Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fire Recall 1.4 Mil GM Cars & Trucks

I can't post text or links so hopefully the picture posting is working, not doing too well with that lately!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
These cars have had issues with this since the early 2000's. I owned a 2003 Grand Prix that was recalled for this back in 2008(ish) but never had any issues myself. The repair during that recall was to replace the front valve cover gasket and remove a spark plug wire loom that was attached to the valve cover. Not really big news IMO. A lot of these cars are probably already off the roads.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but its not like the CRUZE doesn't have a propensity for leaking dangerous flammable liquids at one of many known locations?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
ahh...​again ....................

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
How far back to you want to go? How about 1908 with a Buick overhead valve engine that doesn't even have a valve cover. You had to oil the lifters yourself, and could drip on that hot exhaust manifold starting a fire.

Wasn't nearly as bad with an inline engine when they were using a valve cover if the head had a deep dish, oil was always flowing up to those valves. But far more pronounce with a 45 degree V-8 where oil would drip to the outside and pour on that red hot exhaust manifold. Just a cheap stamped steel valve cover using a cork gasket.

You could not tighten those valve cover bolts very much, would dent that cheap steel and compress that cork getting leaks like crazy. We used tons of Permatex on the gasket after pounding those dents flat, and Loctite on the screws so they wouldn't work loose.

49 Olds with a Rocket 88 was really bad, been putting up with this problem for years, 1982 454 CID was the last one still using these cheap stamped steel valve covers with cork gaskets. How come no recalls on these? I was really surprise with my first Honda using a cast aluminum valve cover with a good neoprene seal.

With the 454 found Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets made of a different material, that was dripping oil like crazy and those exhaust manifold really got red hot in this thing in a motorhome. No fires so far, but that burning oil was very annoying.

That had spacers embedded in the gasket, so finally you could tighten those screws, but had to flatten those dents first, and still coated it with Permatex, never had an engine fires, but that burning engine oil was extremely annoying, should get a refund for this work and cost.

They are still selling cork.

1992 DeVille was not bad, finally using cast aluminum valve covers and also had a cast iron intake manifold. What idiot decided to us plastic for a V-6? Didn't he do any calculations on the huge differences in the co-efficient of expansion? Would get cracks, also carry coolant that could pour into the combustion chamber seizing the engine, anything to save a couple of bucks. I stay far away from these.

Cruze is using plastic, but on least a flat surface, not in between two aluminum heads. Still don't know why they put the oil filter on the exhaust side, that wasn't very smart.

Don't these guys know how to think anymore? Save a few cents, then pay a huge fortune in recalls. Guess we didn't have recalls back then.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Even with these model cars having multiple recalls for the same issue, I would have no qualms at all buying one of these used 3800 powered cars. Though I did love the 3800 and its reliability in all the cars I've owned with it, I wouldn't want to take the MPG hit compared to the 1.4T.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I find this recall rather surprising given the age of the "newest" car in the recall. Even the newest car in the recall is outside the required Federal recall window of 10 years.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Every V6 my family has owned (Ford 3.0, Jeep 3.7, Toyota 3.0/3.3) has had leaky valve cover gaskets at some point in its life leaking out on the exhaust. Seems like just normal maintenance to me. But hey, free repairs for people that still own these things?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
don't these guys know how to think anymore? Save a few cents, then pay a huge fortune in recalls. Guess we didn't have recalls back then.
because we now design everything on computers and allow bean counters to set perimeters for design

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm pretty sure the cruze already went through a similar recall for this; not for the motor oil but for the trans oil. I remember going into the dealership a year back and they had told me that they had fixed a recall for the car (2012 Eco). The recall was for a potential pooling of trans oil. Their "solution" for this was to cut a HUGE hole in my undercarriage aero where the fluid would potentially come out. I was so pissed when I saw what they did

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm pretty sure the cruze already went through a similar recall for this; not for the motor oil but for the trans oil. I remember going into the dealership a year back and they had told me that they had fixed a recall for the car (2012 Eco). The recall was for a potential pooling of trans oil. Their "solution" for this was to cut a HUGE hole in my undercarriage aero where the fluid would potentially come out. I was so pissed when I saw what they did
That was the infamous spilled engine oil fire recall - cut away the engine shield because of a small number of sloppy oil changes.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Maybe this is a way to get people back into the dealers. Having one of these vehicles it seems there due for an upgrade anyways. Bet the dealers are hoping on a few sales from this too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did one of those recalls where you have to remove the spark plug wire loom. Also did more then a handful of the axle recalls on Cruzes. Use to remember to tell the axles apart.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I bought a 2004 Grand Prix a couple of years ago because the prices had fallen off a cliff. Its a secondary "beater"/family car/grocery getter. For $4k, I picked up a clean, close to mint (as close as a DD gets) GT2 with a bunch of options including heated leather, monsoon radio, and a thick binder of maintenance records including the original window sticker and brochure. It was from the original owner and had been garaged its whole life.

Fortunately, I replaced the valve cover gaskets and grommets, as well as a bunch of other preventative maintenance, when I did my LIM/UIM gaskets earlier this year. So I doubt I have much to worry about with this recall, and I'd rather not give the dealership a chance to mess up something I've already done right the first time.

As others have said, the only thing keeping the 3800 cars from running forever is the 4T65E. Otherwise, they are fantastic cars and hold up well when taken care of. It definitely doesn't feel like a nearly 12 year old car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts