Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ever-evolving automotive industry and changing consumer tastes have claimed their latest victim: the Buick Verano. At a time when gas prices remain cheap and America's love affair with SUVs has reignited, General Motors (NYSE: GM) has decided to phase out the Verano compact sedan in the U.S. market. It was a short life for the Verano, which was redesigned for China last year and posted its first full year of sales during 2012. So, what happened? No traction The idea behind the Buick Verano was simple: bring consumers to the brand. The compact sedan was intended to be a conquest vehicle, one that would sell in higher volumes at lower prices. However, that role seemed to be filled by Buick's ...Read more

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sounds more like the end of four door sedans, that new word, "crossover" is more like what they use to call a station wagon. Station wagons were extremely popular in the 50's when people started moving out of cities into suburbia. Needed a bit more space to carry kids and groceries.

Would still jump for an Italian Ford Cmax, 50 mpg plus and the ability to carry seven passengers, wish they made a Cruze like that here. And those rear seats all folded down, so you can carry something. Something about buying a practical vehicle, that serves all when you have a gang, a pile of junk, or even driving alone while getting excellent fuel economy.

Sure can't do this in a Land Cruiser or a Suburban. Not only cost a huge fortune to buy and to drive, but also reverts back to ferrous oxide in a few short years.

Oil prices are a supply and demand market, nothing to do with drilling or transportation charges. Only way to bring the prices down is to decrease the demand.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I always liked the verano(though not its chrome ass brows). Problem with the verano? it missed the mark most economy cars give.... Good MPG. How can you compete in this class and only get 32MPG hwy??? I was interested in the vearno in 2012, then GM removed the flex fuel system from the car for every model year since.

Side note: How the heck does the verano only get 32MPG highway with the 2.4L/6 speed when the Equinox/Terrain with the same engine/trans also gets 32MPG highway? Not sure myself, only wonder how the Chevy Captiva 2.4L/6speed only manages 28mpg hwy... seems GM might not be being honest with the Terrain/Equinox MPG. Having driven thousands of miles in both terrain and equinox I would say 28mpg highway seems more accurate.

·
10,712 Posts
I always liked the verano(though not its chrome ass brows). Problem with the verano? it missed the mark most economy cars give.... Good MPG. How can you compete in this class and only get 32MPG hwy??? I was interested in the vearno in 2012, then GM removed the flex fuel system from the car for every model year since.

Side note: How the heck does the verano only get 32MPG highway with the 2.4L/6 speed when the Equinox/Terrain with the same engine/trans also gets 32MPG highway? Not sure myself, only wonder how the Chevy Captiva 2.4L/6speed only manages 28mpg hwy... seems GM might not be being honest with the Terrain/Equinox MPG. Having driven thousands of miles in both terrain and equinox I would say 28mpg highway seems more accurate.
LOL they drove slow at 3am in the middle of Nevada in October.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,307 Posts
Hey Eddy you can get scrap Veranos now !

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The question is, how long will gas prices stay low? Things could change real fast. All it takes is for the Saudis to change their tune.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
My neighbor in my apartment complex just purchased a White Diamond Tricoat colored Verano and it's sweet! I'm pretty sure it's a used one, but still. I've always liked the looks of the Verano, especially when seeing them in motion! The only thing I didn't really dig all that much about the Verano was its interior. The use of wood grain in the Verano just screamed "old people" to me and I didn't like that the seat bottoms' stitching was vertical instead of horizontal. I don't know why, but that's a pet peeve of mine in cars.

The Regal GS is sweet though, but didn't if make a list for being the top traded in car or something like that?

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
I liked the idea of Verano. But oddly I could never fit into it wearing a parka. No problems doing the same in the Cruze.

BTW Verano production is scheduled to end in October.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,307 Posts
Hey Turtle ,, you peeps getting any sunshine up there in canuckland these days ? That dang fire a still raging ?

All we get down here is Hoopla this and Rain for that last 2 dang Months ...
Sunshine on me shoulders makes me happy . Sunshine on me shoulders makes me fine ...

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Hey Turtle ,, you peeps getting any sunshine up there in canuckland these days ? That dang fire a still raging ?

All we get down here is Hoopla this and Rain for that last 2 dang Months ...
Sunshine on me shoulders makes me happy . Sunshine on me shoulders makes me fine ...
Believe it or not, but we got snow in the forecast for tomorrow. And I already removed my snow tires.

Reactions: Merc6 and brian v

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, what's this bit about picking on old people that love the natural grain of fine woods. Used the finest black walnut I could fine when building my grandfather clock.

But still won't find this in the Verano, just some painted on crap, if you want real wood, will have to buy a Rolls.

We could have purchased a fully loaded Impala, sunroof and all for the same price as we paid for the Cruze, because GM was offering a $7,000.00 rebate. But gas was $4.50 a gallon with talk about six bucks a gallon, and my really weird wife detests an automatic transmission. But I am the same way myself, don't like being replaced by a 89 cent microcontroller.

But apparently we are in a very small minority with all those huge SUV's and pickup trucks running around here. Verano is a Cruze with just a lot more problems in it. Ha, so are the Cadillacs.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,194 Posts
I thought the 'Nox twins were 29?

Edit: nvmd, that's AWD.

Well, at least that's an excuse for making a crossover that can't get out of its own way.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Well, at least that's an excuse for making a crossover that can't get out of its own way.
I've been unfortunate that I've only ever driven the 2.4L version of the Equinox/terrain. Think it would be a much nicer car with the 3.6L V6. When you drove the Equinox the other day, did you notice how loose the torque converter was? put the car in gear and give it some gas, **** thing jumps to 2000RPM just to get moving.

On the interstate at 78mph the 2.4L still needs to downshift on every hill to maintain speed, slow going 45mph roads even a slight 50ft hill will need a downshift to maintain your speed. I have a feeling these will be getting the new Malibu 1.5T when GM updates the model. 4 cylinder needs a turbo(low end torque) in something that large, period. Interestingly at 78mph managed 22-24mpg highway over 6000 miles in a Terrain, Silverado 4x4 5.3L v8(ecotec3) at the same speed managed 20-22mpg!!! After realizing this no way I would buy a Nox over a Silverado!!! For that matter the silverado at that speed isn't much worse than my cruze auto, 28-31MPG.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Verano is a Cruze with just a lot more problems in it. Ha, so are the Cadillacs.
Cadillac I will agree with you since it uses bleeding edge tech and low volume sales, however GM only puts tested engines and tech in the Buicks and they are GM's most reliable models. The 2.4L sucks compared to the 1.4T in the cruze, but it is a more reliable engine with less to go wrong with it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
For years, the Buick was GM's premier vehicle, they started off with a 1903 Buick, and for reliability, was even far superior to the Cadillac, even had better rust protection than the Caddie's. Most recently, Buick's 3.8 L engine was far more reliable than that crazy Caddy Northstar engine.

Tend to look at the sticker price of a vehicle, and attempt to look at the overall cost per mile. That 04 Cavalier was a darn good car, over the years, only cost us little of a nickle a mile to get our money back from it. In 2012, looking at Buick's, Caddie's, and Chevy's, Cruze was still the winner, and basically a bottom of the vehicle type of vehicle.

Years ago, was far cheaper to buy a Caddy or a Buick, were good for 200K miles, this sure changed. 92 DeVille was good for the little extra in price as was the 93, but the 94's sure went down hill and were disasters for the owners.

Never thought I would be saying this, Chevy is now the top of the line for overall reliability and the cost to own it per mile.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,194 Posts
I've been unfortunate that I've only ever driven the 2.4L version of the Equinox/terrain. Think it would be a much nicer car with the 3.6L V6. When you drove the Equinox the other day, did you notice how loose the torque converter was? put the car in gear and give it some gas, **** thing jumps to 2000RPM just to get moving.

All I noticed is that to keep up with traffic from a stoplight, the darn thing had to be stepped on hard and often shifted at 3500. Felt strained.

Merging...you've pretty much got to lay into it hard.

I have a feeling these will be getting the new Malibu 1.5T when GM updates the model. 4 cylinder needs a turbo(low end torque) in something that large, period.
Some actually do alright - the Honda CR-V and Mazda CX-5 come to mind. The Mazda has a lot of low-end, which helps. The RAV4 feels like there isn't enough engine for it, either (and the Ford 2.5 is terrible).

·
Super Moderator
5,126 Posts
I'm still to get my wife's Accord out with the 2.4L. The little I got to drive it, seemed powerful enough. I laid into it when test driving which had the sales lady "wondering about this guy", I mentioned the spedo goes to 160, I need to find out that it can do that since I have little problem with living "life in triple digits" It got and went with little problem. Had it up to 65 in no time at all. Now just waiting on some bodywork to be done and making the car "safe again with an air bag" waiting for insurance is like watching a pot boil. Will she ever let me drive it again? It will be OK if I am not in a parking lot with those dangerous poles at night!! LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts