Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a factory turbo with less than 5K miles on it to replace the one in my car. I have reached out to a couple of salvage yards to see what they will charge for shipping, but right I would be looking in the $300-350 range shipped to 55379/Minnesota. Let me know what you have with pictures. Thank you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for looking out. I fount one with 400 miles on it for less money, but ended up getting screwed. So at this point in time I am driving with a busted turbo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Be careful. If anything comes apart it can be sucked into your engine. Also, get a crack in the right spot and you will be mixing coolant with your oil.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks for looking out. I fount one with 400 miles on it for less money, but ended up getting screwed. So at this point in time I am driving with a busted turbo.
Minnesotafats-

I remember your struggles, and you've pulled a turbo twice, both times that was with the second hand unit, and now you need to do it again! I thought your ride was fixed and you ended up going with a new turbo from Suburban Chev, no?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to go with a new turbo if I got my money back from the company I bought the turbo from, but they didn't help me out and I am stuck with a $300 broken turbo. The car gets crappy gas mileage, but still works, so it's going to stay this way. I refuse to spend money twice on something that I shouldn't have to.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Isn't Ati Kovi parting out a 2012 with something like 4000 miles on it?

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
As my wife says: "Sometimes you have to spend a little money to save a little money."

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Fix it right. Chalk this up as a "car payment" when you get three or four consecutive months like this start looking to replace the car. Your signature indicates this is a daily driver - don't waste your time, money, and energy on half fixes. DDs need to be reliable and repaired when they do break.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Last heard from OP in September......kind of like flogging dead horse.

But, since we are discussing this.......I suspect the OP never checked the oil feed line for blockage. If I recall correctly, the line was updated (2013) with a heat wrap to prevent the lubricant getting cooked in the tube and blocking the lube to the bearings.
I wouldn't be surprised if his replacement turbo quickly died of oil starvation and likely why the original one failed.

Rob

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A brand new turbo is $560 from gmpartsdirect. Why get a second hand unit that may or may not have accident or abuse damage when a new one isn't that much?

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-...e/engine-cat/turbocharger-and-components-scat
You can get AcDelco/GM Re-manufactured turbo's in the Rockauto catalog for around $530 if I recall correctly. It might even be the same part number that was used years ago. It looks like GM/AcDelco is starting to have these available rebuilt than new. I'd trust one of these. Not sure I'd trust the Dorman, or the Cardone in the catalog though.

I'd rather have a AcDelco rebuilt, than something that was pulled in a hurry from a yard and might be cracked or damaged.

Most salvage yard products are probably high mileage by now, and your not sure if this turbo was pulled in 2011 and sat on a shelf, or from a car that just came in with high miles. If the salvage prices come down from their $300-$400 rates, maybe it's worth the chance..

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can buy the brand new turbo cartridge on ebay for like 180 bucks and rebuild yours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree. I replaced my line with the new style.

·
10,712 Posts
Had to manufacture come quotes till It gets fixed.

Fix it right. Chalk this up as a "car payment" when you get three or four consecutive months like this start looking to replace the car. Your signature indicates this is a daily driver - don't waste your time, money, and energy on half fixes. DDs need to be reliable and repaired when they do break.
Reason I ended up here and $5000 or so into DD now turned project car because I took a $189 shortcut. In the beginning you see it as getting the DD back on the road quickly as any means necessary since bumming rides and rentals are a short term issue.

But, since we are discussing this.......I suspect the OP never checked the oil feed line for blockage. If I recall correctly, the line was updated (2013) with a heat wrap to prevent the lubricant getting cooked in the tube and blocking the lube to the bearings.
I wouldn't be surprised if his replacement turbo quickly died of oil starvation and likely why the original one failed.

Rob
Yeah the line change, OCI interval dropped, and full synthetic Dexos 1 IIRC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never understand why people worry about such little money when it comes to fixing something correctly and then complaining when it doesn't work! Just spend the extra and no more worries!
I'll be going through here to answer some of these. Unless you have a special needs child and the medical bills that go with it, I would suggest questioning making these kinds of statements. Money to me is beyond tight and saving myself some, make all the sense in the world. There are months where I can see $5K in medical bills.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I am able to find a turbo for several hundred less with little to no miles, would it not make financial sense? DDs can be reliable with used parts.

Rob
I suspect you are incorrect. I checked the line and had no blockage what so ever and the turbo still failed. When I repaired it, I actually replaced the lines, because I could. Now here comes the surprise, the replacement turbo didn't quickly die from oil starvation. It died because the company lied to me about the car it came from. I got to pull it back out because the compressor and inducer had a broken flange.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
If I am able to find a turbo for several hundred less with little to no miles, would it not make financial sense? DDs can be reliable with used parts.
I think you answered your question in your response to Rob. The Turbo for these cars is only $500-$600 new, why risk an unknown used part for $300? The expensive part is the labor.

I suspect you are incorrect. I checked the line and had no blockage what so ever and the turbo still failed. When I repaired it, I actually replaced the lines, because I could. Now here comes the surprise, the replacement turbo didn't quickly die from oil starvation. It died because the company lied to me about the car it came from. I got to pull it back out because the compressor and inducer had a broken flange.
So now that used turbo is costing you double the labor...

If this was a $3,000 transmission I would agree with trying to find a good condition used transmission. I just think that at the list price of the turbo your time and money is better spent installing a new one rather than a used one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts