Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Do you want an upgraded turbo kit for your Cruze?

• Yes

Votes: 89 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.9%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I'm trying to gauge interest in aftermarket turbo upgrades for the 1.4.

Turbokits.com does killer work with aftermarket turbo and I don't think that they would mind doing some work for the Cruze and Sonic especially since the Cruze is officially the number 1 selling sedan in America now.

One example of their work is the kit that they made for the Forte Koup. They got it from 172hp to 300hp/300ft lbs.

They do extensive testing and put their work on the road before selling to he public. Were talking at least 3000 miles after development. They make sure the kinks are worked out and that the drivetrain can handle it.

Yes or No?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think everyone would say they are interested, but of course price and power gains make the final decision on the checkbook!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is true. But because this car is already a turbo car then an upgraded kit shouldn't be all that expensive compared to a N/A car that requires an entirely new setup.

·
Registered
491 Posts
true, but fuel and tuning upgrades would still be needed along with just the turbo.

nonetheless, I vote yes!

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Fuel and tuning would be a part of the Trifecta Tune. If you installed AFTER your Trifecta, you could get in touch with Vince and have it retuned, but it'd cost a bit. Might as well get the tune afterwards.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
As far as hardware, you might be spending a little more... I'm sure and upgraded fuel rail, injectors, throttle body and all that would set you back a bit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as hardware, you might be spending a little more... I'm sure and upgraded fuel rail, injectors, throttle body and all that would set you back a bit.
Compared to a full kit for a N/A not really.

Also, not when bought in stages.

Ex. Stage 1- could be a more efficient manifold, pulley.
Stage 2-more efficient turbo, injectors
Stage 3- intercooler, meth, piping.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Maybe a joint venture between Vince and Turbokits.com could provide a packaged deal for a tuning solution and a bolt on kit. A safe base map to get people to local tuners or even a conservative street tune from Vince.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Knock yourselves out! Whatever floats your boat. Not for me. I will stay with my stock turbo. I didn't buy this car to go fast, if I wanted all out performance, I would have kept my 09 CTS-V with 556 HP. Another item you guys should be aware of. Several guys on the V site did some supercharger mods that resulted in blown motors. Then they had the gall to piss and moan that GM voided their warranty. And of course the aftermarket company said they had thousands of test miles done before marketing their product.......

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
What kind of mods did they do? Just more boost? I figured if they were going that route they would have put in LS9 internals.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts

Touche. Now if only we could find the parts.... :(

·
Registered
665 Posts

I thought the issue with this is the turbo and manifold are one piece, so it would require you to replace turbo, manifold and at least some exhaust in order to upgrade?

I'm sure some would be interested, but I wouldn't void pretty much the entire car warranty unless the gain was huge.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
What kind of mods did they do? Just more boost? I figured if they were going that route they would have put in LS9 internals.
LS9 internals = LSA internals, guts are the same.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I thought the issue with this is the turbo and manifold are one piece, so it would require you to replace turbo, manifold and at least some exhaust in order to upgrade?

I'm sure some would be interested, but I wouldn't void pretty much the entire car warranty unless the gain was huge.
You will def need an different header, but pretty sure a turbo swap is gonna void the warranty regardless. I haven't looked at the turbo yet (and probably won't to be honest, not gonna change it) but for some more power you could drop the guys and Grimm Speed a line and see if they will port the manifold and turbo. Won't be huge gains but should at least net better spooling and some top end. They do phenomenal work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I havent looked at the turbo on the Cruze. Dont know if it is or not. I am going to look at one today though. See whats up.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Thats the part number for the turbo, in the description it says exhaust manifold included and you cannot order the manifold seperate unless you have the 1.8.

No sure how this would impact turbo improvements.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I havent looked at the turbo on the Cruze. Dont know if it is or not. I am going to look at one today though. See whats up.
yes. manifold IS the exhaust housing of the turbo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That does put a damper upon improving upon the stock setup. With that being said someone could design an independent manifold and sell different turbos to go with it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts