Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that this type of question has ever stopped me before but, before I do something stupid and regrettable, question for the gen 1 owners who have upgraded to the gen 2.

How do they compare in performance? Economy?

(This may have been answered already. If it has just point me to the link. At time my search-foo seems to be non-existent.)

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
...before I do something stupid and regrettable...
LOL...Let me guess, you drove your Gen 1 to the local Chevy dealer and you’re drooling over the new Gen 2. That new car smell is intoxicating and the 50+ mpg sounds awesome but you’re not sure you want another 5 year loan commitment, higher insurance and registration..something like that?

I don’t have a Gen 2 but from what I’ve read GM has done a good job. Previous Gen 1 folks report it’s nice to have a spare tire, improved fuel economy, similar performance (less hp/torque but lighter car). Also many like the manual trans option, something not available with Gen 1 CTD.

One thing previous Gen 1 owners ‘regret’ w/Gen 2 is the smaller fuel tank and some (not too many) dislike the auto-stop feature.

Good luck on your research and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, it is still on the truck on the way to the dealer. But I am a sucker for Hatchbacks. 2018 Nightfall Gray Diesel Auto RS.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I never owned a Gen 1, but I do love my Gen 2. Close to 6k miles and love this fuel mileage. One complaint I've heard is the DEF range on Gen 2 is alot less than Gen 1. May be the tank size or a more robust injection rate. It seems most are getting the first drop from "Full" to a percent range is around 3.5k to 4k miles. Mine came on at 3.7k miles.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick note. Inventory manager said it should be there Monday. He will call me it is off the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Quick note. Inventory manager said it should be there Monday. He will call me it is off the truck.
Excited to see a ‘18 diesel, post some pics!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to look at a '17 diesel at our local dealer, and when the salesman got the key fob, the vehicle was totally dead. Not a very good first impression. But I would still like to hear what people think of them. It's on sale right now and it's a very tempting deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I never had nor drove a Gen 1 Cruze Diesel, but I own a Gen 2 Manual Transmission Cruze Diesel, and I'm thrilled with it. I just hit 15,000 miles in about 3.5 months, and I'm still averaging 52.4 MPG. The car has plenty of torque for passing vehicles on the highway without a downshift from 6th gear. This is my first Diesel vehicle that I've owned (though my Dad had a 1980 Audi 5000S Diesel when it was new), and I am definitely a fan! I have averaged about 3300 miles before refilling the DEF tank, but the longest interval was over 5000 miles (and I was at 12% DEF remaining; it also told me each time I started the car what the mileage range was, the lowest figure of which was 264 miles until it needed a refill). It's not hard to find DEF either; every dealership should have it, as do most Auto Parts Stores.

If you are considering a Cruze Diesel, finding one in stock may be harder than anything else. I'm at a large Chevy Dealership in KC, MO today and the Manager told me that they haven't even had one yet. I lucked into getting mine, and I'm so glad that I did! If I could change anything about it, I'd love to have a nicer stereo and larger wheels and tires (17" instead of 16" would be fine). Slightly stiffer suspension would work for me as well, but the ride is very smooth, and I would not want to completely get rid of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked our 2018 CTD Sedan up last Thursday. Ordered it August 9th, delivered October 12th. Almost nine weeks to get the first CTD in Central Florida. There were on 5 available in a 500 mile radius when we placed our order

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The inventory manager checked to see if he could find another diesel hatch that was in stock at a dealership anywhere in the state to get transferred in. There are two in Texas, both sitting still in San Antonio being held for some reason. Best guess now, two to three weeks at best.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I can only speak to the auto models, as that's all I've driven. Performance is - more or less - identical between the 1.6TD and 2.0 TD despite the HP/tq loss. The weight loss and gearing makes up for it. The 1.6 diesel is just about as quick as the higher-HP 1.4T floored, and much more torquey at partial throttle.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can only speak to the auto models, as that's all I've driven. Performance is - more or less - identical between the 1.6TD and 2.0 TD despite the HP/tq loss. The weight loss and gearing makes up for it. The 1.6 diesel is just about as quick as the higher-HP 1.4T floored, and much more torquey at partial throttle.
Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.