Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone here has had this happen or heard of this happening. When I take my Cruze to the, let's say theatre, when I come back out and start her up if I have left the climate controls on defrost I'll notice a strong smell of gasoline from the vents when I turn off defrost mode and back to bi-level. Like I said it takes being driven somewhere, the theatre, and left for a little bit, most often 10 minutes of being parked, and then started back up. The smell doesn't happen at any other time.

I am taking it to my dealer on Tuesday morning so if no one knows I'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the smell doesn't last more than a couple seconds

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gasoline Odor through Vents

Wondering if anyone here has had this happen or heard of this happening. When I take my Cruze to the, let's say theatre, when I come back out and start her up if I have left the climate controls on defrost I'll notice a strong smell of gasoline from the vents when I turn off defrost mode and back to bi-level. Like I said it takes being driven somewhere, the theatre, and left for a little bit, most often 10 minutes of being parked, and then started back up. The smell doesn't happen at any other time.

I am taking it to my dealer on Tuesday morning so if no one knows I'll keep you guys posted

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,542 Posts
This is usually an EVAP system issue.

If it was something like an intake manifold gasket, you'd be smelling it all the time.

No check engine light on?

·
Registered
348 Posts
mine is more of an oil smell but i wouldnt rule out gas as a smell either. there is a thread about this if you use the search feature. mine is exactly the same. drive somewhere, park for 5-30min, and oil smell is in the car. once car is drivin a short distance the smell goes away(which is why i dont bother bringing it in because they probably wont smell it, and tell me the car is working as designed)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Burnt coolant odor would be far more common. With engine odors, gas or oil, would have to go past that hood gasket, route up and over to the air intake vents only on the driver's side. What about opening your hood first to check for gas odors?

Do prefer the days when brass fittings were used in lieu of these plastic quick couplers. You can run your finger under these if the car sat for a bit to feel for any drops of gas. Worse case scenario is an engine fire. Leaks don't get better, they get worse coupled with 45 psi of fuel pressure.

Can also be a victim of dirty tricks, like someone pouring in a cap of gas on your air intake. Another one was pouring a half a quart of oil under a guy's brand new car. Drives them nuts.

Just wouldn't take gas odors lightly.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Fuel evaporative system, EPA required, consists of the vent valve, normally open, a carbon filled canister, a purge valve, normally closed, and a pressure sensor within the confines of the fuel tank.

A worse case scenario is to top off your tank when cool, then leave it parked in the heat of the sun. Gas expands, not a good idea to attempt to get that last bid of gas in the tank, a space above is required to handle that expansion. In a sealed system without that opened vent valve that lets fumes pass into that canister, the gas tank could explode with pressure.

Prior to the fuel evaporative system always was an aperture in the gas tank cap to relieve this pressure.

The canister is suppose to collect these fumes, when the vehicle is started and ran for a period, the vent solenoid closes, and that purge valve opens leading into the vacuumed intake manifold, but only when the turbo is not running, MAP sensor handles that. This draws air backwards through the cannister and into the intake manifold. Preventing it from entering the atmosphere, least in theory.

Feel that the canister is located in a very poor position in the Cruze, under the vehicle and behind the fuel tank exposed to road dust, road salt, rain splash and slush. During the purge cycle, these moisture is sucked back into the tank, and the canister can get plugged with road dust, particularly when driving on a gravel road. For years, mounted high under the hood on the firewall. Plenty of space in there to mount this canister.

During the purge cycle, a very slight vacuum occurs inside the fuel tank in the order of -0.7"/H2O, if this pressure is not reached, an error code will be set. On other GM vehicles, could be the same in the Cruze, when the PCM gets bored will run this vacuum test three time, if that pressure is not reduced 2 out of 3, that sets the error code.

For ages, use to be one fuel line running to the engine, but when the larger engines and cramped underhoods became popular, a return line had to be added to prevent vapor lock. With fuel evaporative system the pressure line, return line, and the vent line were added, increasing the odds again for fuel leaks. With these cheap in-tank fuel pump, fuel recirculation became mandatory. Some of these tiny pumps were dissipating 140 watts!

Cruze did eliminate that return line by mounting the fuel pressure regulator inside of the tank, but with regulator problems, no longer a simple job to replace it, does have a neoprene diaphragm that can crack. Now the tank has to be dropped to replace it.

When driving in the rain, watch out for those water puddles, in the desert, watch out for that dust.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Ben Jammin,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are having with your Cruze. I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Raw gasoline oder is not to be trifled with......I've seen the results.

But, in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if they found the air filter housing improperly seated.
After shutoff, a bit of fuel sits atop a closed (and hot) intake valve, and it will boil off.
The vapors are supposed to remain in the intake tract and are vacuumed and burned in the engine at startup......a poorly seated filter housing or ductwork will allow those vapors to hang under the hood....not enouph to cause a fire, just enouph for the cooling fan to suck into the HVAC system.

If there was a actual liquid fuel leak, say at the injector supply rail, the car would have a severe fuel odor as you walked up to it and fuel odor during operation.

Likely a simple repair.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
We've also had a couple of members report the Evap canisters needing replaced for some strange reason. This can also cause a brief gasoline odor. In any case, definitely get it taken in and fixed.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea it's not a raw gas smell it's more of just fumes and I just pin pointed it down to when I start the car with the defroster on and switch it over to bi-level and hit max fan speed I'll get the smell every time so I'm going to duplicate it myself for the dealer lol they're not fooling me. Also I told my step dad who is a mechanic about the fuel evaporation system and he says yea that's a more likely cause. Though if I have the extended warranty I'm not sure why anyone would dread taking it into the dealer, shouldn't it all be covered?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have also looked all over under the hood and the fuel rail and lines and saw no leak or any trace of scent. It is strictly through the vents, and smells already burnt.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Keep us posted on if and when you do go in to your dealership, Blancmange.
Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Stacy), Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 20 of 28 Posts