Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been filling gas since the late 90's so I'm not new to this, but in all those years this is the first time someone put the nozzle back with the trigger locked. Someones idea of a "prank"? Not knowing this I pull the nozzle out, select the gas (91 oct premium none the less) and one hand holding the nozzle upside down so as not to drip, I start to unscrew the gas cap with the other hand just as a good 1/4 gallon of gas shoots out the nozzle all over the side of my car covering the whole rear side then stops.

As I'm standing there in disbelief a few seconds go by and it happens again - another 1/4 gallon, then stops... this time I snap out of my shock and realized the trigger is locked in the full on position and I unlock it.

Don't do what I did, always check that the trigger is not locked and/or turn the pump on (pay or lift handle) once the nozzle is in the car's filler! I also made the mistake of using a paper towel to lightly clean some of the gas off the paint. It's likely marred and swirled now. Quik Detailer and a microfiber on the area seemed to clear up most of the paint haze but it still stinks of gas around the tire and wheel.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I was burned on a salt shaker once. Learned my lesson to always check that the lid is screwed on tight before using. 1/2 bottle of salt on my food sucked. The waitress did get me a new meal though. Kids playing was my guess.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I will always check from now on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
WOW that sucks monkey you know what. did you tell the gas attendances? Maybe they have it on video & can nail the pranksters.

PS ^ the salt thing never gets old. I was on a date one time & the woman I was with it happen to her. Boy did I laugh so much. I didn't happen to me I don't like salt but it is funny when you see it happen to someone else. SORRY

·
Registered
110 Posts
same result happen to me .. when i use to fill my truck i could get atleast 2 bucks if not more once the pump clicked off . i filled up my wife car and made a mess apparently full means full lol

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
same result happen to me .. when i use to fill my truck i could get atleast 2 bucks if not more once the pump clicked off . i filled up my wife car and made a mess apparently full means full lol
I thought it was common knowledge to stop filling once the pump clicks. Plus I have never seen an out of control gas pump. How does one lock a pump?
________________________________________________________________________________
The costly mistake many drivers make when filling their car with gas is to overfill it by topping it off. When the gas pump nozzle clicks off, do you stop or do you keep pumping? Are you trying to add more gas your tank after the shutoff trying to stuff as much in as possible? Are you pumping more gas after the shutoff to round your total cost to the nearest full dollar amount? If either of these scenarios are true, or if any other reason causes you to top off your tank you have developed a bad habit that is costing you money and is contributing to air pollution.

Most gas stations are equipped with pumps that have vapor recovery systems to recover gas vapors keeping those vapors from getting into the air. If you top off your tank it will cause you to pay for gas that is drawn back into the gas station's vapor recovery system.

The extra gas you are trying pump may be drawn back through the vapor recovery system into the station's tanks. Then in essence you are paying for fuel that is not going into your tank but is going into the gas station's tanks. This, of course, raises your cost of gas.

When you overfill your gas tank it is almost a certainty that gasoline will evaporate or will be spilled. If either of these or both of these occur it means buying gas that is not getting into your car. That has to hurt you in the wallet.

There are more undesirable situations that can happen when overfilling your gas tank. Gas expands as it warms up. This is certainly something to keep in mind in the summer or in areas with warm weather. Gas in underground tanks will be cooler than the air as the ground insulates it from the heat. As the fuel in your tank gets warmer it expands. As the fuel expands it has to have more room.

If you overfill your car, there is no room for the fuel to expand. As the gas expands it has to go somewhere. It could easily find it's way into the vapor collection system of your own car. This may foul the vapor system causing it to malfunction.

The fuel that expands is lost gasoline that you have paid for. You paid for gas that you are not able to use. The result: your cost of gasoline goes up. But that is not the end of your increased costs! If the expanding fuel ends up in your car's vapor collection system it will negatively affect the system. If that occurs your vehicle will become much less efficient.

A vehicle that runs inefficiently burns more fuel which translates into spending more money on gas. That is a double hit in the wallet, once for the fuel that is lost directly and second for the additional gas your vehicle uses because it is running inefficiently.

Gas vapors add toxic substances such as benzene to the air. This is a major contributor to days that are designated ozone warning days. Fuel vapors are detrimental for your health and harmful to you if inhaled. When you overfill your tank you end up with vapors added to the air right where you are pumping. This will cause you to inhale toxic fumes.

The next time you stop to fill your vehicle, when the pump stops don't try to add any more gas, your tank should be quite full. Don't overfill it! Don't top it off! You will save yourself fuel and money but you will also contribute to preserving your good health and preserving the environment!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought it was common knowledge to stop filling once the pump clicks. Plus I have never seen an out of control gas pump. How does one lock a pump?
________________________________________________________________________________
The costly mistake many drivers make when filling their car with gas is to overfill it by topping it off. When the gas pump nozzle clicks off, do you stop or do you keep pumping? Are you trying to add more gas your tank after the shutoff trying to stuff as much in as possible? Are you pumping more gas after the shutoff to round your total cost to the nearest full dollar amount? If either of these scenarios are true, or if any other reason causes you to top off your tank you have developed a bad habit that is costing you money and is contributing to air pollution.

Most gas stations are equipped with pumps that have vapor recovery systems to recover gas vapors keeping those vapors from getting into the air. If you top off your tank it will cause you to pay for gas that is drawn back into the gas station's vapor recovery system.

The extra gas you are trying pump may be drawn back through the vapor recovery system into the station's tanks. Then in essence you are paying for fuel that is not going into your tank but is going into the gas station's tanks. This, of course, raises your cost of gas.

When you overfill your gas tank it is almost a certainty that gasoline will evaporate or will be spilled. If either of these or both of these occur it means buying gas that is not getting into your car. That has to hurt you in the wallet.

There are more undesirable situations that can happen when overfilling your gas tank. Gas expands as it warms up. This is certainly something to keep in mind in the summer or in areas with warm weather. Gas in underground tanks will be cooler than the air as the ground insulates it from the heat. As the fuel in your tank gets warmer it expands. As the fuel expands it has to have more room.

If you overfill your car, there is no room for the fuel to expand. As the gas expands it has to go somewhere. It could easily find it's way into the vapor collection system of your own car. This may foul the vapor system causing it to malfunction.

The fuel that expands is lost gasoline that you have paid for. You paid for gas that you are not able to use. The result: your cost of gasoline goes up. But that is not the end of your increased costs! If the expanding fuel ends up in your car's vapor collection system it will negatively affect the system. If that occurs your vehicle will become much less efficient.

A vehicle that runs inefficiently burns more fuel which translates into spending more money on gas. That is a double hit in the wallet, once for the fuel that is lost directly and second for the additional gas your vehicle uses because it is running inefficiently.

Gas vapors add toxic substances such as benzene to the air. This is a major contributor to days that are designated ozone warning days. Fuel vapors are detrimental for your health and harmful to you if inhaled. When you overfill your tank you end up with vapors added to the air right where you are pumping. This will cause you to inhale toxic fumes.

The next time you stop to fill your vehicle, when the pump stops don't try to add any more gas, your tank should be quite full. Don't overfill it! Don't top it off! You will save yourself fuel and money but you will also contribute to preserving your good health and preserving the environment!
What if you drive a cruze Eco MT and your tank has a capacity of 15.x gallons, but, is limited to 12.x gallons?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have found a few of pumps with the handle locked in the last year or two, but never before. Just guessing here is the new fleet of 16 year old drivers a bit moronic?

Have made the habit since noticing this to ensure the nozzle is in the car before I even select the grade, typically this is when I catch the issue. One BP station I use will refuse to pump if the handle is this way, or if you click the handle down too soon before the pump is ready, it will kick off right away.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Procedure, I remove the gas cap first, place the nozzle in the filler, squeeze the trigger, run CC, hit the correct buttons, then set that hold open stop on the nozzle.

Run full speed and watch the gallons, already know what it should take, within the last couple of gallons, set the nozzle in low speed. Only put the end of the nozzle in about 4", when it clicks off, put the nozzle back on the pump. gas cap back on until it clicks, close the door, and grab my receipt.

Been doing this every since full service gas stations switch to these inconvenient stores.

·
Registered
379 Posts
oops.

When I fill my scooter, I fill it until I see it in the filler, stop pumping, press the flap up where the handle goes to shut off the pump, and pull the lever again to drain out all the gas in the hose.

I'm pretty sure I don't lock the handle though. :uhh:

·
Registered
874 Posts
It took me a while to work out what the OP was on about, here in Oz the locking bits were taken out of the pump handles a couple of decades ago, when self-serve became dominant.

I really can't remember when I last used a pump with a lock, back in the 1980s, perhaps??

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
What a jerk! I always put the nozel in the filler before I select grade ... I dont do this conciously so I am not saying you should or shoulda. I am just lucky with my habits.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Most stations here have those trigger locks, but wasn't true at first with inconvenient stores, had to stand outside in subzero weather holding that trigger. Don't forget your gloves, you hand would freeze to that nozzle.

Those canopies are certainly not very effective during a severe rain storm with high winds, so also bring your raincoat.

Also not every easy to read those pumps with a rising or setting sun glaring at those LCD screens.

My gas station has three different hoses for each grade of gas, the first thing I have to do is to untangle them. And make darn sure I have the correct hose, or will be pouring that ethanol crap into my tank.

You have to turn off the engine, pray that it will start again.

·
10,685 Posts
3 Gallons are reserved to cool your Fuel pump, + or - a gallon, at least in my trim?
Eco 6MT has the fuel pump shut the gas pump off super early to help save curb weight. Filling 11 gallons will get the needle all the way to full but it's not really full. Topping off literally gives us 200 more freeway mile range. There is a How To for swapping out to a non eco pump but certain years will or will not fix the 11 gallons full readings.

Never had a pump locked on me, all the ones I seen have a bar that fully presses the trigger on some way that would disengage it when you return the pump back to the holder.

And that is what makes New Jersey and Oregon so great, having highly skilled professional pumpers and no self service available. :eusa_clap:

Many do showing what's on sale inside the store. Cokes, Smokes and other offerings!
Not a fan, they(NJ) keep pumping 87 octane in cars that are 91 rated. Luckily the Cruze has an 87 fuel map but my Legacy and Marauder didn't.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It took me a while to work out what the OP was on about, here in Oz the locking bits were taken out of the pump handles a couple of decades ago, when self-serve became dominant.

I really can't remember when I last used a pump with a lock, back in the 1980s, perhaps??
Some regions and store brands in the states don't use them, but around the upper mid-west they all have the locks. Probably cold weather related.

On the pumps around here, if you pump with the trigger locked, when enough pressure builds in the filler the nozzle shuts off. When that happens the handle does not return, you have to squeeze the handle a tiny bit more to release the lock. The lock should release once the pump automatically shuts off from pressure, but these ones don't. So I figure someone not thinking forgot to unlock the handle after pumping and I was the unfortunate person to follow them. Lesson learned.

Also, the whole side wall of my rear tire is stained brown. The paint might make it but that tire took one for the team. It's a tire with 5,000 miles that looks like it's been sitting in the California sun for the last few decades.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts