Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah - what is the access panel for? We don't get one of those on the 1st gen, but the drain plug is accessible without removing the under-engine cover. The oil filter is on the back lower passenger side of the 2.0L, sideways (cartridge-style), but it has a gutter that allows it to drain out a hole in the panel. Well, it does if it hasn't fallen off and onto your CV joint...ours is currently sitting in the basement after it did just that.
On the Gen 2 you have to remove the little panel to access the drain plug and filter. Here is a photo of the setup when you get the access plate off, looking up through the opening. Looking at this photo now (it's older), you can actually see the DEF injector up there too, to add to the exhaust system photos.

Reactions: MP81

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That sounds like the NOx catalyst which is unfortunately a part of the emission system. The oil drain door on mine loves to come loose. And those screws are really hard to get "set" right. The concept of the access panel is great, makes oil changes really easy, but man, the design is a mess.
It comes loose when it's not tightened, and the dealership did not properly tighten mine twice. The fix is to apply anti-seize on the fasteners, and when you tighten, go until you think it's almost too much, then it should let up and turn a bit more, that is the "lock" feature on those fasteners. My guess is the dealership has some oil change tech doing it and since these cars are so rare, and only the Diesel has that cover, they don't know to fully tighten it to get past that point to lock the fasteners. They are not your typical threaded fastener. With anti-seize, they go on my better to get to the "lock" point.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yeah - what is the access panel for? We don't get one of those on the 1st gen, but the drain plug is accessible without removing the under-engine cover. The oil filter is on the back lower passenger side of the 2.0L, sideways (cartridge-style), but it has a gutter that allows it to drain out a hole in the panel. Well, it does if it hasn't fallen off and onto your CV joint...ours is currently sitting in the basement after it did just that.
On the Gen 2 there is an access panel that offers access to both the oil drain plug, and filter, both on the back of the oil pan. It's well laid out, and I know about the Gen 1, and the drip feature, on one of mine it had come off and I did a weld repair to fix it and put it back on. For Gen 2 the filter cap is vertical on the bottom of the engine, and has it's own drain plug. It's a pretty good layout actually.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
pickups do it all the time. if there is a kit, and i've heard there currently isn't right now, you'll need to mod the computer to thinking everything is still there. unfortunately it is illegal to do in the eyes of the EPA, but they're just money hungry turds that can suck an egg in my opinion. gen1 cruze had a fair delete kit that at least got rid of the exhaust components. i couldn't say for the EGR or anthing like that though.
Pickups do it if there is a computer tune that will allow it.

You might not have noticed but the EPA has really started to crack down in tuners. In years past they just tolerated tuners who sold "off-road only" delete kits that were done to pickups that spent about 99.99% of their time on public roadways. It was a wink and a nod, and the EPA just figured it was a relative drop in the bucket of pickups sold so it wouldn't matter all that much.

Fast forward and we have discovered diesel emissions are a real serious problem, and they no longer tolerate tuning that deletes emissions equipment. They've sued several tuners and won consent agreements in court to the point that tuning is on a downward spiral. You'll see tuning that can increase power but it still leaves emissions equipment in place. No one really makes tuning to where you can delete, take off, block off, or otherwise eliminate emissions equipment. It's high cost, low margin, and the EPA will sue you for it now.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,582 Posts
You'll see tuning that can increase power but it still leaves emissions equipment in place.
Trifecta wouldn't even tweak the tune for the CAI I put on the car (which, being a K&N, is 50-state legal). They don't want to take any chances, and I do not blame them.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Pickups do it if there is a computer tune that will allow it.

You might not have noticed but the EPA has really started to crack down in tuners. In years past they just tolerated tuners who sold "off-road only" delete kits that were done to pickups that spent about 99.99% of their time on public roadways. It was a wink and a nod, and the EPA just figured it was a relative drop in the bucket of pickups sold so it wouldn't matter all that much.

Fast forward and we have discovered diesel emissions are a real serious problem, and they no longer tolerate tuning that deletes emissions equipment. They've sued several tuners and won consent agreements in court to the point that tuning is on a downward spiral. You'll see tuning that can increase power but it still leaves emissions equipment in place. No one really makes tuning to where you can delete, take off, block off, or otherwise eliminate emissions equipment. It's high cost, low margin, and the EPA will sue you for it now.
EPA has suspended all enforcement INDEFINITELY

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
EPA has suspended all enforcement INDEFINITELY
That's suspension of the big ticket enforcements of the clean air and clean water acts, I.E., the field personnel who are on-site enforcers at power plants, water treatment plants, etc. The suspension is to give critical operations a little bit of leeway in the coronavirus emergency. Example: a coal power plant doesn't get a delivery of some material used to wash flue gases of NOx or whatever. Well, you have to keep lights on for people, so it's overlooked for the time being. So on and so forth.

This doesn't mean engine tuners can do whatever they want now. Go ahead, but the EPA will be back to focus on them later when things begin getting closer to normal.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
is that how the car is? or did you remove 'aero panels' from either side of the exhaust tunnel?
Gen 2 does not have the aero panels that the Gen 1 has. Only has the panel below the engine, that is all. What you see in the pictures is what is there.

Reactions: boraz

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Cruze Diesel LT Sedan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
is that how the car is? or did you remove 'aero panels' from either side of the exhaust tunnel?
That’s how it is. I had put it in the air using my bosses lift when it was around 5000 miles and there wasn’t any panels. The only panel is for the under side of the engine. I’m sure the gen1 is a little different.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.