Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Gen 1 Tuning Comparision Thread

20034 Views 112 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Jimster480
I have been seeing a lot of questions lately among members about the various tuning options available for the Cruze. I'm creating this thread to aid those who are trying to make the decision of whether or not to tune their Cruze AND if they decide to tune it, which option they want to go with. If you wish to post in this thread, please only post about YOUR OWN experience with a particular tuning service or personal tuning experience.

In your post, please include the following information:

Vehicle Year, Make, Model, Trim
Engine Size with RPO code (if you know it)
Transmission Type (automatic/manual)
Vehicle Modifications (if any)
Name of Tuner/Tuning Software
Review of YOUR OWN experience with the Tuner/Tuning Software
Cost for Tuning
Dyno Sheet (If you have one) OR Screenshot of power numbers

I hope this thread is helpful.
1 - 18 of 28 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,883 Posts
THIS IS A COPY AND PASTE OF A MUCH LATER POST IN ORDER TO TRY AND GROUP SOME PERTINENT POSTS
This post is by @72chevman

Tim at ZZP did a great job on my 16 Limited. We went back and forth seven times before he was 100% happy with the tune.
It was so weak when I bought it. With my scangauge I never saw more than 13PSI. Now I've seen 20. The car was just plain lackluster, It's now actually fun to drive.
I added their Downpipe at the same time as the tune. I did one step colder plugs, AEM cold air and Magnaflow muffler prior to tune and ZZP mid-pipe afterwards.
The trans shifts so much quicker all the time, not just when driving hard. It will now bark the tires when it hits 2nd gear when you are really in the gas pedal.
I just got 35MPG average on a 1800mile trip (No A\C). I try and use ethanol free 91 when I can, which is found at Caseys in the midwest. Most of this trip was 65-75 MPG. I'll get over 40 if running 60-65 which we do in Rural WI where speed limits are 55 thru the hills, trees and around all the lake communities.
On our trips across Kansas to Colorado at 80MPG I get 32MPG, 30 if AC is on.
In the Flint Hills of KS and the Mountains of CO, this car never loses more than 1MPH going up steep grades, and thats without it downshifting. Boost is a wonderful thing

2016 Limited LT, ZZP Tune, ZZP DP, ZZP Mid Pipe, AEM Cold Air, Magnaflow muffler, 35% Ceramic tint, 215/55/17 W Rated Continental tires on DR-33 wheels, added OEM Driving lights
2013 Cruze LS 35% Ceramic Tint, 2016 16" 5 spoke Alloy Wheels

The original post: Gen 1 Tuning Comparision Thread

(y)

· The Nuclear Option
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a tune review for Vermont Tuning.

Car Details:
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT
1.4L RPO Code: LUJ
Automatic Transmission
I don't have any concrete power info yet.

Current Engine Modifications:
Vermont Tuning E85 Flex Fuel Tune
Injen Cold Air Intake
ZZP Intercooler Package
ZZP Throttle Body Spacer
460cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors
Ported Intake Manifold
Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
MSD Ignition Coil
ZZP Downpipe
ZZP Catted Mid Pipe
Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust

I have been tuned by Vermont Tuning for 7 months. They are one of the lesser known options for tuning. I originally choose Vermont Tuning because they offered tuning/scanning from a handheld, called an Autocal, as I "traded in" my 12 year old laptop for a new desktop last spring.

In the beginning, things were a bit rocky. Mainly technical issues on my end involving my new PC. However this is how I discovered how great Vermont Tuning's customer service is. Brian, the owner/tuner, sat through countless troubleshooting conference calls with me on weekdays, evenings and even on the weekend!
He has always responded to my emails within hours. Even when a tune update is required.

As for power, there is no comparison versus the stock tune. Stock boost was around 15 psi. Right now I run 20 psi without a problem. I don't have any dyno numbers yet, but it will plant you in your seat and spin the tires through 1st and into second. (With traction control off of course)

As for fuel economy, before I switch to E85, my highway fuel economy actually increased by 6 MPG.

Cost for tune and Autocal: $550

I hope this review is helpful.

· The Nuclear Option
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get a maf reading in grams, and multiply it by 1.25 which gives me the horsepower at the wheels. I get about 140-145 g/s depending on the run but it adds up to 175-180 whp. I even asked trifecta for how much power I’m making based on the data logs and I got the same numbers. Not sure how accurate this calculation is but I’ve read it should be pretty close to a dyno.
How does that work? By that theory you would be making horsepower at the wheels by reving it in park...

· The Nuclear Option
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just to confirm, you only made 135 or so HP with trifecta tune? I have to be reading something wrong... On 8/31 graph.
To me that sounds like it could be correct. The stock LUJ only puts out 138 HP at most to the flywheel. Realistically, that translates to 110-115 HP to the wheels. And if what MP81 says is correct and the Mustang dyno reads 5-10 HP low, in my mind it's even more realistic.

· The Nuclear Option
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So looking at getting the ZZP BWv3 turbo. Thoughts on a ZZP tune vs BNR tune please. I'm BNR tuned atm but not sure if they'll deliver with the ZZP BWv3. BNR said I'll need the FPCM for more fuel pressure with the 42# injectors, ZZP don't need this mod to tune it. Also BNR said that they won't tune past 19 PSI because ZZP won't honour any warranty over 19 PSI and I have to agree to BNR not being liable in any damage over 19 PSI. ZZP said this isn't true and they had honoured every warranty to date (a few months ago). So yeah, not sure on how to proceed with tuning...
Oh really? @Thebigzeus might find this interesting.

As for warranties and customer service go, ZZP is top notch from my experiences. BNR probably just wants you to buy their products. Which is understandable, they are a business. Especially since apparently they don't charge for additional tuning or so I'm told.

My tuner charged me $350 to re-tune for my build.

· The Nuclear Option
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Tim at ZZP did a great job on my 16 Limited. We went back and forth seven times before he was 100% happy with the tune.
It was so weak when I bought it. With my scangauge I never saw more than 13PSI. Now I've seen 20. The car was just plain lackluster, It's now actually fun to drive.
I added their Downpipe at the same time as the tune. I did one step colder plugs, AEM cold air and Magnaflow muffler prior to tune and ZZP mid-pipe afterwards.
The trans shifts so much quicker all the time, not just when driving hard. It will now bark the tires when it hits 2nd gear when you are really in the gas pedal.
I just got 35MPG average on a 1800mile trip (No A\C). I try and use ethanol free 91 when I can, which is found at Caseys in the midwest. Most of this trip was 65-75 MPG. I'll get over 40 if running 60-65 which we do in Rural WI where speed limits are 55 thru the hills, trees and around all the lake communities.
On our trips across Kansas to Colorado at 80MPG I get 32MPG, 30 if AC is on.
In the Flint Hills of KS and the Mountains of CO, this car never loses more than 1MPH going up steep grades, and thats without it downshifting. Boost is a wonderful thing
This is the 1st ZZP tuning review we've had. Would you allow me to reformat it?

@Blasirl @jblackburn Can I move this further up in the thread with the other reviews?

1 - 18 of 28 Posts