Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been watching my gas mileage. We have a 15.6 gallon gas tank. I use "regular" gas. I can can around 27 miles to the gallon. I am pretty happy with that. I know that was only 173 total miles but ive done that on 300 something miles before as well i just dont have the picture. Thats probably 65-70% highway. But that is with me trying to get great mileage. For instance driving perfectly watching MPG and no sitting in the car with the AC on.
IMAG0257.jpg
But this is what i really get for my lifestyle and driving habits. B/c i eat breakfast almost every morning in my car mcdonalds/dunkin donuts or whatever i sit in my car with the AC on and car running. Waste gas but im in florida. Its hot gotta stay comfortable. Also in my line of work i sit in my car as well inbetween jobs sometimes to cool off for 5 or 10 minutes. So i spend a considerable amount of time sitting in the AC weather its breakfast or inbetween jobs. It sucks but i have to do it! So with that said this is what im getting realistically. about 25MPG So i waste 2 miles per gallon from sitting in the car while running.
IMAG0297.jpg

Im going to run a couple of tests and will report back with pictures and info

TEST 1- With "Regular" I will keep track manually. Will do a full tank test to see exactly what i get for a full tank and see if the reading on the odometer is correct compared to manual calculations. I will suffer and not sit in my car at all with the car running. No AC breaks and breakfast at home or with car off.
TEST 2- With "Premium" I will keep track manually. Will do a full tank test to see exactly what i get for a full tank and see if the reading on the odometer is correct. I will suffer and not sit in my car at all with the car running. No AC breaks and breakfast at home or with car off.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
One easy way to get better fuel economy is to turn your car off, get out, lock it, and eat breakfast inside McDonalds. You get the benefit of using someone else's A/C.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
One easy way to get better fuel economy is to turn your car off, get out, lock it, and eat breakfast inside McDonalds. You get the benefit of using someone else's A/C.
I do not ever use drive thru's, or idle my car except at stoplights. If I did I would be averaging 27mpg like the OP. I know this because first year of ownership the few times I did idle my car with AC on I saw a significant drop in my MPG.

I much prefer my 37MPG summer average with my automatic.

Don't forget the DIC is optimistic, if its reading 27mpg your probably getting a pump calculated real world MPG 2-4MPG lower than that. Example, my DIC is typically reading 41mpg but at the pump that's only a real world 36-37mpg. Also since you idle burn so much fuel you will not see much difference if any running premium. Only time premium helps is with the engine under load, at idle fuel is burned at the same rate..... ZERO MPG since your not moving and burning fuel.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Result are in!

IMAG0472.jpg IMAG0474.jpg

These were taken when the fuel light came on. So 359 + 46= 405 miles on a full tank according the the dash. And 28.1 miles a gallon. Lasted me 9 days. I actually still went through drive throughs but turned car off while i ate. Even did a bank drive through as well. Probably could of hit 29 or 30 if i didnt but what can you do when you dont have a shirt on! Still have to add up manually to see how accurate the dash is...

13488 miles start tank
13895 miles end tank
Actual manual mileage: 407
(when i filled tank display estimated i would get 391 miles to the tank) Beat it!

Disappointed though.......i just did the Math. 407 divided by 15.5 gallon tank= 26.2MPG

So the display will tell you your getting 2 more MPG'S than your actually getting. Was hoping for better mileage than that. And i really tried to drive properly watching the MPG gauge. Was my highest MPG yet the 28.1 which is actually 26.2 SMH....

THOUGHTS? Opinions?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ouch. Man when I was getting lower 40's I thought something was wrong with my car... turns out the tires were a bit low from the cold snap we had. Inflating them back to 35 psi brought the mpg back up to mid 40's.

FYI my DIC overestimates mpg by about 2

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2012 cruze 1.4t. I commute about 120 miles a day and my average is between 35-42. I usually get 530 miles a tank with about 1/8 or a little more left. I do have 42000 miles on it but have never experienced anything lower than 32mpg average including city driving.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Ouch. Man when I was getting lower 40's I thought something was wrong with my car... turns out the tires were a bit low from the cold snap we had. Inflating them back to 35 psi brought the mpg back up to mid 40's.

FYI my DIC overestimates mpg by about 2
Your mpgs are remarkable, what's your normal driving route like?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your mpgs are remarkable, what's your normal driving route like?
This summer it was a 70 mile round trip to work on a two lane road, 55 mph posted, I drove around 63 mph. Sometimes using the cruise, mostly not. The drive is a bit hilly in spots going over and along the Root River (trout stream carved into limestone bluffs). Goes through two small towns where you have to slow to 30 and 40 mph respectively. Total of three stop signs and three stop lights along route.

I tend to let the car lose speed uphill and bring speed back going downhill - often picking up additional momentum sometimes as high as 70 mph to help me coast up the next hill. A bit of hypermiling I suppose. Sucks when you get grandpa going the speed limit riding brakes down a steep incline.

Not much else - I get into 6th gear around 55 mph, sometimes skipping 5th. Sometimes I use non-oxy 91 gas, mostly 89 E10 though (once with 87 E10, car didn't like that, doesn't much like 89 either).

I once drove the dealers 2013 Cruze 1.4T LT1 Auto and was getting around 36-38 mpg on the same trip so I guess the trick is to not buy one with an automatic transmission

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 cruze 1.4t. I commute about 120 miles a day and my average is between 35-42. I usually get 530 miles a tank with about 1/8 or a little more left. I do have 42000 miles on it but have never experienced anything lower than 32mpg average including city driving.
Automatic or manual? Are you deisel lol thats 125 miles more than me on a tank. How is that possible.? Do you have a "perfect route" as well?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This summer it was a 70 mile round trip to work on a two lane road, 55 mph posted, I drove around 63 mph. Sometimes using the cruise, mostly not. The drive is a bit hilly in spots going over and along the Root River (trout stream carved into limestone bluffs). Goes through two small towns where you have to slow to 30 and 40 mph respectively. Total of three stop signs and three stop lights along route.

I tend to let the car lose speed uphill and bring speed back going downhill - often picking up additional momentum sometimes as high as 70 mph to help me coast up the next hill. A bit of hypermiling I suppose. Sucks when you get grandpa going the speed limit riding brakes down a steep incline.

Not much else - I get into 6th gear around 55 mph, sometimes skipping 5th. Sometimes I use non-oxy 91 gas, mostly 89 E10 though (once with 87 E10, car didn't like that, doesn't much like 89 either).

I once drove the dealers 2013 Cruze 1.4T LT1 Auto and was getting around 36-38 mpg on the same trip so I guess the trick is to not buy one with an automatic transmission
Dam i was kinda happy with the 28 lol until i see your guys comments. I see your manual tranny and have a very "perfect route" for gas mileage. Driving 63mph and below with only 3 stop signs and stop lights lol. I would get mileage like that too. So i guess i shouldnt feel too bad? When im driving 50mph i can get like 50mpg on the dash. But my drive everyday is about 70 percent highway at 70mph speed limit. I would cruze around 68-72 watching the MPG on the dash to keep it as high as i could usually bouncing around from 33-39-40 area. But i also probably run through about 10 stop signs and 8 stop light estimating.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ew. If I get anything in the 20s it means I've been driving like a maniac.
Ew yourself! JK lol Man i was driving like a grandma too. Really watching the dash trying to keep the MPG as high as possible. What do you average and what is your daily commute like? ANything like mine? I do see you have a manual as well im sure that helps?? You think i should be getting more? Also like i said if i didnt hit those drive through almost every morning i might have hit 30 maybe..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,320 Posts
Ew yourself! JK lol Man i was driving like a grandma too. Really watching the dash trying to keep the MPG as high as possible. What do you average and what is your daily commute like? ANything like mine? I do see you have a manual as well im sure that helps?? You think i should be getting more? Also like i said if i didnt hit those drive through almost every morning i might have hit 30 maybe..
I don't commute every day, but when I do drive, it goes something like this:

Yeah, between my car and a rental automatic, I was able to get AT LEAST 5 MPG more from the manual in similar driving. More on the highway.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,320 Posts
you drive through traffic like that and get above 30 a gallon? lol im amazed lol
Keeping the RPMs under 2K when possible and creeping along will do the trick. This car has a surprisingly torquey low end.

If I have to accelerate to 45 at the pace of traffic, only to stop for another light 500 feet down the road, and do that for the whole drive, it does dip just a bit under 30 (27-28 or so). Or lots of short trip driving to run errands, etc where the engine doesn't have time to warm up - it runs very rich on a cold engine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
(Just updated with actual mileage compared to display)
Result are in!

View attachment 115714 View attachment 115722

These were taken when the fuel light came on. So 359 + 46= 405 miles on a full tank according the the dash. And 28.1 miles a gallon. Lasted me 9 days. I actually still went through drive throughs but turned car off while i ate. Even did a bank drive through as well. Probably could of hit 29 or 30 if i didnt but what can you do when you dont have a shirt on! Still have to add up manually to see how accurate the dash is...

*UPDATE
13488 miles start tank
13895 miles end tank
(when i filled tank display estimated i would get 391 miles to the tank) Beat it!

Disappointed though.......i just did the Math. 407 divided by 15.5 gallon tank= 26.2MPG

So the display will tell you your getting 2 more MPG'S than your actually getting. Was hoping for better mileage than that. And i really tried to drive properly watching the MPG gauge. Was my highest MPG yet the 28.1 which is actually 26.2 SMH....

THOUGHTS? Opinions?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm an automatic. The route is pretty straight but has some hills and speed limit changes. Also quite a few traffic lights which are a pain lol. But my driving habits aren't the best by far lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find the onboard computer computations of miles per gallon to be right on. My 2013 1.4L engine dos not do very well on gas mileage. Chevy missed the boat on MPG with the Cruze. In top gear, engine is turning too fast. They know it. That's why the diesel came out. And going lite weight in 2016 will help too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Result are in!

View attachment 115714 View attachment 115722

13488 miles start tank
13895 miles end tank

THOUGHTS? Opinions?

Did you live in a high traffic area? How many miles are you putting on the car that are highway vs in town?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts