Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am "upgrading" my cluster trim from the gray to the Chrome with Clear Bezel and figured id see what else I can do to spice up the cluster. I was reading over the "Ever wonder whats inside an instrument cluster?" and someone made a comment about how the Gauge Needles "Reset" when you start your car (full sweep). I was wondering if this was true? If it is, then wouldnt you be able to swap out your needles and not worry too much about placing them back on perfectly?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think they just test the full span of the needle motor. When looking at the gauges, there's no hard pin around the zero point to stop the needle, or at least I don't think there is.

Therefore I think you'd have to get the needles on fairly even. I wonder if the needles are splined to only go on the motor shaft one way, or if they are splined such that they can go on at different degree points on the shaft.

I did some service manual reading recently in an attempt to help MP81 with some electrical problems he was having.

The Instrument cluster does contain the VIN number of the car, and must "handshake" with the BCM for the cluster to be active. So I believe you can take apart the clusters and move the old circuit board into the "new look" cluster, I don't believe a new look cluster will directly work.

I'd like to see it tried though. As the manual clearly states that the mileage is stored in the BCM and not in the instrument cluster. It would be great if it was plug and play, but I'm guessing the only way to get the "new look" is take the clusters apart.

Reactions: MP81

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,815 Posts
Yes - the full sweep is just a calibration check for the motors. So you still need to make sure you install the needle in the right spot.

On the Cobalts, all info was stored in the BCM as well - but there was no VIN linked to the cluster. The only thing you had to be sure of was the year of the cluster and the year of your car matched, relative to what we knew was interchangeable with full function. '05 and '06 Cobalts could use either an '05 or '06 without a loss of functionality (DIC options). '07 required an '07 cluster and '08-'10 could use any cluster in the '08-'10 range. Speed would adjust accordingly no matter if you matched the year or not (three different speed-level clusters).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't swap the cluster, just the bezel. The cluster is the same all MY. The bezel is very easy removed and swapped over to my cluster. I didn't think they were "self setting" it's prob just for show in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts