Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Gen 1 Tuning Comparision Thread

20028 Views 112 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Jimster480
I have been seeing a lot of questions lately among members about the various tuning options available for the Cruze. I'm creating this thread to aid those who are trying to make the decision of whether or not to tune their Cruze AND if they decide to tune it, which option they want to go with. If you wish to post in this thread, please only post about YOUR OWN experience with a particular tuning service or personal tuning experience.

In your post, please include the following information:

Vehicle Year, Make, Model, Trim
Engine Size with RPO code (if you know it)
Transmission Type (automatic/manual)
Vehicle Modifications (if any)
Name of Tuner/Tuning Software
Review of YOUR OWN experience with the Tuner/Tuning Software
Cost for Tuning
Dyno Sheet (If you have one) OR Screenshot of power numbers

I hope this thread is helpful.
1 - 17 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,280 Posts
I like this idea, I think we should also post cost as that can be a big determining factor.

I want to start this off by saying this is my opinion and an unbiased and honest review.

BNR Autocal Tune $600: BNRTUNE-CRUZE14-BNR Tune 2011-2016 Limited Chevrolet Cruze 1

2013 Cruze 1LT
1.4L
Automatic
195HP on auto cal, assumed 170WHP
ZZP downpipe | Forge wastegate actuator | Forge atmospheric bypass valve | MSD Coil | ZZP Big 3 kit

I have the older BNR EFILive BNR tune, they now offer HP Tuners. They are the same tune, but different technologies. To start off with, they send you a base tune. You flash this onto your vehicle and gather a log to send back to them. They will then analyze the log and make changes if needed. I didn’t need to have any done. The base tune makes a ridiculous amount of power over stock and your butt dyno will immediately know.

They offer retunes for no cost as well as for mods. My experience when requesting custom tunes has been about 50/50. I requested a higher PSI tune and it worked ok, but went into limp mode/overboost a lot. Enough to not be drivable enjoyable. The Eco tune I requested though is great! I noticed quite the increase in misfires on their tune versus stock, I assume this is due to timing and them advancing it to get more power, they assure me it is no issue. It’s usually under mid acceleration or after letting off the throttle from wide open.

I get better MPG on all of their tunes versus stock, even pushing 20PSI. I currently am running their normal canned base tune and it’s fine. If you floor it, it will spin the tires a bit in first and bark the tires when shifting to second (2nd gear scratch). Which to an automobile nut, is quite desirable 😃

Their response time on tunes is normally at least 2 weeks and all the way up to a month. To some this is an acceptable window, but to me it really isn’t. I love the power, but the tune replies are pretty much rushed and lacking. You can’t ask quesitons and just receive a new file and are told to load it up. I get it they’re busy, but a little more smoothness around the edges would be nice; as well as a faster response time. If you are marketing yourself as offering updates for free, they should be a bit more timely.

In the end they get the job done, and that is how some companies operate. I am not disappointed in any way.

· Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,280 Posts
Yeah, ZZP results are few and far between. Not sure where all the BNR tuned dyno's are. BNR told me the BNR GTX250 will produce 230-250whp on 93 octane pump gas, with the ZZP turbo making 200WHP on E85. Is this accurate or just pushing their numbers for marketing? I have only seen one dyno recently with the GTX making 177.25 HP other than BNR's dyno's on their website. Comments on that were that it's not accurate 🤷‍♂️
Are you on the BNR performance closed group facebook? There are some posted there.

· Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,280 Posts
It seems like BNR probably makes a superior product, but personally I couldn't justify the cost.
Yep, I think so too without a doubt. If the cost was like $1200-1300 for the BNR I would be all over it. I'm not a cheap person, but I just can't justify the ROI of $1700+ injectors.

· Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,280 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and say this is how the V3 is produced, given it is listed on the site. Chinese casting, but ZZP does all the rest of the work, so...

Given the massive quality increase in Chinese housings in recent years, and the fact all the critical processes are done at ZZP, I'd say it's a nonissue.
Certainly a possibility, failure ratio of course depends on how many they sell too. If we see 6 failures a month and they sell 1000 turbos, that of course not as bad as 6 a month where they sold 10 turbos.

And Jerry I get your points, you are a business and need to make a profit. Yours are of no doubt higher quality, but to me when I factor the price of the car, and how much I, personally, would spend on upgrades, it exceeds that. Obviously for some it doesn’t, I have the funds, if it were a $30k car I’d invest that in a heartbeat. Based upon what I’ve seen I won’t be buying a ZZP V3 either.

· Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,280 Posts
Any links to these failures your refering to ? I'd like some info.

1 - 17 of 19 Posts