Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge fan of RP. I've had nothing but fantastic luck with the oil. I was dissapointed when I noticed that GM voids warranties when non DEXOS 1 (certified) oils are used...
Royal Purple hadn't been through certification...

I emailed RP about 2-3 months ago and they stated they had no plans to certify the oil - much to my dismay...

I'm done with the factory oil at 9,000 miles, I'm changing it not because I ran out of GM % life, but because there is no oil on the freaking dipstick (as to be expected on a 9,000 mile oil change)

My 06 2.0TFsi Passat went through a quart every 2,500 miles and VW said that was normal... And it was. Turbo cars lose oil period. The oil rings on the 1.4t are intentionally not overly taught this improves life of the rings and improves fuel economy at the expense of a bit of oil here and there...

Anyways. I saw at Autozone new RP Dexos1 approved oil. It's CRAZY loot but I love the oil so much. I'll give my impressions. Unbiased impressions. For instance, RP on my wifes old 2002 Saturn, I notcied no difference. On my Supra and my 08 Aura XR I noticed a significant difference (especially on the Soup).

We shall see how this goes. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Certifiied and Meets are two different things! They're plenty of oils on the market that meet the GM dexos1 spec.

The companies that don't want to pay the GM royalty fee are Valvoline, Castrol, ConocoPhillips, Amsoil, Red Line, and Royal Purple. They all make oils that meet or exceed the dexos1 spec. The Cruze engines aren't going to blow up if you don't use a dexos1 oil.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've never used RP, but I'm looking for a good dexos1 synthetic blend for my first oil change, and I'm not waiting until 0% oil life. I'm going full synthetic after the first oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...OMG,
Earl Sinclair had Royal Purpleblood (wink,wink)?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used Royal Purple years ago. It's a group 4 base stock, I believe. I don't feel the need to spend so much on oil changes for a Cruze though. I would love to use German Castrol (used it in my old GP GXP, GTO, and G8), as that would outperform RP.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
784 Posts
What are the dealers using? I have a card from my dealership for $11.95 oil changes for the life of the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...depends upon actual "extreme" cold-weather temperatures (Owners Manual, Vehicle Care, page 10-11):

SAE 5W-30 if above -20ºF (-29ºC)
SAE 0W-30 if below -20ºF (-29ºC)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just yesterday, i bought my oil to do my first oil change myself. I've used Valvoline for over a decade now, and i'm not gonna switch now. I don't blame Valvoline for not paying GM to show their logo on the front of the bottle, that's like giving the Government extra $, and ya'll know how that's gonna turn out!!! I bought Valvoline Durablend, which is a syn-blend, and it stated clearly that is met GM Dexos 1 criteria. I can post a pic, if desired, but after catching it on sale, and using my Advance Auto coupon, i paid less that $4.00 qt. For the life of me, I can;t understand why someone would pay $8.00 - $10.00 for a qt of oil. I've used conventional oil in all my cars for years, and never had an engine problem- never!, and my S-10 has 300,000 miles on it. I undestand viscosity tests, and temperature effects, but you'll never convince me a $5.00 - $6.00 synthetic qt. isn't sufficient enough. - Dan

·
Registered
217 Posts
No, German Castrol is a 0w-30 European Formula oil. Much better results than your typical oil, and at a reasonable price. This oil would be great to use in the Cruze, it just doesn't carry the Dexos logo. Autozone, I believe, is the only place to get it in the USA besides maybe online.

doesn't the cruze take 5w-30? not an expert, just saying.
Ya, so? The recommended weight isn't the only weight that works, and sometimes not even the best. The 0w-30 would probably even be better, as it would help with cold flow. There has been a ton of research and uoa's done with this stuff, and it's the real deal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man 98, that dealership sees people coming, but if it was me they'd see me going.
$ 39.95, like doingitwrong, stated seems fair and reasonable, but $89 should be a felony theft!!! IMO - Dan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ya, so? The recommended weight isn't the only weight that works, and sometimes not even the best. The 0w-30 would probably even be better, as it would help with cold flow. There has been a ton of research and uoa's done with this stuff, and it's the real deal.
Castrol Edge 0W-30 is actually thicker at start up then any dexos1 5W-30 on the market. The Castrol 0W-30 is an ACEA A3 oil. It has a HT/HS of 3.5 or higher.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just looked it up. You are half right, from what I can tell. It has a new name, the European stuff still has the old formula, which is not equal to the standard Edge 0w-30.

Either way, the GC had better cold flow properties than your standard 5-30 oil (even Dexos, as that is just a useless label from GM). This has been covered over at bitog, many times.

Why would it not work well in the 1.4? GC has been used in just about everything on that forum.

Just found this.

9. Why is Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 formula not changing right away?
The 0W-30 is a global European formula. The volume is much higher in other
markets than it is in the US and those markets require the specifications of
the current formula. Like 5W-40, the packaging on 0W-30 will remain
SYNTEC until we receive OEM approvals on the new name.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts