Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2018 Cruze "pepperdust" HB, diesel, 6-sp manual... and love it! Just wanted to see if anyone has the diesel Equinox and if anyone has thought of swapping the manual trans into the Equinox. I think it would be an awesome AWD with a 6-sp manual trans.

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Sure, youll just need to get a flywheel, clutch, clutch release parts, trans, trans mounts, axles, shift cables, shifter, console , ECM and BCM tunes, wiring harness mods. You can get the Equinox manual specific parts from Australia/NZ, Caribbean, Central America and Europe.
It's a pretty big undertaking. And AWD even more so.

I'd rather have a Terrain with a stick. I think the Equinox is hideous.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
The only SUVs anyone ever considers buying with a manual (and hence the reason they're the only ones really made with it) are...you guessed it...the Jeep Wrangler.

·
2,170 Posts
Don't forget about Subaru. I respect them for offering many manual transmission options to stubborn folk like myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, even they have discontinued many of the offerings I was remembering. Very sad indeed. Soon they will stop selling them altogether, and I will be reduced to purchasing used vehicles only.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes the manual options are dying off rapidly which is a big part of why I pulled the trigger on my 2018. The Cruze in its final year has no manual available which is a shame.

Difficult for me to believe but the BMW 3 series doesn't even offer a manual anymore! I get that automatics keep getting better and faster but some people still really prefer the stick especially on a sports sedan like that. Unfortunately not enough of us to keep them available though. It looks like the 2019 Mazda 3 sedan is also automatic only.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2018 Cruze "pepperdust" HB, diesel, 6-sp manual... and love it! Just wanted to see if anyone has the diesel Equinox and if anyone has thought of swapping the manual trans into the Equinox. I think it would be an awesome AWD with a 6-sp manual trans.

any thoughts?
This would be a very difficult and expensive project. I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery and considered a similar swap, parts are not the difficulty, the ability to program the computers requires specific tools that are quite cost prohibitive. It will be even more so for a 2018 car. I too would love to see more manual transmission options. That said the DMF on the Diesel is a weak link, and I don't think there is a single mass conversion out there yet for this application...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: armillner

·
Registered
528 Posts
was looking forward to the CX-5 diesel... but its auto only...
and this:

2018 CX-5 diesel at 28 mpg city and 31 mpg highway for the front-wheel drive version and 27/30 mpg with all-wheel drive.

·
17,346 Posts
and this:

2018 CX-5 diesel at 28 mpg city and 31 mpg highway for the front-wheel drive version and 27/30 mpg with all-wheel drive.
Weird...that seems super low for a diesel, even if it is a crossover. The Equinox is rated at 28/38, almost in-line with a gasoline powered regular sedan.

Wonder if they had to richen it up a lot for the US NOx emissions standards...

·
2,170 Posts
Weird...that seems super low for a diesel, even if it is a crossover. The Equinox is rated at 28/38, almost in-line with a gasoline powered regular sedan.

Wonder if they had to richen it up a lot for the US NOx emissions standards...
It might just be Mazda being modest. They claim 27/34 and 30 combined for the Miata but I've averaged 33 MPG driving like a manic, it boggles my mind. It doesn't even have overdrive, 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio and the engine hates revving under 2,300RPM thanks to the high compression ratio.

I'd bet any money that the people who buy those diesel CX5s will frequently see tank averages in the 40s.

·
17,346 Posts
It might just be Mazda being modest. They claim 27/34 and 30 combined for the Miata but I've averaged 33 MPG driving like a manic, it boggles my mind. It doesn't even have overdrive, 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio and the engine hates revving under 2,300RPM thanks to the high compression ratio.

I'd bet any money that the people who buy those diesel CX5s will frequently see tank averages in the 40s.
Maybe on the highway, but tank averages? Nah. Then they'll release their Skyactiv-X gasoline engine and blow the numbers of their diesel out of the water.

My sister's CX-5 (with the 2.5) seems to do right around 30 mpg highway (70-75) and low to mid 20's in the city - right on the EPA numbers. So about the same as our 2.5 Jetta, which isn't bad at all for a CUV.

I do hope their next generation of engines is more refined. They have done super nice things with the Mazda lineup, but the Skyactiv 2.5 is quite a noisy, thrashy motor - especially in the 3/6 with less insulation. The new Miata 2.0 with the 7500 RPM redline sounds like a hoot to drive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A friend works for Mazda...I've actually seen a CX-5 diesel, 6 months or so ago. From my understanding they had the choice of crazy mileage numbers or the refinement levels people expect of a Mazda, and they chose the latter. I'm not sure how / what the difference is but even he doesn't know the timetable for the diesel release.

The Mazda 6 diesel never came out even though they ran it in the NASA 25 two or three years ago.

·
2,170 Posts
Manual transmissions are nice when you are young. I'm getting older and regretting buying one. Sometimes it's nice to be in traffic and forget about all the clutch pedal use.
Maybe one day I'll understand, but I've exclusively owned manual transmission vehicles only for the last 11 years, and I still don't want an automatic. Traffic doesn't bother me at all, hydraulic clutches are so light now and if you're not 2 feet away from the car in front, you can coast in one gear without a lot of shifting pretty easily.

I just don't understand why this country has no interest in driving anymore. Less than 5% of new cars in the US are sold with a manual. In the rest of the world, it's 45%. There's some weird cultural thing here about avoiding manuals. And it's worse than that, most of my friends wouldn't even own a car if they didn't have to.

·
17,346 Posts
Maybe one day I'll understand, but I've exclusively owned manual transmission vehicles only for the last 11 years, and I still don't want an automatic. Traffic doesn't bother me at all, hydraulic clutches are so light now and if you're not 2 feet away from the car in front, you can coast in one gear without a lot of shifting pretty easily.

I just don't understand why this country has no interest in driving anymore. Less than 5% of new cars in the US are sold with a manual. In the rest of the world, it's 45%. There's some weird cultural thing here about avoiding manuals. And it's worse than that, most of my friends wouldn't even own a car if they didn't have to.
In a daily driver, I don't want a manual anymore. It was such a pain in DC traffic, and it wasn't even that fun to drive in the Cruze. The reliability of the GM automatic vs the manual was another consideration for me - the M32 is a piece of junk and you can't convince me otherwise. Automatics used to be pretty slow and terribly programmed, with huge ratio spreads between the gears (it is painful for me to drive a 4-speed auto anymore), and that has also improved a LOT in the past 5-7 years.

In a sporty car, like your Miata, or something like a Camaro/Corvette/Moostang, I'd absolutely have the manual.

Maybe it's because I grew up driving cable-operated clutches (74 BMW, 85 Saab, 72 VW Bug, 88 Honda), but I freaking hate most hydraulic clutch setups - they feel lifeless. My mom's 07 Accord - and Honda is supposed to do manual transmissions "right" - is one of the numbest clutch pedals in anything I've ever driven.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts