Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone! I just saw J's post reviewing the tires he purchased, and it reminded me I haven't yet mentioned how my new tires are treating me.

A little review on the old Firestone FR710 tires:
I've got the 215/60/16 5-spoke alloy wheels on the 1LT. These tires were on par with the no-name-brand $48/tire with an 840 tread wear rating that I put on my Cobalt when I was super broke in college. There's virtually no traction in wet conditions or on snow and ice. Taking off from a stop light in the wet was always an unpredictable process, sometimes the tires would grip, then slip. Sometimes they'd just spin until traction control cut the power and most of the time I'd end up with wheel-hop which I can't stand. The tires scream in pain and under-steer if you try to push them a little bit through a corner.

And the braking is almost dangerous when it's wet. I usually use no more than 5/10 braking pressure but one time I caught a street name that I needed to turn on kind of last second so I applied 7/10 force at 40 mph to try and make the turn. This was not a panic situation, and the tires gave up completely as I sailed right on by the street I was trying to slow down for, I was on a slight downhill and I swear it felt like I actually gained speed while the ABS was fighting for grip. Pretty scary. The FR710s also were not a fan of standing water, if you went through water more than 2 inches deep, it would pull really hard to that side. They don't move water out from under the tire quick enough and you end up on top of the water. This is called hydroplaning and it's not what you want when you're on the interstate. I got 40K miles out of those firestones (not bad) before I was down to 3/32 tread and I decided I needed new rubber. After searching tire rack and juggling performance, wear rating, and price I made my choice for replacement.

The General Altimax RT43:
I paid $96/tire for these when you include the 70K road hazard warranty, and installation. ($84/tire from tire rack) I am happy to report these tires have 100% lived up to my expectations. They have a high wear rating so they should last 60K miles at least. And despite the high wear rating, they still handle really well in corners. There's one huge bump in the middle of a corner I frequently encounter that causes the front end to go really light in the corner and actually get some air if you go more than 30 MPH. These tires will go airborne, and pick up the grip right back up where they left off when you get back on the ground. I have not yet got a chance to try their performance out in the snow/ice so I'll come back here and update when winter is here.

The traction in the wet is pretty good, FWD cars are prone to wheel spin when taking off from a stop since all the weight transfers to the rear. These tires do a great job of not slipping. If you try hard enough you can break them loose in the wet, but the best part is they keep grip when you're just trying to get up to speed. The traction in the dry is down right impressive. I didn't know the Cruze had body roll so bad. I could never get close to the kind of cornering force required to load the suspension on the old tires before they gave up. I love these tires so much I'm seriously considering using them on my MX-5 when it comes time to replace the factory Yokahama V105s it came with ($175/tire :( )

I rate 10/10 and HIGHLY recommend the RT43s. Do not make a poor decision like I did with my Cobalt and buy really cheap tires. Grip is everything when you're driving. Grip dictates your standstill acceleration, cornering abilities, and your braking distance. The compound a tire uses is especially important for use in wet, snowy, or icy weather. Do your research, find the tire that fits what YOU want out of them. All tires have their pros and cons. Tire rack is help for comparing tires. In fact it was one of their videos that made me decide to go with the Generals. (I had never previously heard of that tire brand before)

This is the video that gave the RT43 the win in my book. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Reactions: jmlo96

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I used a set of those on my 2wd Blazer a few years back.......little truck never drove better.......excellent wear characteristics as well.

I recommend these anytime someone asks.

Rob

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After re-reading my assessment I realized I focused almost solely on the sport/performance aspects. I never mentioned the ride comfort and noise. All of which are great. I don't think I pay much attention to those things which is why I didn't mention them. But I figure if I don't even think about it, it must be a good thing. Rides very well especially compared to my MX-5. I love having the thick sidewall on my Cruze tires which soak up the bumps and imperfections in the road. It may look kind of ugly but it's like riding on a cloud.

Reactions: adam784

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I recommended them to my brother, sister, and mother in laws.

They're cheap tires that performed well. My only concern is durability. How quickly do they dry rot, how good is the tread compound in wet conditions after a 2-3 years (the LRR tires were garbage in wet after a while).

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,656 Posts
I was going to put those tires on the Cavalier this year to replace the all-seasons that were just about ready to be changed.

I will likely get them for my brother's Buick when his GT Radial Champiro VP1s are worn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts