Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife's 2012 1.4T transmission began making some odd noises yesterday. Doing some driving, it appears to do the following:

• At or above 28 mph, it will begin to make a ticking noise that seems to be vehicle speed related.
  • When it shifts gears, or engages the TCC clutch at 28 mph, the RPMs increase as though it down shifted, then they come back down a few seconds later.
  • When braking and the above-mentioned noise is present, it makes a much louder clunking noise, also speed related.
  • If you let off the brake or coast down to 22 mph, the noises go away.

This leads me to believe the torque converter clutch is failing, or perhaps a solenoid that engages it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I plan to plug in EFILive tonight and use the BIDI to manually disengage the TCC and see if I can pinpoint the problem.

I'll check the fluid level in the trans as well, although that's a little more involved. Luckily the weather this week isn't too bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Garrett

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi all,

My wife's 2012 1.4T transmission began making some odd noises yesterday. Doing some driving, it appears to do the following:

• At or above 28 mph, it will begin to make a ticking noise that seems to be vehicle speed related.
  • When it shifts gears, or engages the TCC clutch at 28 mph, the RPMs increase as though it down shifted, then they come back down a few seconds later.
  • When braking and the above-mentioned noise is present, it makes a much louder clunking noise, also speed related.
  • If you let off the brake or coast down to 22 mph, the noises go away.

This leads me to believe the torque converter clutch is failing, or perhaps a solenoid that engages it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I plan to plug in EFILive tonight and use the BIDI to manually disengage the TCC and see if I can pinpoint the problem.

I'll check the fluid level in the trans as well, although that's a little more involved. Luckily the weather this week isn't too bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Garrett
there's a cleaning/purging the solenoids you can perform with the diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent some more time on this, I've moved away from thinking it's the transmission and now I think it's the ABS system. I have codes U0415 and C050 and a couple dash lights that are on. I already replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor based on C050, but alas this did not fix the intermittent noise nor did it make the lights and codes go away after resetting them.

I found a service bulletin that talks about cleaning the speed sensor magnetic ring on the wheel hub. I'll need to give that a go. I had falsely assumed the ABS lights were unrelated to the intermittent noise described in the first post, but there is a correlation to the lights not coming on and the noise being present.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts