Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly, I have a gas smell in the cabin after the car sits (it continues while driving). I can also smell gas in the trunk, but not outside of the car. I'm at a loss, as I do not smell anything under the hood (with the car running or off) and cannot seem to find any leaks anywhere.

Has anyone else encountered this and discovered where the leak was coming from? I really don't want to pay a dealership to "look around" for a few hours if I can at all avoid it.

It is a 2012, 1.4L Turbo

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
That's rather strange......any leakage, vapor or liquid, would cause the periodic tank vacuum self test to fail, resulting in a check engine light.

There have been incidents, all car brands, where a fuel injector seeps onto the manifold and the fuel evaporates off but you are indicating no underhood odor.

I think you will have to go to a dealer for a 'smoke test'......to test the integrity of the fuel supply system.....maybe a cracked vapor cannister for example.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have driven it for 2 weeks like this (thanks to the warm weather, I can keep the windows down some). I have been watching for a check engine light to show up, but nothing. I even plugged my code detector in just to double-check the engine light, but it didn't register anything.

My initial guess is that it is around the fuel injectors as well, but I can't find anything. It happened after an oil change, but I am fairly certain that was only coincidental. I cannot think of anything that would happen during an oil change to cause the problem.

Looks like I'm off to my least favorite place... the dealership.

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you have any luck at the dealer? My 2012 cruze 1.4 t has same thing today when my wife came home she said today the fuel smell over powered a new air freshener she had put in the car. Ours has got worst over the last month. And no one has touched our car since the last recall.

Lmk what you find out. I will check the canister tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were you able to find the source of the fuel smell? I have the same thing going on with my 2012 and dealer doesn't know what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the Fuel Injection Pressure Damper carefully. www.youtube.com/watch?V=wj1btgald-0
Someone else posted this video and I have the same issue...trouble is this part is nowhere to be found. Someone must have a replacement for it?

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,937 Posts
Check the Fuel Injection Pressure Damper carefully. www.youtube.com/watch?V=wj1btgald-0
Someone else posted this video and I have the same issue...trouble is this part is nowhere to be found. Someone must have a replacement for it?
Again, fix the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts