Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife took the son to Costco had him get out to pump fuel. 2 Gals in she looked in the mirror and freaked out when he had the red gasoline handle in the filler. Stopped him and had him finish filling the tank with diesel. She called before doing anything else. Had her get it pushed into a parking spot. Wasn't started but key switch was probably cycled a half dozen times between getting pushed away from the pump and on and off the wrecker to get it home.

Plan is to drain/siphon what I can and refill with fresh diesel. Depending how much I get out I might do it twice cycling the key a bunch of times to flush what I can through the lines. Maybe change the fuel filter if I can get one local. Also maybe add some stanadyne treatment.

Any thoughts.

2014 CTD 2.0

Fleece delete installed so not concerned about damaging the DPF.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I'd also suggest purging the HPFP and the fuel rail and the return lines to the tank and fuel cooler. Gas does not have very good lubricating qualities and the pump and injectors can be damaged by a misfuel...

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I would not stress too much, it's not​ a VW. My second CTD bought used had a prior mis-fuel and was run til it quit with many CELs, of course the selling dealership did not mention it.. found out from the servicing GM dealership. It seems to have no lasting damage. Just purge the fuel, replace filter. Stanadye is good too.. if deleted I hear 2 stroke oil is even better for lubricity.. you should be fine. CTD uses a pretty robust HPFP, unlike the 2009+ VWs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Good luck with this, keep us posted how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Since you finished filling it with the correct fuel, the percentage of gasoline is quite small.
By draining it as best you can, I'd guess there would be on the order of two or three gallons of this contaminated mixture remaining.
Once refilled with diesel, I contend the percentage will be similar to the way diesel fuel was blended for cold weather back in the day.

I think you'll be fine from that point but be prepared for a CEL as the fuel is consumed......I'd consider topping off at 1/4 tank intervals two or three times, but I think you'll get away with nothing more than a real clean fuel system.

Keep in touch,
Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All is well now. Used an inline fuel pump to empty what I could and refilled with fresh diesel. Near the fuel filter there is a connector/fitting from the filter to the hard line going forward. Black plastic quick connect type. I was able to make a fitting to hook the inline pump up there and pull through the filter and in tank pump. Was able to get 14 gallons out that way before sucking too much air. Slow but better than dropping the tank. Took about 20-25 minutes to fill a 5 gallon can. Changed the fuel filter and added 14 gallons back in. Cycled the key a bunch to purge the air.

Stumbled a little and died the first start attempt but started and idled just fine on the second. Put about 40 miles on it and didn't notice any strange behavior. Never could get a hose down the neck so guessing the tank has a rollover valve in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts