squeak noise afterwards?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sound still occurs after shut down, hmm, sounds like slow pressure relief of some kind. Sounds loud, close to top of engine, turbo bearing seizing up? Long shot but possible, your at that kind of millage for anything. Is all accessories off? Its definitely still occurring after engine stopped. So maybe vacuum leak down, turbo bad bearing spin down, or ABS pump issues? All guesses because video isn't helpful in pinpointing noise.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
After the car makes the noise, your wife says "There's definitely something wrong". Usually when I make that sound my wife utters a few choice swear words LOL.

Would love to hear an update after the visit to the dealership next week, very curious noise for sure!

·
Registered
168 Posts
My car has made that noise for almost it's entire life. It is only for a couple seconds after shutdown, it's some slow bleed down of either vacuum or pressure. For those trying to diagnose this sound, I've literally tried every combination of HVAC and accessories, the noise happens no matter what accessory is on or off during shutdown.

I'm pretty sure it comes from this: Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Family car

·
Registered
168 Posts
After doing some research, the wastegate actuator vacuum control solenoid resides under this little shield.

GM Part # 55575611

Google "turbo wastegate solenoid noise" and check out the videos , it's definitely the source of the noise. Let me know if you replace it. I've been running with it like that for probably 60k. Shockingly my DEALER never identified it as a problem the COUNTLESS times it was in for repair..........

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
After doing some research, the wastegate actuator vacuum control solenoid resides under this little shield.

GM Part # 55575611

Google "turbo wastegate solenoid noise" and check out the videos , it's definitely the source of the noise. Let me know if you replace it. I've been running with it like that for probably 60k. Shockingly my DEALER never identified it as a problem the COUNTLESS times it was in for repair..........
CTD has no wastegate :eek:. That vacuum controls the vanes inside the turbo.

But yeah that sounds like the issue. It 'shouldn't' make that noise. Most likely a leak, somewhere... That reservoir is a stupid hack don't get any ideas from it, but that's Opel for ya.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CTD has no wastegate :eek:. That vacuum controls the vanes inside the turbo.

But yeah that sounds like the issue. It 'shouldn't' make that noise. Most likely a leak, somewhere... That reservoir is a stupid hack don't get any ideas from it, but that's Opel for ya.
Well, Alldata has this part listed as such, and doing a search on the part number will come up with multiple references to the turbo wastegate valve. I seriously doubt that our turbo diesel engines have no wastegate. They may not have a blow-off valve, but I'm sure there is some type of wastegate.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Well, Alldata has this part listed as such, and doing a search on the part number will come up with multiple references to the turbo wastegate valve. I seriously doubt that our turbo diesel engines have no wastegate. They may not have a blow-off valve, but I'm sure there is some type of wastegate.
I wouldn't say it didn't have one if I wasn't 100% sure. You can find some vids on youtube. Just search "How a VGT turbo works"

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't say it didn't have one if I wasn't 100% sure. You can find some vids on youtube. Just search "How a VGT turbo works"
Okay, so no wastegate, yet the part is named the wastegate actuator...go figure. You could call it a turd handler if you want, this actuator controls the boost levels going to the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Okay, so no wastegate, yet the part is named the wastegate actuator...go figure. You could call it a turd handler if you want, this actuator controls the boost levels going to the intake manifold.
A wastegate or actuator by any other name...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts