Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had this idea floating for a gauge pod. A pillar pod is not the solution due to airbag. The fit will look like it was meant to be there. I am talking with company right now and seeing if they would make them. I see so many people want to install at least a boost gauge but don't know where to place it. So seeing how interested people would be to have a real pod custom fit to pop right into the car without ruining it. I will eventually get picture up of what I'm thinking.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Definitely an interest on his forum. I'd like to see this idea you got!

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Interested too....tagging along.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to contact a couple companies about this and see if they can estimate the costs before going all out. Hopefully doesn't take long to hear back. I am also looking into local places to deal face to face with.

I may hand draw it then post it, or go a little more all out, and make a fiberglass piece to show how it would be in car. But the actual piece would be plastic and match factory grain, or that is my intentions for them to do. So do bear with me a bit for product. I may make a stupid doodle in paint if I get bored.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was planning on making a batch to try to sell on here. Something to replace the dash storage bin. But I woul rather buy one from another vendor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, dash pocket would be removed. This would be an issue for people with Pioneer system, as speaker would have to be removed. But I have already had two emails come back, and sent out pictures of what I planned. So within the week, I might be able to get an estimate on pricing. Hopefully.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Last I Knew there is no airbag in the pillar, Its in the roof for the side airbags, Its just tied to the top of the pillar. We had this debate on cobalts way back when. If this is true with the cruze, a pillar pod will have no affect on your side roof-mounted airbags.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Last I Knew there is no airbag in the pillar, Its in the roof for the side airbags, Its just tied to the top of the pillar. We had this debate on cobalts way back when. If this is true with the cruze, a pillar pod will have no affect on your side roof-mounted airbags.
No Mike, there IS an airbag in the a-pillar. Says airbag right on it

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That I am not quite sure about. I don't care for airbags, so I don't pay attention to what they do with them. I have worked around them, even seats while I did upholstery, but don't care for them. I enjoyed tearing them out and blowing them up. If that is the case, and no airbag could interfere with having pillar pod, I may even submit that. So, I guess I will be looking into the airbags for once and see where they activate.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No Mike, there IS an airbag in the a-pillar. Says airbag right on it
X2. I recently had the a-pillar trim off to run a hard wire from the roof. The airbag IS in the pillar, but it only starts in the pillar as an anchor, it goes all the way back as a single airbag. The airbag CHARGE is in the roof. You can watch the side airbag deploy in the second half of the attached video.

getting back to the topic, I was going to make something like this Subaru gauge pod, but made to replace the dash bin.

·
Registered
132 Posts
getting back to the topic, I was going to make something like this
Subaru gauge pod, but made to replace the dash bin.
It would have to be smaller than that though. If it sat that high up on the dash, it would block your field of view. Maybe a 2 gauge pod with something else smaller in the middle? I have no idea what though... Just thinking that three gauges across might be a tight fit...

·
Registered
228 Posts
It would have to be smaller than that though. If it sat that high up on the dash, it would block your field of view. Maybe a 2 gauge pod with something else smaller in the middle? I have no idea what though... Just thinking that three gauges across might be a tight fit...
Well the opening measures 7 inches deep, and 10.5 inches wide at the back, 7 inches wide at the front. If you set the gauges back about 2 inches the opening is about 8 inches wide.

Using 60mm gauges (2.36 inches each), and allowing for only a half inch of clearance between the gauges, there ends up being only 8.09 inches measured from outside to outside.

Alternatively if I made the gauge pod oversized a bit, I could get all three in there, and fit them at the front too. I will have to make something tomorrow to do a mockup of it to show you what I am planning. I think it will work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My idea came from the WRX pod. I was going to use such a pod on my Saturn and fiberglass dash panel. But first day I got the Cruze, I drove a couple miles and thought that pocket is useless! *BING! Transform it into gauge pod. But I'm thinking of only having two gauges. I think three may fit but be really tight. I haven't measured yet. I have to send measurements out tomorrow.

Reactions: Stss95

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
762 Posts
I'm interested as long as it doesn't go where my Pioneer mid speaker is at. :)

Subscribed...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately it would. After seeing the crash test results, I don't think I want to have pod made for pillar. I prefer the center of the dash. It also would give a cleaner look to me then having the gauges on the pillar. Now if I knew how big that center speaker was, may be able to integrate it into the pod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts