Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM issues stop-sale, asks owners to stop driving nearly 4,800 Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC trucks & SUVs

General Motors is recalling nearly 4,800 late-model Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC trucks and SUVs to repair a problem with their suspensions, which could increase the risk of accidents. In fact, the problem is so severe that GM has advised owners not to drive their vehicles until they've been repaired.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gm-asks-owners-stop-driving-152600874.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
While yes, this is an issue that needs addressed...GM has to say not to drive the vehicle until repairs are made just for liability purposes.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
"Parts are not currently available. Owners will be mailed an interim notification in early May 2016 and will be mailed a second notice when remedy parts are available. Until the repairs have been made, owners are advised not to drive their vehicles."

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I wonder what they are required to do if part's aren't avalible, do they give everyone rentals at their expense for a recall like this that's safety critical?

I guess it's <5000 cars, but still, how's someone with one car to deal with that?

Reactions: spaycace and obermd

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I wonder what they are required to do if part's aren't avalible, do they give everyone rentals at their expense for a recall like this that's safety critical?

I guess it's <5000 cars, but still, how's someone with one car to deal with that?
The one article states that there are only 760 vehicles in customer's hands and the rest are on dealer lots or in the regional staging yards. So, that's not many rentals to deal with. If I had one, I'd be on the phone to my dealership first thing in the morning looking for support. If there's a stop sale order in force, the dealers have to know about it. They may have to tow your vehicle to the dealership, but they should have a replacement policy defined. This is a NHTSA action, so an owner shouldn't have to haggle. Once good parts are available, dealer service mechanics and field service technicians can start fixing the affected machines.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Good question. Since parts are not available, they're not telling anyone to bring them in. Would they have to supply rentals in that case?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that there aren't any replacement parts available to repair vehicles already in owner's hands. It either means the trucks are selling so fast that they can't keep up with demand, or they're creating these parts on the fly (not likely at all) as each vehicle is built and pushing them out the door. Either that, or GM knew about the issue and stopped the supplier in order to fix the problem at the source before they put out any further possibly dangerous vehicles. GM obviously hasn't stopped production on these vehicles, so how about they stop the assembly line for a day or two to use those parts to fix the vehicles that have already hit the streets for sure, and the others that are out, but not yet sold? Not like they'll run too low on supply if there's nearly 4,000 of said impacted vehicles still waiting to hit owner's hands. Who knows ... I'm sure there's some bean-counter behind the reasoning as to why no replacement parts are available. Maybe GM should out-source the need to an aftermarket performance parts supplier and upgrade those people's parts for their troubles. I think they should pay to fix the front control arms on my G8 since they did a "re-design" for the chevy SS due to a known issue with the parts. Oh well ... I'm almost always confused when it comes to stuff like this that seems like it should be a quick and simple 1-day repair.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that there aren't any replacement parts available to repair vehicles already in owner's hands.
Really? There would be 760 control arms already in parts for a vehicle that just started selling? They're not really a wearout part - more like a accident repair part. No way would the parts department have that many.

It either means the trucks are selling so fast that they can't keep up with demand, or they're creating these parts on the fly (not likely at all) as each vehicle is built and pushing them out the door.
Sounds like Just-in-time manufacturing to me.

so how about they stop the assembly line for a day or two to use those parts to fix the vehicles that have already hit the streets for sure, and the others that are out, but not yet sold?
There's a nasty ripple effect to that. It's also assuming that the control arms currently at the assembly plant are OK. I'm not so sure that's true.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Really? There would be 760 control arms already in parts for a vehicle that just started selling? They're not really a wearout part - more like a accident repair part. No way would the parts department have that many.

There's a nasty ripple effect to that. It's also assuming that the control arms currently at the assembly plant are OK. I'm not so sure that's true.
The 2016's were being built in August or September of 2015, so they have been selling for awhile now. I don't expect local dealers to have that many parts on hand yet, but certainly there are a "stock-piled" amount at the assembly line since they're still building the vehicles affected, so there's got to be parts somewhere. If not, then production SHOULD be stopped until they remedy the situation. I get the whole ripple effect thing too ... but isn't 2 days worth of shutdown more valuable than having to pay for people to have a rental car until a fix is enacted? Because if I have a truck, I don't want them putting me into some econobox sedan, so we're talking a lot more than 25 or 30 bucks a day, and if they don't want you to drive it until a fix is completed, that could be quite a few days worth of rentals. Even a conservative $45/day rental x 14 days x 760 vehicles = slightly under $500k. Granted, I don't know the timing of a fix nor costs of rentals, but I have a feeling my rental figure is below what an actual similar vehicle would cost to rent. Either way, GM need to figure out something quickly, no matter what ends up happening.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Either way, GM need to figure out something quickly, no matter what ends up happening.
Regardless of what they figure out, I'm sure it's going to take time to get good parts in quantity. The only way I see doing that is re-welding the parts they have. To gear up someone to build new ones - ugh. And I'm not sure about the capacity of the existing supplier to fix the problem, resume production, catch up with the backlog.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
CEO's another term for a dictator, some say in house to cut cost, others say, we have to go outside to save on bucks. One huge deterrent was in the richest country in the world, are super high cost on health insurance.

First it was making Delco and Delphi separate divisions, but they were sold to private investors that took a beating, then Canada, then Mexico, now China, but China is getting greedy, and huge transportation costs so going back to Mexico.

Use to be just one vendor for components, lowest bidder, now can be several hundred, also use to be incoming quality inspection, that was a place that had to go to increase profits.

So buying a car today is like buying a lottery ticket, are you feeling lucky?

Think we have idiots running our country, well with corporations, more about greed, answer strictly to the stockholders. How about being told at a meeting to do your duty at home, You are stealing toilet paper and time from the stockholders.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
That's why I suggested that GM let the current owners get aftermarket parts & have GM pay for them, or reimburse the current owner's out of pocket expenses.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The reason for my original comment on who is making these "out of spec." control arms. My experience in the auto supply business is that they discovered these control arms are suddenly being manufactured incorrectly and GM then has to have their engineering determine what is wrong. Then they go to the supplier and force them to correct the issue. If it's an out of country source, that takes time.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bet this is just one supplier. I bet their are multiple suppliers for his par, because if there was just one they would have to stop production. I read that there was a change made but the ones coming from this supplier weren't being made correctly.

I also read that they will tow it to the dealership for free.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is obviously more important for GM to churn out vehicles, regardless if they are safe, than to fix defective garbage they already got their money for. GM has made major improvements over they years but customer service and satisfaction are not on that list.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
... but certainly there are a "stock-piled" amount at the assembly line since they're still building the vehicles affected, so there's got to be parts somewhere. ...
If they are using Lean manufacturing principles, which is pretty likely, then no they would not have stock-piles of parts. Stock-piling adds inventory, which requires space, and considerable cost is added with almost no value.

It is obviously more important for GM to churn out vehicles, regardless if they are safe, than to fix defective garbage they already got their money for. GM has made major improvements over they years but customer service and satisfaction are not on that list.
Don't you have anything better to do than troll?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Dyver is in Canada where customer service is an oxymoron. Thus his post.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Dyver is in Canada where customer service is an oxymoron. Thus his post.
I was also going off his history of trolling, not just that post.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
A number of Cruze's have been recalled, had half axles made from left over jelly beans. GM use to have incoming quality inspection, about time they wake up and restore it. After the fact is costing them big bucks we will end up paying for it.

Look at all the heater cores and water pumps they had to replace, under warranty. Its cheaper to do it right the first time. But we use to say, never given enough time to do the job the first time, but plenty of time to do it right the second. Especially when the liability suits started to pile in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts