Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys and gals..i have question...so im buying the cruze hatchback in spring and im going to install the 5th gen camaro steering wheel with the paddles...I know that the first gen cruze and sonic can do this with rewiring and it works amazingly well..DOES anybody know if this would work. Really want to do this.

Thanks for any advice.

--bump--

so no one wants to help or do this to there own automatic cruze??? :unsure:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Center console

This is off the new OPEL INSIGNIA GSI.

Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel Vehicle
And the cruze wheel.

It looks like the swap can work. Any thoughts - ideas???

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
The gen 2 wheel has controls for the audio system on the back of it. Volume up/down on the left. Channel up down on the right. Since I use them frequently I'll leave mine as is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gen 2 wheel has controls for the audio system on the back of it. Volume up/down on the left. Channel up down on the right. Since I use them frequently I'll leave mine as is.

I can live without that lol. The hard part is now finding a part number and ordering the part...

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I'm not sure why you want paddles so much, but speaking from experience, I have paddle shifters on my Camaro and I really don't like them much. The paddle on one side of the wheel is for upshifting, and the other side is for downshifting. When you turn the wheel, and want to shift up or down, it is actually somewhat of a PITA to do so once the wheel gets turned past a certain point. It'd be nice if they could make it possible to shift either way from both sides of the wheel by either pushing or pulling the paddle. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have a manual transmission in my Camaro, but that's not an option with the Indy 500 version. My G8 has a manual, and I LOVE every mintue of driving that beast! (may have a little to do with the twin turbos too though)

Best of luck to you on your project.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to reassign the radio buttons to shifting. That would be a software change and you wouldn't need a new wheel.

·
10,712 Posts
View attachment 250785

View attachment 250793
And the cruze wheel.

You would be the 1st to try it(On your own dime). It could possibly be like the gen 1 Cruze and Gen 1 Sonic RS wheels look, fit and feel the exact same but you can't use the Sonic wheel buttons. Also the airbag are shaped different so you may have one fun time trying to ship an Opel explosive device that could have it's own airbag recall later on in life not warranted in this country.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Deb's car has an appointment for a recall on Wednesday. I will ask the computer wizard at the dealership if it can be done if he is in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder how hard it would be to reassign the radio buttons to shifting. That would be a software change and you wouldn't need a new wheel.

And the cruze wheel.

You would be the 1st to try it(On your own dime). It could possibly be like the gen 1 Cruze and Gen 1 Sonic RS wheels look, fit and feel the exact same but you can't use the Sonic wheel buttons. Also the airbag are shaped different so you may have one fun time trying to ship an Opel explosive device that could have it's own airbag recall later on in life not warranted in this country.
Deb's car has an appointment for a recall on Wednesday. I will ask the computer wizard at the dealership if it can be done if he is in.

I hope its just a software change. That would be the easier route lol. If its not, the GSI wheel looks like the best route...
@JDH --let me know what you can find out. If its do-able at the dealer...then this is something i will do and just add paddles to it with some tape lol

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
The dealership staff can't write software, they can only update to the latest version applicable to your VIN (with minor modifications, like if they have the special code to enable the cruise control function in a LS).

If you want to change the software to do manual shifting, it'll be an aftermarket job, if it's even possible.

Hey, @Snipesy , do you know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
The dealership staff can't write software, they can only update to the latest version applicable to your VIN (with minor modifications, like if they have the special code to enable the cruise control function in a LS).

If you want to change the software to do manual shifting, it'll be an aftermarket job, if it's even possible.

Hey, @Snipesy , do you know anything about this?
Enough to know I don't like these projects... People can quickly swamp themselves into something that will just never work (without ludicrous amounts of effort).

I will say GM vehicles are modular.... As in the whole module and everything hooked up to it, not just bits and pieces.

I think it really depends what module the padel shifter plugs into... If it plugs into the Insturment Cluster Control Module, you could honestly just hot swap it with the camaros, and it might work fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts