Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sure was nice to see 1.99/gallon this morning. Only problem that is for 87 octane. Ergo won't see my car! 89 or above for my Eco. I tried 89 this last tank and seems to be running good right now with 89 octane. I am sure that will change and I will be back to the over priced 93 around Cincinnati.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
87 E10 was $1.87/gal. last night in the suburb where we are moving to. Current neighborhood in town is $1.96/gal. this morning. Bet it's back above $2.30/gal by Thanksgiving. I no longer get excited about gas prices. I know I'm getting fleeced regardless of the price at the pump.

·
Registered
137 Posts
1.89 for the discounts and a 1.99 to 2.09 for the majors here. I have never felt the need for mid grade or premium with our 1.4 but I have noticed it runs a bit better after some fuel injection cleaner every now and then. Wasn't this car intended to run on regular unleaded?

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
Pat,

Many of our members have reported being able to run 89 octane, especially in cooler weather. If it works you can save yourself some money by sticking with 89.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
1.89 for the discounts and a 1.99 to 2.09 for the majors here. I have never felt the need for mid grade or premium with our 1.4 but I have noticed it runs a bit better after some fuel injection cleaner every now and then. Wasn't this car intended to run on regular unleaded?
I have read that the 1.4L turbo motor was designed to run on 91 E10. Of course, all of the competition runs on 87 E10, so GM tweaked the firmware to run on 87 E10 and experience has shown that when the ambient temperature gets to 90 degrees F and above, the engine needs 90 E10 or above to run properly.

The r18a motor in the current Civic was also designed to run on 91 E10, but it seems oblivious to the octane rating it burns, regardless of temperature outside. The OM says to run 87 E10 in it. Of course the r18a is NA, not turbo. I'm waiting to see how the 1.5L turbo replacement engine works in the 2016 Civic.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can hardly remember when gas was less than two bucks a gallon, maybe was like ten years ago. But sure can remember when gas was 20 cents a gallon, and this was for real gas. Paying $2.99 9/10ths a gallon now for ethanol free 91 octane and this isn't for real gas, has a lot of air in it.

Maybe living in the wrong state, definitely at the wrong time. But use to live at the right time.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Cheapest I ever remember was .32/gallon back in the late 60s to very early 70s.
Then was it '73 when the oil embargo hit and they almost rationed gas. Then the price kept creeping up over the next 30 years.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So gas has come down steadily ever since ISIS took over these oil fields and started flooding the market with oil right? So now the Us is bombing their oil fields, will gas go back up like crazy?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
Cheapest I ever remember was .32/gallon back in the late 60s to very early 70s.
Then was it '73 when the oil embargo hit and they almost rationed gas. Then the price kept creeping up over the next 30 years.
Yer that freakin old Dawg ? Dang Darn Ding .. sure has been a fun ride .

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
So gas has come down steadily ever since ISIS took over these oil fields and started flooding the market with oil right? So now the Us is bombing their oil fields, will gas go back up like crazy?
ISIS doesn't control that much oil - just enough to fund their war against the rest of the Arab world with hopes that the US will send in ground troops (Engaging and being defeated by US ground troops is their end game as they believe it will bring them that much closer to salvation.).

The real reason oil prices have plummeted is a concerted effort by Saudi Arabia to shut down Iranian, Russian, and US oil fields, all of which are more costly to operate.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The gas price drop has nothing to do with ISIS, its due to winter blend cost reduction. Since mid-september when we normally start to see a price drop oil company's have went out of their way to find reasons to keep the price up. 20-30 cents a gallon over an extra 2 months multiplied by the entire USA really adds up!

The reason gas prices this year have been at 10 year lows is because of increased domestic production(fracking) and OPEC not lowering their production in an attempt to manipulate the market. Its speculated their plan is to force the price low enough to drive our more expensive to produce fracking oil off the market.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
And here I was thinking that the trillionaires were getting heavily taxed on those earnings from driving up the price of a barrel of OIL .. might be time to buy again .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Price of crude drops over by 60%, at the pump, like 17%. But if the price of crude increases by 17%, price of gas will increase by 60%.

Yeah, people were screaming back during that energy crisis when the price of gas shot up from around 30 cents a gallon to 75%. Oil companies won that one where the price of gas was no longer regulated by the government. LP gas was sure not regulated, went from 9 cents a gallon to around $1.56 in less than a year. So did heating fuel oil.

Don't hear to many people complaining today, was a couple of years ago it went up to $4.50 per gallon.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Don't hear to many people complaining today, was a couple of years ago it went up to $4.50 per gallon.
Exactly! I really haven't cared about the price I pay this year at all, as my average is only $2.81 a gallon for premium on every fill. My average price using a mix of midgrade and premium over the last 3 years... $3.52, $3.75 and $3.82. So far this year I have saved about $600 in fuel costs.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I only use one tank a month, and with 90 cents off a gallon waiting for me at Safeway this month I am looking at about a buck a gallon when I fill up after Thanksgiving. Of course I had to buy a $250 Subway Card with 4 x points to reach my discount. I live in a town with no food but we have a new 24 hour Subway. I always hated Subway but had to succumb to their Subs. Long live Jarrad!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another reason gas is still cheap is because the Saudi's didn't shut down all the U.S. drillers like they thought they would. They took many out but many still pumping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Much as I would love to run out and get a new SS (with a huge loan) and romp around with this cheap gas, it would be wildly irresponsible. Kinda makes me sick that people I know who are financially irresponsible do the same thing with trucks and SUVs with a why not, gas is cheap now mindset.

My car has run just fine on 87 after I got the right spark plugs, and I do lots of stop and go city driving.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Prices for 87 here are anywhere from $1.98-$2.16
I filled up with 92 yesterday for $2.49, that's .50 more than 87 was at that station.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Much as I would love to run out and get a new SS (with a huge loan) and romp around with this cheap gas, it would be wildly irresponsible. Kinda makes me sick that people I know who are financially irresponsible do the same thing with trucks and SUVs with a why not, gas is cheap now mindset.

My car has run just fine on 87 after I got the right spark plugs, and I do lots of stop and go city driving.
I think you are painting folks that operate, what you interpret as, fuel inefficient vehicles, with a rather broad brush.
My personal example: one of my vehicles is a full size Chevy pickup.
It is used primarily for towing my enclosed car hauler and, when I'm going RC flying, a pickup bed full of rather fragile, but large (averaging 60" wingspan) aircraft.....and sometimes, just driven cause I like it.

My total annual mileage works out to approximately 2000 miles per year (1997 vehicle, 38k and some change over nineteen years of ownership...summer only driving).
My average mileage is around 13mpg.
So, on average, I burn 154 gallons per year.

How many gallons, over the course of a year, do you think your fuel efficient Cruze consumed? My fuel efficient Cruze, with a lifetime average of 33.4mpg, consumed approximately 273 gallons over the same time period.......so, using your mindset, everytime I operate the truck I'm irresponsible, even though it will consume close to only half of the fuel the Cruze goes through.

When talking about usage of gasoline, in this example, you can only apply your opinion of waste when you know the whole story......in this case, annual consumption.

More likely than not, the majority of forum members consumed more fuel than I over the course of a year but that doesn't mean they were wasteful/irresposible.

The media would have you believe that the 100lb. lady driving the Suburban to work uses that vehicle solely for that purpose when in fact that same vehicle may have hauled six cub scouts and their camping gear for a educational weekend.

Moral of the story, don't throw stones in glass houses.

Thanks for winding me up, heh heh......think I'll ride the 100mpg scooter to the shop today......then the world considers me a nutcase, but a resource responsible nutcase.

Rob

Whoops......I fell off track.......regular is running about 2.09/2.29 in N/E Illinois 11/16/15

1 - 20 of 45 Posts