Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is grinding 2nd gear like nobodies business.
I can barely drive the **** thing anymore.
If i'm over 3k RPM, it grinds like a ******* banshee.

It used to be just a little grind but it would pop in and the forums are FULL of people complaining so I let it go.

But now i can barely drive my 2014 LS car, it just grinds 2nd every time unless I drive it like Grandma.

My passenger seat also doesn't move, its like its welded in place.

Do they even give these things a once over before shipping them?

I need to find a dealer. My car is from Minnesota but i live in California, is there going to be any issue with getting service here in CA?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts

It used to be just a little grind but it would pop in and the forums are FULL of people complaining so I let it go.

But now i can barely drive my 2014 LS car, it just grinds 2nd every time unless I drive it like Grandma.
I have the same problem in my 2014 LT. Second gear can be a ******* nightmare. Usually happens when I'm trying to do 0-60 in 1-2 gear. Others have suggested to replace the trans fluid. I'm not entirely convinced this will fix the issue. I'm going to take mine to the dealer as this pisses me off when it grinds peanuts trying to shift into second (and ONLY second...)

Warranty is nation wide, location doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
More like "I"m going to take this mustang to the next light, oh wait, it sounds like I don't know how to drive a stick" FML lol

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
^^^ Not knowing how to drive stick is usually how your first and second gears end up like greens is describing.
I can assure you this isn't the case. Even if I'm not speeding off second gear is a nightmare, never in any other gear.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Change the Trans fluid out for Amsoil and the grinding will virtually disappear. The stock fluid is crap.
Your warranty is valid at any GM Dealership (not just Chevy). Only an extended warranty purchased from the dealer will be impacted.

^^^ Not knowing how to drive stick is usually how your first and second gears end up like greens is describing.
The problem is the fluid. If you search the forums you can find a ton of posts on this.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Enlighten us o' shifting guru.
On what? Second gear is shitty, plain and simple. It should be recalled and fixed or fixed under warranty regardless of recall. Has nothing to do with my driving ability. Manuals DON'T do this. This isn't my first manual. It's just been 10 years since I've had one. Haven't forgotten how to drive one.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Change the Trans fluid out for Amsoil and the grinding will virtually disappear. The stock fluid is crap.
Your warranty is valid at any GM Dealership (not just Chevy). Only an extended warranty purchased from the dealer will be impacted.

The problem is the fluid. If you search the forums you can find a ton of posts on this.
I'm going to try it but I just can't imagine it's as simple as fluid.... but then again I'm not a mechanical engineer

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

My passenger seat also doesn't move, its like its welded in place.

Do they even give these things a once over before shipping them?

I need to find a dealer. My car is from Minnesota but i live in California, is there going to be any issue with getting service here in CA?
I have the same issue with my second gear as well... I don't even no lift shift in this car because of that reason. I'll look into getting the trans fluid changed, and let you guys know if that helps.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
OP - get the transmission replaced, then Amsoil!

Skip the Synchromesh and go straight for the 75W-90 if you're in Cali. Aww yis.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Has anyone tried using GM sycromesh fluid that has fixed a few none GM cars with grind issues. Also how many miles on your LS and is it a clean title car. If your under 36k they will fix the seat if not it will be out of pocket If you need a dealer go to Martin Cadillac ask for Jose morales or to camino real chevy in Monterey park as for Fernando

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I haven't ground my 1->2 shift since I switched to the AMSOIL Synchromesh at 45K miles. I'm currently at 53K miles.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
On what? Second gear is shitty, plain and simple. It should be recalled and fixed or fixed under warranty regardless of recall. Has nothing to do with my driving ability. Manuals DON'T do this. This isn't my first manual. It's just been 10 years since I've had one. Haven't forgotten how to drive one.
It is not the transmission. This issue has been documented very extensively. There is a sticky in the new members' section as a crash course to Cruze maintenance that covers this. The COMG covers this. There is a sticky in the power train section that describes exactly why this is happening and what to do to fix it. The OE fluid is too thin, and it breaks down by 3-10k miles (your mileage will vary). It is also way too weak and whatever friction modifiers they used don't engage the synchros very well. The gear ratios don't help, but the #1 source of the problem is the fluid.

This entire forum has unanimously agreed without exception that AMSOIL Synchromesh is the best OE replacement for the M32 available to us. The AMSOIL 75W-90 is great if you don't mind a bit of clunky shifting in cold weather till the trans warms up but the AMSOIL Synchromesh is worlds better.

Has anyone tried using GM sycromesh fluid that has fixed a few none GM cars with grind issues. Also how many miles on your LS and is it a clean title car. If your under 36k they will fix the seat if not it will be out of pocket If you need a dealer go to Martin Cadillac ask for Jose morales or to camino real chevy in Monterey park as for Fernando
A couple people I talked to tried the GM and Pennzoil synchromesh and ended up switching to AMSOIL.

Get the trans replaced, then immediately flush the fluid out for AMSOIL Synchromesh.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...mission-fluid-5w-30/?code=MTFQT-EA&zo=5224266

Order 3 quarts and fill 2.5. I know what the service manual says; just fill 2.5 quarts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I know we've discussed it but regardless of fluid or gears themselves, GM should correct the issue.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I haven't ground my 1->2 shift since I switched to the AMSOIL Synchromesh at 45K miles. I'm currently at 53K miles.
Mine still ground often with Syncromesh for some reason. Hasn't done it once since the thicker fluid.

I know we've discussed it but regardless of fluid or gears themselves, GM should correct the issue.
Transmissions have never been GMs forte.

Sent from Bill the WonderPhone

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Where did you go to get the fluid done at ober? Since we're in the same area I'd like to get it done similar to what you have with these cold winters, weight wise if you haven't noticed any issues?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts